The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I was interested in the same thing but was unable to find anything. Will this be your first degree? I think you might have better chances of finding a course that is thaught in English for a masters degree.

http://www.edufrance.fr/en/Index.htm
Look at this link, there's a list of programs thaught in English where you might find something.
Good luck!
Reply 2
yes i've found that it's easier to get a masters out there but it will be my first degree and thats where the problem is.
im moving there anyway and if i cant find a university then im not going to be able to get a degree which is a problem!!
thankyou for the link, i have already coem across this website before but like you said for first degrees theres not much choice!
Reply 3
I see. Have you also looked at the American University of Paris. I think they might have some literature courses thaught in English but I'm not sure.
Reply 4
loucrane
I'm moving to France at the end of this year so i would like to go to university over there.
Does anyone know if there any universities that teach lectures in English?
I want to study literature (preferably english literature) and i've hit a brick wall.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance!

As has been said, I think the AUP might do it, but I don't believe there are any other recognised universities that'll teach literature in English.

Most places will ask you to sit the DALF or at least provide some sort of evidence of French ability, too.
Reply 5
http://aup.edu/main/academics/index.htm

Here's the list of the undergraduate programs the AUP can offer, it includes a major in Comparative litterature which is what you might be looking for.

Living in France (Paris area), I can tell you there aren't many unis offering english litterature, if none at all apart from the AUP. There are Unis like La Sorbonne, but the programs offered are for english learners wanting to acquire a very good level in order to study abroad later on, but it doesn't fit your profile.

French people are conservative :P all the curriculums offered here are 100% French or almost ^^

Good luck
Reply 6
Hmm, I'd expect Etudes anglophones to do that, and plenty of universities offer it I think (I'm not all that well versed in French undergrad, though).
Reply 7
Etudes Anglophones will be too easy for a brit, and besides what you learn isn't exactly English litterature, but more like the anglo-saxon culture, as well perfecting the language, which a native speaker doesn't need really.
Reply 8
Mcferlon
http://aup.edu/main/academics/index.htm

Here's the list of the undergraduate programs the AUP can offer, it includes a major in Comparative litterature which is what you might be looking for.

Living in France (Paris area), I can tell you there aren't many unis offering english litterature, if none at all apart from the AUP. There are Unis like La Sorbonne, but the programs offered are for english learners wanting to acquire a very good level in order to study abroad later on, but it doesn't fit your profile.

French people are conservative :P all the curriculums offered here are 100% French or almost ^^

Good luck
AUP isn't accredited in europe, so a degree isn't worth much. unless they managed to gain accreditation within the last year.

a lot of business schools offer ourses in english, if thats somethign you want to study.... ESC Rennes, Grenoble Busienss School etc
but literature... seems unlikely you'll find anythign in france. below masters level anyway
Reply 9
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. AUP do offer good courses for what i want to do but, i'm not sure about an American university! PLus it's $65 just to apply, i'm still considering this as an option though.

I think i'm pretty much stuck in a corner now to be honest, like everyone has said i aren't going to find an english speaking course at a french uni. My french proficiency is good but i'm worried about the technical words i will need to know.

I think my best option is to have a year or two out until my french is far better and give a french speaking course a go! Does anyone think this is a good idea/bad idea??
Reply 10
loucrane
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. AUP do offer good courses for what i want to do but, i'm not sure about an American university! PLus it's $65 just to apply, i'm still considering this as an option though.

I think i'm pretty much stuck in a corner now to be honest, like everyone has said i aren't going to find an english speaking course at a french uni. My french proficiency is good but i'm worried about the technical words i will need to know.

I think my best option is to have a year or two out until my french is far better and give a french speaking course a go! Does anyone think this is a good idea/bad idea??

i'd go for that, yea
or jsut enroll and see if you can cope with it or not.
its free afterall and you can learn the technical things as you go
Reply 11
KLL
i'd go for that, yea
or jsut enroll and see if you can cope with it or not.
its free afterall and you can learn the technical things as you go

Well it's not free per se, because the droits d'inscription are a few hundred €...

But yeah, I agree with this. It's worth a try and there's no real harm done if it's too much.

Whereabouts in France ?
Reply 12
Stay in Paris! Don't wander about, it's the most cosmopolitan place in France, and where you'll enjoy yourself the most. Although it is very pricey living there.
Where do your parents live in France?
Reply 13
my parents don't live there. me and my boyfriend are moving over there at the end of the year. we spend 5months a year there as it is now so we're making a permanent move. we're moving around the limoges area for the first year or two and then hopefully down near toulouse after that. obviously if i go to AUP i will live in Paris though and get trains at weekends or every other weekend. However, i'm not looking forward to this because i like Paris but i wouldn't want to live there permanently.

I just find it frustrating that it has the 3rd largest amount of international students in France but they don't teach courses in other languages!!!!!!! it's driving me mad!
Reply 14
loucrane
my parents don't live there. me and my boyfriend are moving over there at the end of the year. we spend 5months a year there as it is now so we're making a permanent move. we're moving around the limoges area for the first year or two and then hopefully down near toulouse after that. obviously if i go to AUP i will live in Paris though and get trains at weekends or every other weekend. However, i'm not looking forward to this because i like Paris but i wouldn't want to live there permanently.

I just find it frustrating that it has the 3rd largest amount of international students in France but they don't teach courses in other languages!!!!!!! it's driving me mad!

You'd be hard pushed to find a British university teaching in French...
Reply 15
Jeez Limoges... Good luck! xD

In any case, I'm insisting on it but Paris is the best place by far to study in France! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending