The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are firefighters less respectable than doctors?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Firefighters put their lives at risk to save others.........Doctors put their careers at risk...........hmmmmm
I passed my written exams for the fire service on wednesday, going for the physicals on saturday!

I wasn't gonna say anything about it on TSR until I got at least through to the interview stage, but this thread has really reinforced my commitment to becoming a firefighter. When I tell people I know sometimes it's like 'oh yeah thats cool and stuff but the pay is rubbish so why bother?'

I'm giving up a decent job in the finance industry to do it, and its a big drop in pay, but i'd rather spend the majority of my working life doing something worthwhile and actually helping people than earning loads of money so I can have a big house and car and three holidays in the carribbean every year.

*breathes in* anyway, wish me luck for the physicals!
Putting a life on the line is in both jobs, whether it's their own or their patients but both do it and have to make moral judgements that may haunt them for the rest of their lives. Both jobs have cross over points and at the end of the day, both professions could save your life.
I don't really judge these professions as to which is better because when you think about it, the risk involved is just as high in both and under pressure they do a good job...(unlike me sometimes heheh = =)

Latest

Trending

Trending