The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you offended by Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Islam disgusts me. Its treatment of women and stance on individual liberty is indefensible.
Yes, very much so.
Reply 22
Free Thinker
I am, I think (in the hands of men) it breaches human rights, extorts women, encourages barbaric traditions and gives nothing of any use to humanity to build upon.

I am very interested in Islam ('s destruction)

you dont sound like a free thinker, rather deluded......hmm whats the right word for someone who makes reaallly far fetched assumptions with little knowledge?
Reply 23
adhesive
You obviously don't know anything about Islam.

This. I am not a muslim, but I respect islam just as much as I respect christianity. Those who terrorise people, destroy their cities and disrespect their women are not the true believers in what this religion actually represents. There are many flaws with each and every religion around the world, but I am sometimes amazed how people only choose to see what the like to be seeing.
Reply 24
eve_22
I am not a muslim, but I respect islam just as much as I respect christianity. Those who terrorise people, destroy their cities and disrespect their women are not the true believers in what this religion actually represents.

And what are you basing this on? :rolleyes:
eve_22
This. I am not a muslim, but I respect islam just as much as I respect christianity. Those who terrorise people, destroy their cities and disrespect their women are not the true believers in what this religion actually represents. There are many flaws with each and every religion around the world, but I am sometimes amazed how people only choose to see what the like to be seeing.

Absolutely, :smile:

He is obviously completely deluded, and is influenced by what he hears opposed to the actual facts.
Reply 26
I don't think it's fair to say you are afraid of a religion.

In normal, average Muslims, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just that some people read into the religion the same way. The same thing happens with Christianity too, I'm sure. It's just that religion of any kind can capture the wrong people and give them an excuse to act in the way they do.

Because there's no real 'physical' evidence for religion, people can say whatever they like about it. And that's dangerous.

But that would never stop me, personally. I was brought up a Christian and I am not offended by any religion. I just think that some people take it too far... in all religions, not just Islam. The way some people act is not representative of their religion. In fact, most of them aren't following it at all. They're reading what they want to read about it.

All religions I see to be important and part of what brings people together. I would never class one to be superior to the others and I think people should be allowed to express themselves and to be spiritual.
TSR makes me sad sometimes. It supposedly represents the educated youth but there's so much prejudice, bigotry, ignorance and hate on here that it makes me really concerned about the future. It seems like for every open-minded, intelligent and fair poster on here, there's a moron waiting to spread their closed-minded and uneccesarily rude views.
Reply 28
Free Thinker

Quran.
Reply 29
yazoo
you dont sound like a free thinker, rather deluded......

Go away and learn what the term free thinker actually means.

Talk about little knowledge.......

eve_22
This. I am not a muslim, but I respect islam just as much as I respect christianity.

[sarcasm]you're not a muslim, so how can you have an opinion?[/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:
no but I'm offended by its religious fanatics
Reply 31
Frodz
Go away and learn what the term free thinker actually means.

Talk about little knowledge.......

[sarcasm]you're not a muslim, so how can you have an opinion?[/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

That is just ridiculous. Not being a muslim does not stop you from taking an interest in and learning about this religion.
Reply 32
Free Thinker
You really think fanaticism can be destroyed? :s-smilie:

We cannot destroy it, in order to destroy fanaticism you have to destroy oppression and cruelty, which are the causes.

True, utopias are impossible.

Free Thinker
I don't blame Islam for terrorism, I just can't see it giving anything to modern society - it is outdated. (Hanging and stoning :rolleyes:)

bristol_06
Quite wrong. Islam has clear practical solutions to a number of problems that bedevil the western world. Chiefly:

1) Alcohol: Its stance on this is fairly clear
2) Permissiveness: Islam encourages modesty in both sexes. In terms of dress, behaviour etc
3) Gender identity in the West has lost the plot. Islam recognises our true biological nature
4) Islam anticipates marital problems that may arise so encourages segregation/covering where appropriate in order to discourage male passions.
5) Encourages discipline through behaviours such as fasting during Ramadhan
6) Encourages alms giving
7) Islam has been at the forefront of academic thinking for centuries, in particular in relation to Science and Maths (although with a good deal of Indian influence).
Reply 33
Free Thinker

Knowledge. Fool!
Reply 34
eve_22
That is just ridiculous. Not being a muslim does not stop you from taking an interest in and learning about this religion.

I hoped I wouldn't have to explain.

I agree, the sarcasm was taking the piss out of those who say "you're not a Muslim/memorised the quran etc etc so you can't judge". I was pointing out that surely that should go either way.

Mr Roboto
Knowledge. Fool!

Funny how this "knowledge" isn't presented.......
Reply 35
Free Thinker
I am, I think (in the hands of men) it breaches human rights, extorts women, encourages barbaric traditions and gives nothing of any use to humanity to build upon.

I think Britain must become a secular society (which will be naturally based on christian ethics). Islam has no place in our society.

Go read the Qur'an and find me a verse that supports what you just said. Then start accusing.
Reply 36
Frodz
I hoped I wouldn't have to explain.

I agree, the sarcasm was taking the piss out of those who say "you're not a Muslim/memorised the quran etc etc so you can't judge".

Funny how this "knowledge" isn't presented.......

Sorry about not getting your point, however, there was no need for that either.
Reply 37
Naazy Joon
Go read the Qur'an and find me a verse that supports what you just said. Then start accusing.

I have a translated Qur'an, I read it and argued about it and my response was always that I need to learn arabic to fully understand it :rolleyes:

I'm not a fool, I know what they're trying to do.
"O You who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will, and you should not treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at time of marriage) you have given them, unless they commit open illegal sexual intercourse. And live with them honorably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allah brings
through it a great deal of good." (An-Nisa 4:19)

"Assuredly, women are the twin halves of men." (Sahih reported by Abu-Dawud (RA)

And when the female (infant) buried alive (as the pagan Arabs used to do)
shall be questioned. For what sin she was killed? (At-Takwir 81:8-9)

(Islams disgust for Infanticide, the religion gives rights to women)
Reply 39
Not at all. Islam is fine. Just as long as they don't convert me by force. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending