The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I think university fees should be abolished

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Seven_Three
Well you wouldn't have a choice. If I went to study herbology or womans studies or anything the government is going to loan me money for it.

It's you I'd have the problem with, not your course choice. I'm happy for people to be educated in whatever THEY want to be educated in.

Seven_Three
People profit by having an education or free time to live off their loan or the lower taxes from being a student ect.

Lol why would I move abroad if there is something plainly wrong happening over here? I'd want to stay here and solve it wouldn't I.

Errr...wut? :p:
You ignored her point about you taking out loans, too.
Chattykatty88
If the government abolished fees then maybe they could aim for targets like 75-80% of youngsters going to university. If Britain wants to be a competitive economy with skilled and educated people, it needs to aim to get the whole of its young generation through the doors of a university. Britain annually churns out 300,000 graduates, whereas countries such as India and China churn out 2-3million. Therefore how can we compete? By removing the barriers that prevent people from going to uni; namely tuition fees. What do you guys think?

all it would mean is an extra 5 million media students that can't get a job afterwards :P

I'd much rather they tried justifying why university fees went up from a grand to 3, never quite been able to work that out myself, ye know being a logical person and looking at the rate of inflation, and then hearing the the year i go to uni the fees were getting tripled (bar stewards :P )
Reply 122
Voice of Reason
all it would mean is an extra 5 million media students that can't get a job afterwards :P

I'd much rather they tried justifying why university fees went up from a grand to 3, never quite been able to work that out myself, ye know being a logical person and looking at the rate of inflation, and then hearing the the year i go to uni the fees were getting tripled (bar stewards :P )

More requirement for higher costing facilities.
Seven_Three
I think fees for hard science, medical students ect should be abolished because these are productive and highly valued. And pay for that by taking away the loans for art, music, performing arts and others I can't think of, maybe psychology? Too many people goto uni to **** around for three years, not to get an education to go into employment.

Now i know this isn't the main debate of the discussion but would like to put my point across.
I am a student who hopes for career in performing arts so am studying at uni to improve as performer and to gain experience. are you sayingthat just because I am not doing science I shouldn't be able to get a loan??!! Seems shallow and narrowminded to me as you seem to be classifying only science as "proper" and useful subjects. Bull. People go to uni's for different reasons, some for a three year holiday, but those people can also be on medical courses. Do not generalise. I have worked my arse off in performing arts in the past and intend to continue that at uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending