The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I think university fees should be abolished

If the government abolished fees then maybe they could aim for targets like 75-80% of youngsters going to university. If Britain wants to be a competitive economy with skilled and educated people, it needs to aim to get the whole of its young generation through the doors of a university. Britain annually churns out 300,000 graduates, whereas countries such as India and China churn out 2-3million. Therefore how can we compete? By removing the barriers that prevent people from going to uni; namely tuition fees. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

wouldnt that just make more people end up competing for jobs?
Chattykatty88
If the government abolished fees then maybe they could aim for targets like 75-80% of youngsters going to university. If Britain wants to be a competitive economy with skilled and educated people, it needs to aim to get the whole of its young generation through the doors of a university. Britain annually churns out 300,000 graduates, whereas countries such as India and China churn out 2-3million. Therefore how can we compete? By removing the barriers that prevent people from going to uni; namely tuition fees. What do you guys think?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1566545/Less-than-half-of-pupils-hit-GCSE-target.html - I would say we should start here.
I think you should be abolished...
but isn't university initially private school?
plus, to do this taxes would need to be raised, or at least more money that comes from taxes would need to be spent on unis which would mean that other sectors would suffer.
Chattykatty88

China, India and the UK all have the same population :biggrin:
ScholarsInk
China, India and the UK all have the same population :biggrin:

Obviously... I think the UK have a *slightly* larger population according to the last census...
Pi_3.141592654
wouldnt that just make more people end up competing for jobs?

Jesus christ!! A well educated populus?! Noeees :rolleyes:
Its all very well in theory, but i dont think ti works in reality. The cost would be huge, and i dont think it would be value for money. Keep univeristy fees, but put more public money into other forms of support and training for people aged 14+. Not everyone wants to or should go uni, and theres a lot of people who are forgotten by the system and a relativly early age.
SpiritedAway

Buckinghamshire New University and Open University, yes; the rest, no.
Chattykatty88

75-80%? lol.. not all vocations need university training. IMO, that's too high a figure.

Besides, UK productivity has improved relative to other major advanced economies in recent years. While having an educated workforce is good for future economic wellbeing and health, we should also improve investment in the economy to raise our productivity level even higher. #

huh? Most UK unis are publicly funded.
if eveyone wants graduate employment, who sweeps the streets? empties the bins? cleans public toilets?

we cant become super-elite, without flying in immigrants to do meanial jobs (bad idea) or returning to slavery (worse idea)

tuition fees are necessary, and if you dont want to pay them, then you dont really want to go to university - in which case we're all better off if you dont go and waste a tutors valuble time
samanthaelizabeth

we cant become super-elite, without flying in immigrants to do meanial jobs (bad idea) or returning to slavery (worse idea)

It seems to be working in Dubai...
Reply 13
I think tuition fees should be higher. I don't like the fact I pay 100k/year or so of my taxes to pay for tards studying degrees that will be useless for ever longer.
Reply 14
samanthaelizabeth
if eveyone wants graduate employment, who sweeps the streets? empties the bins? cleans public toilets?

tuition fees are necessary, and if you dont want to pay them, then you dont really want to go to university - in which case we're all better off if you dont go and waste a tutors valuble time

This

Some people just don't WANT to go to university. Other options are already ignored enough - we don't want to make that even worse.
I value my education enough to pay for it.
Reply 15
Chattykatty88

You'd still pay for it, indirectly. Not to mention that a 60m nation can't produce the same number of graduates as a country with a 1bn pop. If we produce 10% of what they do, relative to our population differences we are doing pretty well.

Their are plenty of grants available to low-income students. My only gripe is how they base your entitlement on your parents earnings, whether they are able to help you or not. Plus they don't exactly help you in getting the money you need. I found out recently I was eligible for quite a few grants, but no-one ever told me and I assumed I wasn't eligible for anything.
Reply 16
stringsandthings
Jesus christ!! A well educated populus?! Noeees :rolleyes:

I think you can over-educate a population. No point having 3m doctors and no plasterers.
Not everyone wants to go to university! Plus, the job market will become saturated with graduates, it's silly.

ED: even though it would be better if there weren't as many fees! :p:
Reply 18
I think the EMA should be abolished for the #10 and #20 bands (where's my pound sign :s-smilie: ?) and kept for the #30, and that money spent on reducing tutition fees.
Reply 19
Chattykatty88

Considering that the United Kingdom is roughly one-twentieth as populous as either of the countries in question, I'd say our ratio compares rather favourably.

Latest

Trending

Trending