The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Ashkenazi Jews the most intelligent ethnic group?

OK I'm sure this has been discussed on here a hundred times before but I'm new, so try not lynch me if I'm resuscitating a dead debate.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I observed in the US that Jews are extremely overrepresented in top academia. Even here in the UK where Jews are far less numerous, Jews still seem to punch way above their weight academically. According to friends it's the same in France and Russia. And it doesn't take much googling to back up that observation.

Apparently, despite accounting for only about 0.25% of the world's population and 2% of the US population, Jews have accounted for 23% of all individual Nobel Laureates worldwide between 1901 and 2008, and 37% of all US recipients during the same period. In Chemistry, Economics, Medicine, and Physics, the corresponding world and US percentages are 27% and 40%, respectively. In Mathematics, Jews make up 25% of all Field Medalists and astoundingly about a half of world chess champions. I could go on an on, but I think you get the point.

Anyway, my question: realistically, what do you think accounts for this phenomenal academic achievement? Is this just a fluke? Environment-related? Or are genetic factors at play here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
Reply 2
if anything, social expectations and work ethic within their communities.
I'd probably say that it is in their culture to work hard in school and get respectable jobs, whereas maybe in other cultures (particularly for those whose families have not had many emmbers go into higher education for one reason or another) the focus is more on getting a job ASAP/looking after the kids......

It's not that obscure a conclusion to come to, as others have (and will) prove.

/thread
Reply 4
Jahmez23
if anything, social expectations and work ethic within their communities.

Yep, this. It's cultural.
Reply 5
I personally think safardi Jews are more intelligent..
Reply 6
I like jews
Reply 7
hec
I like jews

lol
Reply 8
Are Jews an ethnic group!?

I thought Judaism was a religion...
Reply 9
It's cos we rule the world, innit.

:rolleyes:
Reply 10
i would say its possible they are genetically predisposed to be more academic, though the culture is a big influence too.

Its not that radical a throught that a small, relatively insular group (not that much mixed marriages) could be genetically different enough to derive some sort of advantage.
Reply 11
ABF

Judaism is a religion, however being a Jew doesn't mean observing Judaism.
Reply 12
Fiasco
Judaism is a religion, however being a Jew doesn't mean observing Judaism.

:confused:

Explain...
Reply 13
Yazmina
I personally think safardi Jews are more intelligent..

Was this a joke? If not, why do you think that?
ABF

Why do you think the "Ashkenazi" was in there?
Ashkenazi Jews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews

There are several ethnic groups that are predominately Jewish. The Ashkenazi Jews are one of them. Because of that you can be of Ashkenazi Jewish origin and not be a practicing Jew.

There are plenty of such "Jews" in the US for example.
Reply 15
ABF

Explain...

Because "Jewishness" has traditionally been handed down genetically, since the middle-ages by matrilineage though historically pre-diaspora, patrilineage. And has been said there has been an insignificant number of mixed marriages.
Reply 16
ABF

Explain...

You're considered Jewish if:
- You are of Jewish descent, which I think can only be passed down from your mother
- If you convert to Judaism, though I think you might not be considered a true Jew
Reply 17
Liberties
Was this a joke? If not, why do you think that?

It was yes - being safardi myself.
Reply 18
Yazmina
It was yes - being safardi myself.

Ah, OK. :biggrin:
The level of ignorance about Jews and Judaism never ceases to amaze me. I appreciate that we make up a tiny proportion of the world's population but given the amount of time people spend talking about us I would have thought some basic understanding of some things would seep in.

Jews are mostly descendants of Jacob and form an ethnic group as well as a religion. This is because Jews may only marry another Jew and conversion, while possible, is difficult and discouraged (because you don't need to be Jewish). However, a convert to Judaism is every bit as Jewish as someone born Jewish.

As for Ashkenazi Jews being more intelligent, some have claimed that this is the result of centuries of persecution in Europe in which those who weren't quite so clever were more likely to have been killed in pogroms. I personally don't agree with this since I don't believe your intelligence is going to be all that much help when an angry murderous mob comes to town.

Latest

Trending

Trending