The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is the British public so negative?

Scroll to see replies

I'd agree that the British public in general is negative. If you look at the British newspapers they love to build celebrities up but they love it even more when they are down on hard times look at Britney Spears and Amy Winehouse. I dont think it has anything to do with the weather, I think it is just a mentality. Obv the economic situation has worsened things. But I think people in general put people down in order to feel better about themselves...thats why I think people are negative. OR its just jealousy.
Reply 21
It's got to do with the British pysche and the weather. Brits share an ancestral psyche with pagans and Catholics. Originally we were pagan and then along came some monks and changed the landscape of the British psyche. That's the smoking gun, so-to-speak. The transition from pagan to Christian has probably lead to a lot of guilt and shame and crest-falleness.

The weather is gloomy; the clouds are slate grey on grey. So we pump ourselves full of drugs, beer and food and we are no longer in tune with the natural high that coems with living under sunny days. We are controlled in many ways by our past and our present environment. And it aint too good.
Reply 22
Nick_000
We are overwhelmingly negative.

Watch the link below by Russell Howard. It just sums the media in Britain and how all they report is doom and gloom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5_joo5l5I

I didnt even watch it but im sure i know what youre talking about that man is awesome

Now my response:

Why is the British public so negative?
To stop us becoming American
Reply 23
Americans are very sunny people, in my experience. They are slightly wacky too. I worked with a couple from California. They were Church goers. They were nice but a little whacky and always with a sunny appearance. They've been living here for 10 years or so and they said that they get gloomy days more over here than in their own country. She, the woman, said that Brits are not very good talkers - sometimes very cold and austere, and Americans use language as part of the way they feel.

I like the Spanish attitude to life myself: relaxed.
Reply 24
sleekchic
We are not negative about everything except the weather, Brown, and the EU

in which we're super negative.:awesome:
Reply 25
Martyn*
Americans are very sunny people, in my experience. They are slightly wacky too. I worked with a couple from California. They were Church goers. They were nice but a little whacky and always with a sunny appearance. They've been living here for 10 years or so and they said that they get gloomy days more over here than in their own country. She, the woman, said that Brits are not very good talkers - sometimes very cold and austere, and Americans use language as part of the way they feel.

I prefer the German attitude. Cold-hearted and a good work ethic. Sehr gut!!!
But it seems to stem from low self esteem-any friendliness is deemed sycophantic, anyone happy is deemed smug, etc etc just petty, there seems to be a lot of people that take their own talents so seriously and resent others success.
Martyn*

The weather is gloomy; the clouds are slate grey on grey. So we pump ourselves full of drugs, beer and food and we are no longer in tune with the natural high that coems with living under sunny days. We are controlled in many ways by our past and our present environment. And it aint too good.

It doesnt make me gloomy. Besides the weather on the south edge is fine, it really is pretty sunny. It is terribly boring to moan about weather.
Reply 28
Weather depression, probably.
I agree with the realists comment :yes:
But tbh, you find over stuff like the Maddie McCann case, the portuguese were pretty cynical and ready to believe the worst. Even the Americans aren't as sunny and ready to see good in people as they make out IMO.
nigel_s
I prefer the German attitude. Cold-hearted and a good work ethic. Sehr gut!!!

i take it you haven't been to germany. they're rather friendly people and like to start conversation anywhere
Reply 32
spike_spiegel
i take it you haven't been to germany. they're rather friendly people and like to start conversation anywhere

I have been to Deutschland, thank you very much. I spent a nice weekend here.

During the time I was there, productivity was up 125%!!
Reply 33
Martyn*

:laugh:
Reply 34
the british public are uba citical
naivesincerity
I don't know how other populaces compare, but if you ever look at those 'leave your comments' thingys on the web, it's amazing how negative and petty they are and how critical they are of success.

Is this human nature or are the Brits really this sad?

I think the French and Germans are far more pessimistic, what do you think?
Reply 36
In general people tend to be quite realistic and their views are often under stated. That said that's by no means everyone, any more than every American is overstated, or every Frenchman cynical.
Reply 37
why not?
Made in the USA
I think the French and Germans are far more pessimistic, what do you think?

I don't have much knowledge of them actually. I think the French are more open to accomplishments and talking about them(akin to the Americans strangely) than we are though.
naivesincerity
I don't have much knowledge of them actually. I think the French are more open to accomplishments and talking about them(akin to the Americans strangely) than we are though.

You might find this poll interesting:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=585

Generally northern Europeans are happier than southern Europeans and Americans are the happiest and most optimistic of all people surveyed. It doesn't surprise me that the Greeks are among the most miserable of all Europeans. If you tell a Greek person about an idea you have, they almost always tell you why it will fail.

Latest

Trending

Trending