This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Grammar Schools are Elitist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
SiaSiaSia
I knew you were in favour already -confused-

Yesssssssss, I understood that point as well :P

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from - I just said before that in my case it isn't "more" likely.

MMmm.

Your face is laughable.
Hahahahahaha not really.
But hey, that's just what my teacher [cleverest man in the world; been on university challenge, went to oxbridge, blabla] said. I probably didn't write it properly like he intended, I'm rubbish at regurgitating stuff!

Oh and Essex is the only place where they have "grammar" schools - the rest are private schools in which you sit an exam which they kept the title of a grammar school (i think it was some thing in the 1980s when they abolished it?) like manchester grammar - you pay but do an exam, so it's technically private.
I suppose I was thinking more on a term in Essex grammar schools than in general

Er that's not true. Birmingham has grammar schools which you have to pass an exam but don't have to pay, they definitely aren't private, so do loads of other places, my old school in Torquay was a grammar.
She's right that there are some schools which have the word 'grammar' in the name but are actually private but yeh, none of the ones in my hometown were fee paying.
Reply 62
Nah, the state grammar system is the fairest form of education. It means that people who are brighter academically get an education that is best suited for them whereas people who get on better in more vocational systems can go to a high school and get educated in a way best suited for them.

Of course, the system isn't perfect as idiotic parents put pressure on their children in the eleven plus and pay for tutors therefore forcing their offspring into a school where they may struggle.

Grammars aren't really elitist as they take people in based on academic ability, not social or racial background. Also they are great fun because they lump the smartest and most arrogant members of the youth population into one building to reek sweet, sweet havoc.
Reply 63
Of course they're elitist...
Some people rather like elitism.

You could go to a comprehensive and meet real people. However, you might run the risk of having poor teachers, low expectations and constant disruption, failing your exams as a result...
I thought it was more common for grammars to be state?
Its not just 11, people can go at 16. So those with later development get the chance to try at 16 and do their A-Levels at a Grammar School which will take them on to a good uni hopefully.
But seriously, these people who go to Grammar Schools, elite as they maybe, totally deserve to go there! I go to a public school, but a friend of mine who now goes to my school went to Grammar School before, Ive met her friends from there, and literally EVERYONE is an Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/etc candidate... every single one...
sulpicia
Of course they're elitist...
Some people rather like elitism.

You could go to a comprehensive and meet real people. However, you might run the risk of having poor teachers, low expectations and constant disruption, failing your exams as a result...

What do you mean 'real people'... the 25% or whatever it is that dont go to comps are just as real as those who dont. They are more likely to have better grades etc, but in every school there is a range of grades. in my (public) school, grades ranged from AS-Levels of AAAAA to DDD or ACEU.

We're all humans, being poor or rich doesnt make you 'real'.
lozz2601
I thought it was more common for grammars to be state?

When people talk about grammars they 99% of the time mean state schools. it's just there are few privates that have 'grammar' in the name for some reason but they're not really any dif from any private school which has an entrance exam.
Yeh, that's what I thought - wondered if I'd been getting mixed up for a long time!
Reply 69
Elrobi
Nah, the state grammar system is the fairest form of education. It means that people who are brighter academically get an education that is best suited for them whereas people who get on better in more vocational systems can go to a high school and get educated in a way best suited for them.

Of course, the system isn't perfect as idiotic parents put pressure on their children in the eleven plus and pay for tutors therefore forcing their offspring into a school where they may struggle.

Grammars aren't really elitist as they take people in based on academic ability, not social or racial background. Also they are great fun because they lump the smartest and most arrogant members of the youth population into one building to reek sweet, sweet havoc.

Yeah this.

I suppose you could say they are "intellectually elitist" but they're schools, so that's perfectly fair.
they have entry tests, but contary to what they say, most people who are successful have had tutoring for how to pass the exams, which is why do you only hear middle class accents there. They take the best students and the middle classes away from the comprehensives and generally they're just not fair, as are private schools really.

Saying that, if I had kids I'd do my best to get them into a grammer school or pay for private because with children I guess principles go out of the window.
Reply 71
musicalimogen
they have entry tests, but contary to what they say, most people who are successful have had tutoring for how to pass the exams, which is why do you only hear middle class accents there. They take the best students and the middle classes away from the comprehensives and generally they're just not fair, as are private schools really.

Saying that, if I had kids I'd do my best to get them into a grammer school or pay for private because with children I guess principles go out of the window.

Source about the tutoring? My experience is the complete opposite of that. I don't know anyone who received tutoring.
DaveJ
Source about the tutoring? My experience is the complete opposite of that. I don't know anyone who received tutoring.

I'd like to know about the source as well - I do know some people who had tutoring but it's a very, very, small proportion - about 5%?
DaveJ

lol my local grammer school - people either had tutoring or went to the better primary schools which intensively prepared people for 11+
lozz2601
I'd like to know about the source as well - I do know some people who had tutoring but it's a very, very, small proportion - about 5%?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7778608.stm - not really statistic but hey
Reply 75
musicalimogen
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7778608.stm - not really statistic but hey

That story and your school indicate that tuition is happening. However, it does not prove "the majority" are tutored for going to a grammar school.

You've also provided no evidence to say if tuition actually helps people to get in, or if it has negligible effects on a pupil's ability to gain entry to a grammar school.
Reply 76
Well, there's nothing more I can say really as it would appear it's been deabted out, but my opinion would be that they are elitist. It seems rather silly pointing out why when they've already been said.

aforalice
Basically
1)Money can give you an advantage because some people pay for tutors to get their averagely intelligent children to pass the 11+.
2)They can be somewhat socially eleitist since middle class parents are more likely to have the kind of aspirations for their children that will push them into taking the entrace exams.
3) They can damage comprehensive schools by creaming off what would have been their best students.

But then again they're great schools. I went to a grammar for 6th form and loved it after despising my comp. I would never be at the uni I am now if I'd stayed or would have the great friends I do, so in a way I owe grammars a lot so I can't find it in me to criticise them too much. But I can also see their downsides since I've seen both sides of the fence... it's naive to suggest they're faultless.

FiatDriver
Definition of elite: a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status (source)

So yes, they are. You need to be of a certain intellectual standard in order to gain admittance to grammar schools. That's what makes them grammar schools. If this wasn't the case, they wouldn't be grammar schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending