The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Grammar Schools are Elitist?

Discuss

Also would you say it is unfair for the late developers who are brighter later on, as grammar schools take you in at 11. Children who don't get in aren't given a greater chance to be as good as children in grammar schools. This even affects you in later life as you will never have the same study habits or discipline as a grammar school student.

Scroll to see replies

Because they have entry tests?
Reply 2
Definition of elite: a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status (source)

So yes, they are. You need to be of a certain intellectual standard in order to gain admittance to grammar schools. That's what makes them grammar schools. If this wasn't the case, they wouldn't be grammar schools.
Reply 3
You're right. So is capitalism. Get over it or move to Russia.
Reply 4
Obviously, but it's not a bad thing
errm...yes.

altho its your intellect when your 11 is it not...

so inevitably people will progres differently...
Elitist in terms of intellect, but, unlike private schools, not in terms of class. Grammar schools rock.
..........but i dont enjoy having a superior intellectual ability, i want chavs to possess the ability to understand that tucking tracksuits into their socks is not cool.

........ nah im kidding elitest grammar school kids ftw, its more amsuing that way :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8
I had the chance to go to one of the best grammar schools in the country but turned it down in favour of my local state school, needless to say I regret that decision.

The only people who will EVER complain about the "elitism" in grammar schools are the people that never had the opportunity to attend one.

And like EssexDan says, they aren't elite in terms of class, as a great deal of the people who attend the school are working class.
Reply 9
Elitist in terms of intelligence in Northern Ireland everyone sits the 11plus test, determining if you get into a Grammar school or not.

However there very strict, in terms of uniform discipline etc.
On the plus side it costs me £60 pounds a year for a pretty top class Grammar school, compare that to paying for an English Private school.
calvinuk
The only people who will EVER complain about the "elitism" in grammar schools are the people that never had the opportunity to attend one.

That would be me complaining then. I could have gone but didn't. Then I had another chance to go in the sixth form. I had a friend who had reasonable GCSE's like me. He went on to get AAAb and has an offer from Imperial. I got BBBc. I should have gone.
Reply 11
[QUOTE="cruciform"]
calvinuk

That would be me complaining then. I could have gone but didn't. Then I had another chance to go in the sixth form. I had a friend who had reasonable GCSE's like me. He went on to get AAAb and has an offer from Imperial. I got BBBc. I should have gone.

I'm slightly nervous of being in the same boat as you, my friend.

When I was younger, I was considered a bit of a child genius, hence why I could have gone to Leeds grammar school for basically nothing, as there was no way my parents could afford it outright.

I declined the offer, instead going to my local school, which is distinctly average.

Now, whenever I go to inter-school competitions, guess where my school rank? In the FM competition we came about 25/32.
Reply 12
Oogamy
You're right. So is capitalism. Get over it or move to Russia.

Ooooh. Snap. What an unbelievably perceptive, apt, witty, and totally reasonable response.

Yes. Grammar schools are elitist. I go to one, and it's packed to the brim with disproportionately rich kids. Poor and stupid are generally considered by the vast majority of people here to mean the same thing :shifty: And I doubt, really, that it's helped any of us academically to be there.
Reply 13
Well they're intellectually elitist I suppose, but that's fair IMO, because you know, education is about being intellectual.
Reply 14
If the 'late-developers' come into their own and decide they want to go to a grammar school, then they can apply to one and if they come in the top 3 in their year they can get into the grammar school. That's what happens in my school anyways, we have 2 students in our year who transferred from the local comp. But it works both ways I suppose; 2/3 girls in our year have since transferred to a comp because they said they couldn't handle the work.
I don't understand why everyone thinks all schools should be the same.

Grammar schools are great for some kids. For other kids who don't like pressure or aren't that academic grammar schools are the worst places to go. Some kids are better off at comprehensives. It really depends on the child.
Reply 16
I think its fair in terms of everybody getting an equal chance to get in, unlike private schools.
What isn't fair is that those who don't get in are more likely to have an education that doesn't suit them. It's sad school isn't more vocational for those who don't want to or can't do well academically. Not all students are treated fairly in education.
On related note to remove grammar schools altogether like Sinn Fein is attempting to in Northern Ireland isn't helping anybody.
The ray of hope for those who fall victim to an imperfect system is like star_5 said, the opportunity to transfer.
EssexDan86
Elitist in terms of intellect, but, unlike private schools, not in terms of class. Grammar schools rock.

:ditto:

And with regards to the whole late developers thing...at my school the boy's sit a different test to the girls to account for the fact that their intelligence develops later than ours , so in some cases it is slightly considered.

(And anyone who wants to move schools later can transfer if there is a space and they have achieved the set academic requirements)

Grammar Schools are the bestest :p:
Basically
1)Money can give you an advantage because some people pay for tutors to get their averagely intelligent children to pass the 11+.
2)They can be somewhat socially eleitist since middle class parents are more likely to have the kind of aspirations for their children that will push them into taking the entrace exams.
3) They can damage comprehensive schools by creaming off what would have been their best students.

But then again they're great schools. I went to a grammar for 6th form and loved it after despising my comp. I would never be at the uni I am now if I'd stayed or would have the great friends I do, so in a way I owe grammars a lot so I can't find it in me to criticise them too much. But I can also see their downsides since I've seen both sides of the fence... it's naive to suggest they're faultless.
Reply 19
aforalice
Basically
1)Money can give you an advantage because some people pay for tutors to get their averagely intelligent children to pass the 11+.
2)They can be somewhat socially eleitist since middle class parents are more likely to have the kind of aspirations for their children that will push them into taking the entrace exams.
3) They can damage comprehensive schools by creaming off what would have been their best students.

1) Surely if they can afford a tutor they can afford a private school anyway so wouldn't be sending their child to a grammar school.
2) I'm currently at a grammar school and I can say in the 7 years of being here social elitism has never been a noticeable factor in anything.
3) The school is there to serve the pupils not the other way round.

Latest

Trending

Trending