The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ttx
Reliably shooting someone in the head from distance is incredibly hard (compared to a shot to the chest), although technically possible. But all of the buildings that would have been vantage points would have been cleared out before hand.

I honestly believe he has more to fear from an inside job than any external threat.
DaveParlour
Yes the whole positive racism thing pissed me off as well, but you can't deny that any US president is an assassination target. Obama being black puts him at more risk as there are many racists in America, even within government organisations, that find the idea of a black president disgusting and could conspire to assassinate him. Especially if he is going to go so strongly against right wing policies.

You have a point that it's scary for any president. Being black does increase his chances of being a target but as much as there are crazy racists willing to kill people because they don't like their skin colour, most people plan to murder a President for many other reasons. Skin colour is just one additional trait.

I don't think he's going to go against right wing policies. In any case "right-wing" and "left-wing" concepts do not apply in the same way in every country. Obama's policies will not appear any more left-wing than most European right-wing parties. It's all relative.
And the idiot being annoyed at people saying Obama is the first African-American President...i guess you're not all that big on civil rights if they don't help the whites?
SamTheMan
You have a point that it's scary for any president. Being black does increase his chances of being a target but as much as there are crazy racists willing to kill people because they don't like their skin colour, most people plan to murder a President for many other reasons. Skin colour is just one additional trait.

I don't think he's going to go against right wing policies. In any case "right-wing" and "left-wing" concepts do not apply in the same way in every country. Obama's policies will not appear any more left-wing than most European right-wing parties. It's all relative.

Very well said. The two parties in the USA are both pretty right wing. Just that one party is far more right wing than the other.
Im sure you all agree that this is a great time for everybody, lets not underestimate the importance of these momentous events, this is history, we are a part of it. This IS a giant leap for mankind, all because of a guy who got teased for his initials at school. Three cheers for the bullies!

BTW I've never met any pretty right wingers, although some would argue for Ann Coulter, bit bony for me though.
Reply 985
Why does this thread, which is stickied and presumably the main Obama discussion one, have such a stupid poll? It'll be annoying to see that for the next few months...
Can a man who can't recite 35 words run a country properly?
people are fools who will jump on anything, guess what it was the judge that did it wrong, thats why Obama stop cos the judge said it wrong

Barack didn't want to embarrass the Chief Justice by not repeating what he said, but still knowing the oath himself, and knowing it was not correctly done.
Reply 987
people should stop hatin on obama hes got lots of pressure on him. instead of talking about his race, or whether hes going to **** up or not, or his reciting of words, you should just wish that he does something good for the world and have faith in him :smile:

so what if he got his words mixed up it was probably the most important day of his life, im sure anyone would be nervous enough to get tongue twisted. hes only human.
yeah but people like everything to be 100%, and if not so they can pick on them for that one matter

if not as if a whoke country was watching him, a whole world, pretty sure thats something he has never faced before

the oath, which is enshrined in the Constitution, is the phrase "... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States."
Reply 989
yeah but noones perfect so give the guy a flippin break! im sure he has enough on his plate without people criticising his small mistake :smile:
lol i sure he does, a failed economy, a failed war, a failed country,

no ones prefect i mean look at bush
Reply 991
robinson999
lol i sure he does, a failed economy, a failed war, a failed country,

no ones prefect i mean look at bush

lol

obama now has the hard job of returning the USA to the previous good state that it was in
menaa-x
lol

obama now has the hard job of returning the USA to the previous good state that it was in

lol well yeah he was a bit

lol his dose but he can do it
Reply 993
robinson999
lol well yeah he was a bit

lol his dose but he can do it

i hope so :biggrin:
so do i :biggrin:
Reply 995
sohanshah
Very well said. The two parties in the USA are both pretty right wing. Just that one party is far more right wing than the other.

This is true, but Obama has promised much more traditional "left-wing" changes - e.g. changes to the healthcare system and schools. Therefore many people think that he will face considerable opposition from both Republicans and conservative Democrats.

Personally I'm not sure about the case for assassination based on this, but he'll certainly be more at risk from attack (in terms of attack on reputation and character) from the American industries which are stronger and more influential then over here.
Reply 996
1002nd post
I think Barak Obama has a long way to go before he can put things right in the USA and he has made a new start already with what he has been saying on News24 and other tv channels.But because of the state of things financial in the USA and the loss of jobs etc there its going to take a while before things change.He has lots to do only in a short time(4 years) unless the American people voted him in after this for another term depending upon that is how well he does:biggrin:
Reply 998
Aihara
fail thread is fail

That's a Bush-ism
He's really charasmatic, and oestansibly appears like a nice bloke. However, what are his politics? I know he's a democrat, and he's very pro Israel (AIPAC 2008 conference :mad: ), but apart from that, what is there?
Obviously if I were American I'd know much more about him, but that assides, look at the average voter.
Did they really vote in Obama because they love his policies, or because he's very charismatic (and not George Bush :p:) and they were mesmerised by him. The amount of black and Latino voters shot up massively, and they had a massive effect on the electorate and Obama's win. Were they really moved by Obama's fiscal policy? Or was it not a highly racially motivated campaign; he's black - he stands for us. If he was an old white guy, but identical personality, would he have won by such a landslide? Did Obama touch the black community with his views on healthcare, or did they just see his skin colour, and the fact he's different to anyone they'd ever had before.
At the end of the day, if Obama had been a old WASP (White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant) as per usual, he wouldn;t have been anywhere near as popular.
Why are celebs like Kanye West supporting him? Because he's black. Look at the song by Young Jeezy; MY PRESIDENT IS BLACK. Not, My President has a great fiscal policy, but, My President is black. Clearly a hell of a lot of that campaign was racially motivated, and I reckon it's the reason Obama won, or at least won by a landslide.

Edit: The blacks who vote generally in the past are allied to the Democrats, but a lot of blacks had never been politically motivated (and thus not allied to anyone) untill Obama came into the running.
Though, yeah, I see how you mean. I didn't say that categorically the reason he won was because he was black, just that I think this election, despite it all, was very racially motivated.
Obama has been portrayed as a demi-God/a saviour of America; this wouldn't be the case if he was white. Most presidential candidates don't receive the love/press he has, and his policies are not like completely different to former candidates. His style of politics/political idealogy, is nothing special/unusual. So it must be something else which leads to him having this God like status...

Latest

Trending

Trending