The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes we should. For his crimes during the Chimurenga. For his crimes against the Matabele. For his crimes now.

But there's no need for a trial. Round up the old Rhodesian SAS and RLI and give them all the equipment they like, I'm sure they'll finish the job they would have completed if not for Western intervention.

The vast majority of this forum are disgusting hypocrites. You cry against Robert Mugabe now but you are the same sort of people who would have supported him in his terrorist war against Rhodesia.
Reply 2
Bateman
State whether you're opposing or proposing and discuss :biggrin:

Proposing: Yes, he should be not only prosecuted but incarcerated immediately without any privileges whatsoever for the rest of his days. To kill him outright would deny him time to suffer and be alone with himself and all the unspeakable evil he has caused to thousands of innocent people. It is such a sad indictment against the rest of the world for not getting together, for the sake of the people of Zimbabwe and removing this psychotic meglomaniac from power.
Proposing:-

Yes, he should.

He is responsible for hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of deaths, and he should be prosecuted for their deaths. It is not to late to try him; Theoneste Bagosora was prosecuted in December for the Rwandan genocide which happened 14 years ago.

I would extend his crimes against humanity not just to the deaths of so many people, but the economic ruin he has brought on Zimbabwe, once one of the wealthiest African countries, and the huge amount of suffering he has therefore caused the people. I would also like to point out the damage he has caused to Zimbabwe's political, educational and healthcare systems; adult litercay rates have been decreasing since 1995 and Zimbabwe now has some of the lowest life expectancy rates in the world. He has brought what was once one of Africa's most well-developed nations to its knees.

For all these crimes and more, I would hold Robert Mugabe personally responsible and have him removed from power immediately, and, as Marco1 suggested, keep him locked away until he dies so that he cannot cause such devastation again.
yes he should but no one will go in and do it as theres no natural recourses to plunder
Reply 5
silverbolt
yes he should but no one will go in and do it as theres no natural recourses to plunder
Um, yes, there are. CIA factbook: "Natural resources:
coal, chromium ore, asbestos, gold, nickel, copper, iron ore, vanadium, lithium, tin, platinum group metals"
Bagration
Um, yes, there are. CIA factbook: "Natural resources:
coal, chromium ore, asbestos, gold, nickel, copper, iron ore, vanadium, lithium, tin, platinum group metals"

hmmm did not know that - thank you

we might actually see someone go in and get him then
Reply 7
Bagration
The vast majority of this forum are disgusting hypocrites. You cry against Robert Mugabe now but you are the same sort of people who would have supported him in his terrorist war against Rhodesia.

That's the case in politics generally; the West supported Saddam Hussein when was gassing the Kurds, and then went in to sentence him to death twenty years later.

I would not prosecute Mugabe for war crimes, when there are other leaders, more powerful than Mugabe could ever be, with more blood on their hands and they walk free.
I'd rather someone just put a bullet in his head.
Reply 9
Bateman
State whether you're opposing or proposing and discuss :biggrin:

For the sake of the suppressed peasants who have not seen coloured television since the days they were born; for the sake of the millions of peasants who toiled day and night only to have their harvest forcefully taken away; for those who believed that a shred of hope for democracy still prevail despite the ubiquitous crackdown on political dissidents and freedom-fighters - how they had to give up in face of threats and harm on the ordinary citizens, I unflinchingly agree that Mugabe should be prosecuted by the House.

Tell the truth, our local political party, PAP, has been in power longer than the incumbent Mugabe. Besides in a communist society, where else have a political party stayed in power for such a long time of 40 years? All the little oppositions seem too much like a facade; a carefully orchestrated play put up by the PAP to make itself look better.
Reply 10
x.Katharine.x
Proposing:-

Yes, he should.

He is responsible for hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of deaths, and he should be prosecuted for their deaths. It is not to late to try him; Theoneste Bagosora was prosecuted in December for the Rwandan genocide which happened 14 years ago.

I would extend his crimes against humanity not just to the deaths of so many people, but the economic ruin he has brought on Zimbabwe, once one of the wealthiest African countries, and the huge amount of suffering he has therefore caused the people. I would also like to point out the damage he has caused to Zimbabwe's political, educational and healthcare systems; adult litercay rates have been decreasing since 1995 and Zimbabwe now has some of the lowest life expectancy rates in the world. He has brought what was once one of Africa's most well-developed nations to its knees.

For all these crimes and more, I would hold Robert Mugabe personally responsible and have him removed from power immediately, and, as Marco1 suggested, keep him locked away until he dies so that he cannot cause such devastation again.

That would do no justice to the taxpayers money.

Employ him in some re-construction work; let him witness for himself the devastation and misery he has brought upon the country. Let his conscience, if it even exist, bug him for as long as he struggles to sleep and live. That would be an ideal punishment.
Reply 11
Where did you get the article anyway? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

Latest

Trending

Trending