The Student Room Group

Distinction in Maths?

How do you get a distinction in Maths at A level or GCSE if it's possible? What marks do you need or is there something more to it than just that? Thanks.
Reply 1
100% in all your modules?
Reply 2
Am I being stupid if I ask what a distinction is with regard to A-levels and GCSEs? To the best of my knowledge all you get is a grade, which is, at maximum, A* at GCSE, A at AS or A* at A-level. You can get 100% in all your modules but I don't think that brings with it any extra benefit (apart from the satisfaction of having done it, and maybe a letter from the exam board).
Reply 3
You can't.
Reply 4
You can do something called an AEA, which is a hard maths exam based on the core maths of A-level, where the highest grade possible is a Distinction. But it is a lot harder than A-level.
Reply 5
Planto
You can't.

Why's that? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
KiranG

Because there is no such grade?
Reply 7
KiranG

"Distinction" isn't something you can get at GCSE or A-level, all you get is a grade. You can get "Distinctions" in AEAs, the Pre-U, BTEC, music grades, among other qualifications, but in GCSE all you can get is A*-G/U and in A-level all you can get is A*-E/U. There's no "distinction", "pass", "merit" or suchlike.
Reply 8
nuodai
Am I being stupid if I ask what a distinction is with regard to A-levels and GCSEs? To the best of my knowledge all you get is a grade, which is, at maximum, A* at GCSE, A at AS or A* at A-level. You can get 100% in all your modules but I don't think that brings with it any extra benefit (apart from the satisfaction of having done it, and maybe a letter from the exam board).

I don't know about your exam board but with CIE, we have had quite a number of students score 100% in AS/A Level Mathematics (a distinction). They normally end up with a scholarship and an unconditional offer to study at Cambridge (or so I have heard).

This applies to other subjects as well, but a student doesn't necessarily need to have 100%, it can be lesser than that but the "distinction" goes to that candidate who scores the highest in the whole world.
Reply 9
aura1947
I don't know about your exam board but with CIE, we have had quite a number of students score 100% in AS/A Level Mathematics (a distinction). They normally end up with a scholarship and an unconditional offer to study at Cambridge (or so I have heard).

This applies to other subjects as well, but a student doesn't necessarily need to have 100%, it can be lesser than that but the "distinction" goes to that candidate who scores the highest in the whole world.

I thought distinctions were nothing to do with A levels - more like BTECs and such...

You get a lot of students getting 100% :s

Are you sure? In every single module?
Reply 10
Shayke
I thought distinctions were nothing to do with A levels - more like BTECs and such...

You get a lot of students getting 100% :s

Are you sure? In every single module?

It's hard to explain, CIE doesn't really work like AQA, Edexcel etc.

We don't get to know how much marks we have scored in individual papers, we just receive an overall percentage on our grade sheets. You can check what grade you received in individual papers but that's it - no percentage(s).

The 100% doesn't necessarily mean the student got 100% in all the papers, just that he scored the most marks as compared to the rest of the students.

And yeah, we don't really have "modules", the exam's not from specific topics but from the whole syllabus.

I am not sure if I am making any sense. :confused: Feel free to ask though.
Reply 11
aura1947

Unlikely unless they've already got A levels and STEP when they apply
Hey umm i'd
Like to ask about the cie distinction system. What are the requirements and what is it based on? If u have an idea, could u briefly explain what's to be done if a person os aiming for one? I'd be very grateful if u replied :smile:
Hey i wanted to ask about the cie distinction system. Firstly, on what basis to candidates are awarded a distinction? Secondly, could u please brielfly explain what things to do or what to work for if we're aiming for a distinction. I'd be very grateful if u replied
Original post by Swayum
You can do something called an AEA, which is a hard maths exam based on the core maths of A-level, where the highest grade possible is a Distinction. But it is a lot harder than A-level.

I searched for its past papers but wasn't able to find any. Will be rlly grateful if you can share the link or guide me from where i can obtain those pps.
Original post by binteaziz26
I searched for its past papers but wasn't able to find any. Will be rlly grateful if you can share the link or guide me from where i can obtain those pps.

https://www.colmanweb.co.uk/pastpapers/Pages/aea.html

The last post in this thread was 9 years ago. It's usually best to start a new thread rather than resurrecting old threads.

You also need to work on your Google skills. :biggrin:

The link above was very easy to find.

Quick Reply

Latest