The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is the British public so negative?

I don't know how other populaces compare, but if you ever look at those 'leave your comments' thingys on the web, it's amazing how negative and petty they are and how critical they are of success.

Is this human nature or are the Brits really this sad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brits really are that sad.

But, what leave you comments thingys on the web are you referring to?
Reply 2
Because it rains so much.

And as Clarkson said, we have a "One-eyed Scottish idiot" for PM.
MaxMara
Brits really are that sad.

But, what leave you comments thingys on the web are you referring to?

Comments on shows, forums, discussion boards, bbc whatever.
Maybe it's just when commenting you?...

:P:

But no, really- We are a cheerily miserable lot
Reply 5
We're realists.
Reply 6
so we're ready for disapointment.
Yup, we're miserable bastards. And I'm being 100% serious.
Because so many read the Daily Mail/Express/Mirror and are therefore scared of everything in the country.
Reply 9
British people moaning about how negative the british people are..

Brilliant.
Really depends what you're on about. I'm sure we're not negative about everything.
We are not negative about everything except the weather, Brown, and the EU
Reply 12
It's certainly true, and quite frustrating. I imagine the issue is magnified in our minds by choosing to participate in forums like this. In general, normal people very rarely have to listen to the thoughts and opinions of others, ditto all these 'comments' functions on website - which are probably dominated by oddballs.

Which is why I think I'll probably leave the internet behind and find other sources of entertainment in the future.

Tyrannosaurus Cal
Because so many read the Daily Mail/Express/Mirror and are therefore scared of everything in the country.

Perhaps so.
Reply 13
We are overwhelmingly negative.

Watch the link below by Russell Howard. It just sums the media in Britain and how all they report is doom and gloom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5_joo5l5I
Reply 14
because todays top stories on the papers seem to be about the british first lady; Jade Goody
Nick_000
We are overwhelmingly negative.

Watch the link below by Russell Howard. It just sums the media in Britain and how all they report is doom and gloom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5_joo5l5I

lulz :clap2:
Reply 16
naivesincerity
I don't know how other populaces compare, but if you ever look at those 'leave your comments' thingys on the web, it's amazing how negative and petty they are and how critical they are of success.

Is this human nature or are the Brits really this sad?

have you seen the weather most of the time in the uk? :tongue:
I remembered something on TV a while ago, about the British liking a good moan about how many things we lose - sporting events, for example.
I reckon it won't change until we win the world cup again. Its bloody embarrassing having not won it for so long.
Reply 18
No, we are a beacon of understated elegance and sophistication. Obviously if you are a slave to instant gratification it would be difficult to appreciate that.
Reply 19
Because we like to moan, yay! <- That wasn't negative :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending