The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you offended by Islam?

I am, I think (in the hands of men) it breaches human rights, extorts women, encourages barbaric traditions and gives nothing of any use to humanity to build upon.

I think Britain must become a secular society (which will be naturally based on christian ethics). Islam has no place in our society.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EqNs7FNMkp8

LOL, did I touch a nerve? :wink: :p:

In response to the rep 2nd from top: My problem is that the minority is not a minority. And even if they do appear peaceful in the UK - remember how people like to promote their religion. There has been a huge influx of immigration of Muslims to europe over the last decade - methinks they are trying to convert the west.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rephrase that to "those who preach about Islam" 's destruction - and I'll agree. Not that you'd care if I agreed or not :p:
Reply 2
Free Thinker
I am, I think (in the hands of men) it breaches human rights, extorts women, encourages barbaric traditions and gives nothing of any use to humanity to build upon.

I am very interested in Islam ('s destruction)

Oh I get it, you hate Islam... that one took me a while
Reply 3
Free Thinker

Islam is a bit like a blank canvas. People can read the quran one way and end up believing in 3-mile wide donkeys, sunrises from the west, and people talking to ants; or they can read it in much the same way and end up strapping themselves to bombs and blowing up people who really don't deserve to be blown up. This would be what you're describing.

On the other hand, you can read things in a metaphorical sense and ignore those parts which are clearly not for our people and time (such as my own sect, Sufis, etc) and end up enjoying ... well ... commonsense and peace, for starters. Moderation is a wonderful virtue, unfortunately virtually all mainstream muslims lack any of it.

I am very interested in fanaticism's destruction.
Agnostic ftw.
Reply 5
Free Thinker

You obviously don't know anything about Islam.
And in the hands of women...?
Reply 7
I'm offended by people who are silly enough to be offended by the worlds second biggest, and fastest growing religion.
Reply 8
Nope.

I'm offended by people who abuse it and try to use it to justify bad things. Just as I'm offended by people who abuse Christianity and try to use it to justify bad things.
Reply 9
Yes, but to be fair I think the same about most religions.
Erm.. most muslims I know are more respectful than most christians I know (most of who try like hell to convert you)
I love it when an ill informed bigot posts a hate rant, when really they dont know much about the subject in question at all.

I have quite a few islamic friends. All are lovely STABLE MINDED people, who do nothing wrong, and have the same general peaceful beliefs, based on Islam.

you could say christianity breaches womens rights and a whole load of other sandra bullocks. its religion! its bound to be interpreted in different ways...

are you even islamic yourself? if not, tbh its not really your place to judge it as a bad religion, you obv dont know much about it...
I'm less offended by it than half the crap in the Bible.
Reply 13
Mr Roboto
I'm offended by people who are silly enough to be offended by the worlds second biggest, and fastest growing religion.

How does its size make it any better or worse?

There were quite a few Nazi's in WWII, that didn't make them any less offensive.
How would you feel if someone attacked your religion without having any knowledge of it. Please understand fully before you judge, have you read the Quran and understood every element? If not your opinion has no value, my friend. You may see people as 'Muslims', but how do you know they are actually practising the religion correctly? You don't. So don't disrespect the religion....or any other. Show some sensitivity.

I respect all religions. How do you expect people to respect your beliefs if you don't respect theirs?
Reply 15
Free Thinker

im looking forward to your destruction.
Reply 16
daryush
Islam is a bit like a blank canvas. People can read the quran one way and end up believing in 3-mile wide donkeys, sunrises from the west, and people talking to ants; or they can read it in much the same way and end up strapping themselves to bombs and blowing up people who really don't deserve to be blown up. This would be what you're describing.

On the other hand, you can read things in a metaphorical sense and ignore those parts which are clearly not for our people and time (such as my own sect, Sufis, etc) and end up enjoying ... well ... commonsense and peace, for starters. Moderation is a wonderful virtue, unfortunately virtually all mainstream muslims lack any of it.

I am very interested in fanaticism's destruction.

You really think fanaticism can be destroyed? :s-smilie:

We cannot destroy it, in order to destroy fanaticism you have to destroy oppression and cruelty, which are the causes.
I don't blame Islam for terrorism, I just can't see it giving anything to modern society - it is outdated. (Hanging and stoning :rolleyes:)

Furthermore, as an atheist - I would like to keep hold of christian ethics. The new testament's teachings are peaceful and based on guilt - rather than submission and fear.
Meh
Reply 18
Free Thinker

Quite wrong. Islam has clear practical solutions to a number of problems that bedevil the western world. Chiefly:

1) Alcohol: Its stance on this is fairly clear
2) Permissiveness: Islam encourages modesty in both sexes. In terms of dress, behaviour etc
3) Gender identity in the West has lost the plot. Islam recognises our true biological nature
4) Islam anticipates marital problems that may arise so encourages segregation/covering where appropriate in order to discourage male passions.
5) Encourages discipline through behaviours such as fasting during Ramadhan
6) Encourages alms giving
7) Islam has been at the forefront of academic thinking for centuries, in particular in relation to Science and Maths (although with a good deal of Indian influence).
Reply 19
stormfire
How does its size make it any better or worse?

There were quite a few Nazi's in WWII, that didn't make them any less offensive.

True. But its a worldwide thing, with no leader at the top - not motives other than actually gaining followers. If Islam wasnt, IMO a good thing, I wouldn't be a Muslim, and I would fail to see why people seem to be taking it on. You really have to read up on it and give it some thought to understand why Islam is such a loving religion.

I say this however, as a person who appreciates all religions and I have great respect for members of all religions. I understand that a lot of people these days harbour a hate for all religion blaming it as the "downfall of humanity". These people will never understand why religious people are religious.

Latest

Trending

Trending