The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Ashkenazi Jews the most intelligent ethnic group?

Scroll to see replies

afua12
Generally, it's mainly believed that if your mother is Jewish, then you are Jewish. The ultra-orthadox will accept this and only this, but then the more liberal will accept converts and the children of Jewish fathers.

Just as an aside the bit in bold is untrue. Judaism of all forms accepts converts. It talks about converts in the Bible for Heaven's sake.

Sorry, but it really annoys me that people are so bloody ignorant of these basic things about Judaism.
Reply 81
UniOfLife
Just as an aside the bit in bold is untrue. Judaism of all forms accepts converts. It talks about converts in the Bible for Heaven's sake.

Sorry, but it really annoys me that people are so bloody ignorant of these basic things about Judaism.

Ok, you probably know a lot more than me about this, but that's just what I've been taught. My mistake.
afua12
Ok, you probably know a lot more than me about this, but that's just what I've been taught. My mistake.

Dare I ask by whom?
Reply 83
UniOfLife
Dare I ask by whom?

at school and from Jews.
afua12
at school and from Jews.

:hmmm: Obviously not very well informed Jews. No wonder the people of this country are so ******* ignorant.
Reply 85
maths-enthusiast
The only 'state' where they are the majority isn't successful without foreign aid. What does that tell you?

That they are surrounded by hostile neighbours, so spend a lot on defence.
I'm really surprised that you didn't know this, it is in the news quite a lot
Reply 86
Bubbles*de*Milo
Flawed how? And no idea; Ashkenazi maybe intelligent but they're clearly not the incredible super brains they're made out to be. They've traditionally (and still do) rely heavily on others. If they that intelligent, they'd be able to take care of themselves.

Are you trying to be subtly offensive?
If so, I must tell you that you have failed!
Please have a look at the Nobel list, for example, for new and independent work, and maybe have a little reflect.
laural
That they are surrounded by hostile neighbours, so spend a lot on defence.
I'm really surprised that you didn't know this, it is in the news quite a lot

They don't spend a lot. They 'beg' a lot from Anglo/ Western countries for not only military, but economic/industrial, technical, academic and other reasons.

That's often ignored in the Anglo Western news media, since it's often controlled by the group in question.
laural
Are you trying to be subtly offensive?
If so, I must tell you that you have failed!
Please have a look at the Nobel list, for example, for new and independent work, and maybe have a little reflect.

Some of the greatest minds in history never won a Nobel prize.

Some of the Nobel prize winners are so ordinary not many people today, let alone in future, know them (even in academia in said fields).

For perhaps the field requiring most ingenuity of all and eliminating biases such as language, funding, social restrictions etc, there isn't even a Nobel prize. I am talking about mathematics; dont harass me over this comment, I may be a little biased towards mathematics.

Fields Medal, before somebody brings it up, isn't the Nobel prize. Also it's awarded quadrennially (sp?), and awarded only to Westerners or similar persons, much like the Nobel Prizes.

As already mentioned, the Western world in last two centuries has been at forefront of economic, scientific, political, technological and military affairs although its advantage is receding fast. For last few decades, the West has been on the wane and is set to wane from all available indicators. I hope this brings up other parts of the world to the forefront.

Only in the West are the said group somewhat dominant, nowhere more so than USA, but that may have something to do with lack of ordinary intelligence of the general population there rather than extreme intelligence of the said group in question.
Perhaps that explains the issue well?
Reply 89
maths-enthusiast
They don't spend a lot. They 'beg' a lot from Anglo/ Western countries for not only military, but economic/industrial, technical, academic and other reasons.

That's often ignored in the Anglo Western news media, since it's often controlled by the group in question.

They do not beg, investors invest.
Have you looked at the list of technologies developed in Israel ?(rhetorical question, clearly not!) This was not charity, but canny investing!
ypo
No, I'm not Ashkenazi. I'm Desi (ethnically/largely culturally Tamil if you must know) and very proud of it.

