The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gyyy2807
I am so going to **** this exam up. The past papers are so ******* hard - harder than further maths imo and that was bad enough.

*waves* I decided against doing it :wink: I'm only doing Economics at university and it's not included in my offer, so no point given how incredibly hard it is. i'd scrape a merit at best...
Reply 122
sil3nt_cha0s
*waves* I decided against doing it :wink: I'm only doing Economics at university and it's not included in my offer, so no point given how incredibly hard it is. i'd scrape a merit at best...

Surely getting a merit is better than not doing it? :confused:

Personally, I'm pretty much going to fail it and none of my unis require it but I'll be going and trying my best regardless.
Reply 123
I really don't know whether to do the paper tomorrow! I got about 80ish on the 2008 but am getting about 45-55 on all of the others! Does anyone know if I have to write it on UCAS if I fail? Also, did anyone else find the 2002 Specimen paper one of the hardest? Because everyone else has been saying how the specimens are supposed to be easy!
Reply 124
koki234
Does anyone know if I have to write it on UCAS if I fail?

Yes, even a U has to be declared.
Reply 125
Swayum
Yes, even a U has to be declared.

Oh okay, thanks. I don't think I'm going to do it then!
koki234
Oh okay, thanks. I don't think I'm going to do it then!

Are you sure you can drop out now? Won't it go down as a U anyway if you don't go to the exam at this stage?
You can drop out now and you dont have to declare it on your UCAS (and you dont get a grade for it i think) as some lower sixth students were allowed to cancel it.
But if you sit it and get a U it has to be declared yes.

Also, have people actually been revising this?? O.o Didn't think it really needed revising its just aea.. I suppose if it's part of a uni offer you have an excuse though :p:

and lastly, whats the grade boundaries? ive heard loads of numbers thrown around liek 50% merit 80% distinction? are they in the ballpark?
WhySoLimey
You can drop out now and you dont have to declare it on your UCAS (and you dont get a grade for it i think) as some lower sixth students were allowed to cancel it.
But if you sit it and get a U it has to be declared yes.

Also, have people actually been revising this?? O.o Didn't think it really needed revising its just aea.. I suppose if it's part of a uni offer you have an excuse though :p:

and lastly, whats the grade boundaries? ive heard loads of numbers thrown around liek 50% merit 80% distinction? are they in the ballpark?

Around 50something for merit, 70-80 for distinction i think it was
WhySoLimey
Thanks :biggrin: only 50/70 then, thats out of 100 i take it?

Yep, and it doesn't seem to vary too much... so 75 should guarantee a distinction and 55 should guarantee a merit (of course this is difficult to estimate due to the S & T marks...):smile:
8 Horizontal
Yep, and it doesn't seem to vary too much... so 75 should guarantee a distinction and 55 should guarantee a merit (of course this is difficult to estimate due to the S & T marks...):smile:

What are you aiming for on the paper today?
Reply 133
does anyone really think they'll get a distinction?? am i just being pessimistic?
Reply 134
is anyone writing at Campbell Harris Tutors in Kensington?
if the paper is going to be as ''hard'' as june 08 then i think i could get a distinction... -.-'
Reply 136
help meh darkness!
darkness9999
if the paper is going to be as ''hard'' as june 08 then i think i could get a distinction... -.-'

lol. I liked that paper. shame it was last year. They'll probably give us a really hard this year to compensate for 2008.

Can somebody help with the 2004 paper?

Question 4:

The circle with centre C and radius r touches the y-axis at (0,4) and also touches the line with equation 4y - 3x = 0.

a) i) Find the value of r.

ii) Show that arctan(3/4) + 2arctan(1/2) = pi/2

The line with equation 4x + 3y = q, q>12 is a tangent to the circle

b) Find the value of q.

I've done a)i) and the answer is r = 2.

But I don't understand how to do part ii) or b).

the first thing to note for part (b) is that the line they gave you is perpendicular to the line in part (a) ...! they also gave you something really useful(q>12) that means now you know where the line lies... try to do a little sketch i bet you will figure it out...!

for a
(ii) you can do it the hard way and prove that (using identities) that the denominator will equal zero ... or you just refere the expression to your diagram... arctan(1/2) ===> angle between the x axes and the line joining the origin to the centre of the circle
darkness9999
the first thing to note for part (b) is that the line they gave you is perpendicular to the line in part (a) ...! they also gave you something really useful(q>12) that means now you know where the line lies... try to do a little sketch i bet you will figure it out...!

for a
(ii) you can do it the hard way and prove that (using identities) that the denominator will equal zero ... or you just refere the expression to your diagram... arctan(1/2) ===> angle between the x axes and the line joining the origin to the centre of the circle

for part b) i've drawn a diagram, and worked out the y-intercept is q/3. but I still don't understand how to work out q?

and i've managed the bit for part a)ii) thanks :smile:

Latest