The Student Room Group

Why do some people hate physics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Gravity is a law. Lawbreakers will be brought down :P

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Issac Newton1: Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest. Chickens in motion tend to cross the road.

Issac Newton2: It was pushed on the road.

Issac Newton3: It was pushed on the road by another chicken, which went away from the road.

Issac Newton4: It was attracted to a chicken on the other side of the road.
Reply 41
I think η\eta is a beautiful letter.
At A-Level, physics just seemed like a lame version of Maths so it kind of put me off lol...

I'm sure it's much more rigorous at university level, but I thought I'd stick with what was already tried and tested :p:
Jack Sparrow
Come on its not that boring.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein

The extent to which something is boring is subjective. But anyway, I personally find physics quite interesting (not that I've ever studied it in any depth). Sadly though, my lack of mathematical ability coupled with two years of GCSE (pub quiz) physics was enough to put me off it for the rest of my life.
I dont know how anybody could dislike it, at GCSE yes I could understnad but not at A-level. A-level Physics is fantastic, as is Maths.

Can't wait until I get to uni (hopefully) in October. Physics should be great, especially the mechanics parts.
Reply 45
The trouble is that mathematics is not taught rigourously enough at GCSE. If it was, physics would be quite open and accessible to pretty much everyone, and tbh, a good knowledge of maths helps you in life, not just in physics.
But always remember: Physics is to sex as mathematics is to masturbation. (thankyou very much, professor Feynman :wink: )
Reply 46
callum Honisett
I dont know how anybody could dislike it, at GCSE yes I could understnad but not at A-level. A-level Physics is fantastic, as is Maths.

Can't wait until I get to uni (hopefully) in October. Physics should be great, especially the mechanics parts.

I'll answer that by way of an example I find mechanics fairly dry but quantum mechanics and relativity are fascinating. Different strokes. Maths is great though.

Hellier
The trouble is that mathematics is not taught rigourously enough at GCSE. If it was, physics would be quite open and accessible to pretty much everyone, and tbh, a good knowledge of maths helps you in life, not just in physics.
But always remember: Physics is to sex as mathematics is to masturbation. (thankyou very much, professor Feynman :wink: )

A friend of mine at work showed me an O' level paper once, it was close to A' level if not partly A' level. GCSE maths is maths for dummards really. No offence if you found it hard. :s-smilie:
cos of the **** teachers that you are likely to end up with. Teachers who can't teach ruin the course and demotivate everything about everything in the subject!
I find it extremely boring, mostly because I have horrible physics teachers.
Reply 49
TeDaX
I find it extremely boring, mostly because I have horrible physics teachers.

GCSE physics is ****, it's official. Plus there are a shortage of good teachers, that is growing by the year. Trouble is you have to tackle the basics before you tackle the tough stuff, and its only the tough stuff that is of any real interest.
JMonkey
I'll answer that by way of an example I find mechanics fairly dry but quantum mechanics and relativity are fascinating. Different strokes. Maths is great though.

Fair enough, I do like mechanics though. Can't wait for quantum mechanics and relativity, had a little look and am finding interesting.

I'm also looking forward to the electromagnetism. Altough there will be tonnes of vectros to do first, I suppose!
Reply 51
Jack Sparrow
Why are people afraid of physics? I thought breakthroughs in physics have given us many of our modern technologies

"You want to do physics? OMG or err you want to do physics?

And there's some people telling me to scrap physics and do medicine. I don't want to do medicine I want to do physics! Surely they're on the same level.

i had the same situation back in grade 11 when every1 was convincing me to go for medicine and i wanted to do sth physics related, i ended up taking biology, physics, maths and chemistry at AS, i was bored out of my brains from biology and chem but really enjoyed the physics course, i dropped biology :biggrin:
and now applied to do mech eng :biggrin:
do i regret it?
HELL NO, this rocks!!
Reply 52
As a Physics student, I struggle to comprehende how people can't find Physics at least interesting. Sure, you might not like carrying out eye-wateringly difficult calculations or enjoy the intellectual struggle that is studying Physics, but how can you not find it interesting?