Sure an IQ of 110 alone is not impressive at all. But that's just the average. If we were to assume IQ follows a normal distribution or something similar (not an entirely unreasonable assumption given that pretty much every measurable continuous human characteristic follows one) then the percentage of Jews above a certain high IQ level will be much higher than for other groups. Sure would go a long way in explaining a lot of the Ashkenazi achievements...

I ask you to take a few more statistics lessons first.

No offense intended.
Reply 91
maths-enthusiast
Some of the greatest minds in history never won a Nobel prize.

Some of the Nobel prize winners are so ordinary not many people today, let alone in future, know them (even in academia in said fields).

For perhaps the field requiring most ingenuity of all and eliminating biases such as language, funding, social restrictions etc, there isn't even a Nobel prize. I am talking about mathematics; dont harass me over this comment, I may be a little biased towards mathematics.

Fields Medal, before somebody brings it up, isn't the Nobel prize. Also it's awarded quadrennially (sp?), and awarded only to Westerners or similar persons, much like the Nobel Prizes.

As already mentioned, the Western world in last two centuries has been at forefront of economic, scientific, political, technological and military affairs although its advantage is receding fast. For last few decades, the West has been on the wane and is set to wane from all available indicators. I hope this brings up other parts of the world to the forefront.

Only in the West are the said group somewhat dominant, nowhere more so than USA, but that may have something to do with lack of ordinary intelligence of the general population there rather than extreme intelligence of the said group in question.
Perhaps that explains the issue well?

This is not really getting to the point, is it? Did you lose sight of where you were trying to get to?
Ashkenazi jews represent less that 0.05% of people on the planet. You cannot argue their disproportionate impact on innovation.
laural
They do not beg, investors invest.
Have you looked at the list of technologies developed in Israel ?(rhetorical question, clearly not!) This was not charity, but canny investing!

Are you ignorant? In official documentations alone, that failed 'state' begs billions of euros worth of military weapons, technologies, from its benefactor in Western world. That is also helped by the use of 'veto' all the time in UN Security Council.

The academics of that 'state' are mostly north american citizens (dual) or work/participate in collaborative activities. The said 'investors' are exclusively from one source, and the major destination of exports from that failed 'state' is none other than that same exclusive destination.

The list goes on.
Reply 93
maths-enthusiast
Are you ignorant? In official documentations alone, that failed 'state' begs billions of euros worth of military weapons, technologies, from its benefactor in Western world. That is also helped by the use of 'veto' all the time in UN Security Council.

The academics of that 'state' are mostly north american citizens (dual) or work/participate in collaborative activities. The said 'investors' are exclusively from one source, and the major destination of exports from that failed 'state' is none other than that same exclusive destination.

The list goes on.

Oh now I understand, you didn't notice the title of the thread.
Have another look, you must feel very foolish?
Ashkenazi jews are Ashkenazi jews wherever they live:wink:
Where you think the first bit fits in is beyond me, just a random rant?
laural
This is not really getting to the point, is it? Did you lose sight of where you were trying to get to?
Ashkenazi jews represent less that 0.05% of people on the planet. You cannot argue their disproportionate impact on innovation.

Certainly not when it comes to coking up stats and figures.

There are only 3million of them in the world?
Reply 95
No. They just have trade abilities.
I think that people create their best only when they surpass national borders. For example Einstein developed his physician intelligent theories, when Constantine Caratheodory made all mathematical part of theories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caratheodory
Reply 96
maths-enthusiast
Certainly not when it comes to coking up stats and figures.

There are only 3million of them in the world?

Your figures are low, there are more than that, but lets not get into the maths too much. Very small proportion of the world.
I'm surprised that you don't know why there are so few (google under Nazi) There are more jews, of course, but fewer Ashkenazi Jews.
If you did not know this why did you feel able to contribute to this thread?
Reply 97
Ashkenazi are about 11 millions around the world, by the way.
But jew is not a purely national term, so many times they incorporate themselves into the host nation.
Are u saying only 3m Ashkenazis in world exist? sorry for any typo, am typing wif 1 hand now
Reply 99
There are about 14 million Jews worldwide, 11 of them are Ashkenazi.

Latest

Trending

Trending