How can you find the fact that a particle can tunnel straight through potential barriers(effectively, a wall) not interesting?

How can you not find the fact that if you travel close to the speed of light time ticks slower not interesting, or that if you travel close to the speed of light your length contracts?

Even simple stuff like faraday cages are interesting!

Physics is a beautiful subject and if you like a challenge, a lot of fun to study. Don't let the boring GCSE syllabus or perhaps even A-level syllabus put you off. If you like maths and find facts like the above interesting, go for it.
Reply 53
callum Honisett
Fair enough, I do like mechanics though. Can't wait for quantum mechanics and relativity, had a little look and am finding interesting.

I'm also looking forward to the electromagnetism. Altough there will be tonnes of vectros to do first, I suppose!

I'm at the same level as you, the difference is I'm part time so I can study it as a hobby as well. Vectors/tensors, integrals/differentials. Learn them well and you will find it much easier, from what I've been told.

There's no reason you can't study special relativity now, the maths is A' level except the derivation which is probably slightly more difficult but still A' level. General relativity is a bit more of a stretch but once you understand non Euclidean geometry it will become readily clear. Not sure I've mastered it yet, but I do at least understand how it works and can apply it to some extent.

Preaching to the converted Barny. :smile:
Because i'm **** at it. I'm never ever studying it at level 3 again. It was a nightmare =[.
Reply 55
but the most interesting thing of all.....................................is CHAOS
Reply 56
Barny
As a Physics student, I struggle to comprehende how people can't find Physics at least interesting. Sure, you might not like carrying out eye-wateringly difficult calculations or enjoy the intellectual struggle that is studying Physics, but how can you not find it interesting?

How can you find the fact that a particle can tunnel straight through potential barriers(effectively, a wall) not interesting?

How can you not find the fact that if you travel close to the speed of light time ticks slower not interesting, or that if you travel close to the speed of light your length contracts?

Even simple stuff like faraday cages are interesting!

Physics is a beautiful subject and if you like a challenge, a lot of fun to study. Don't let the boring GCSE syllabus or perhaps even A-level syllabus put you off. If you like maths and find facts like the above interesting, go for it.

seconded, although im not a physics student. i love mechanics, i love astronomy and quantum mechanics, its so interesting!!
have u read "the born - einstein letters" ?
JMonkey
I'm at the same level as you, the difference is I'm part time so I can study it as a hobby as well. Vectors, integrals/differentials and tensors. Learn them well and you will find it much easier, from what I've been told.

There's no reason you can't study special relativity now, the maths is A' level except the derivation which is probably slightly more difficult but still A' level. General relativity is a bit more of a stretch but once you understand non Euclidean geometry it will become readily clear. Not sure I've mastered it yet, but I do at least understand how it works and can apply it to some extent.

Ah OK. I'm currently reading a book on quantum mechanics by Jim-Al Khalili. My teacher has just given me a load of stuff to do with Feynman lectures aswell, that should be interesting.

I'm probably gonna take a look at some of this stuff over the summer holidays.

Integration/Differentiation in C4 are very easy for me, although I know it will get MUCH harder.

Done vectors in M1 and M2 only, still got them to do in C4. They are OK, certainly not my favourite though.
im so academic
by its stereotypical image of it:

einstein, electricity gone wrong!, evil people (i.e. creator of frankenstein for some reason :rolleyes:), too much maths, "geeky", difficult etc

btw, do what you want to do! physics is VERY respectable. at least is not as competitive as medicine :wink:

Creator of Frankenstein? So Mary Shelley :tongue:
Hellier
Physics is to sex as mathematics is to masturbation. (thankyou very much, professor Feynman :wink: )

Rep coming upp :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest