The Student Room Group

LLB + year in france question

I'm year 12 applying to universities this year, and I recently decided that I want to apply to a law with french law course.

I will be applying to Oxford, UCL, LSE for a straight LLB, and KCL. to be honest I have my sights set on KCL because it's 2 years in London and 2 in Paris- and you get a Master 1 at the end of it.

with the course in Oxford and UCL, it's 3 years UK and 1 year France and you don't get that french undergraduate qualification...which honestly is a bit of a bummer ? so my question is, upon getting a 3yUK 1yFrance law with french law degree, how do you turn the french 'diploma' into a qualification you can actually use to work, or does it not really count for anything at all?

the master 1 seems important to me because I may want to work with a firm that focuses on international law and would like to be qualified in france as well

would really appreciate a reply because it might change the unis I apply to.
Reply 1
Original post by hanstudies
I'm year 12 applying to universities this year, and I recently decided that I want to apply to a law with french law course.

I will be applying to Oxford, UCL, LSE for a straight LLB, and KCL. to be honest I have my sights set on KCL because it's 2 years in London and 2 in Paris- and you get a Master 1 at the end of it.

with the course in Oxford and UCL, it's 3 years UK and 1 year France and you don't get that french undergraduate qualification...which honestly is a bit of a bummer ? so my question is, upon getting a 3yUK 1yFrance law with french law degree, how do you turn the french 'diploma' into a qualification you can actually use to work, or does it not really count for anything at all?

the master 1 seems important to me because I may want to work with a firm that focuses on international law and would like to be qualified in france as well

Hey, I'm a current year 13 student and have applied to every university course variation you mentioned haha. I currently have a Law with French Law offer at Oxford, and am still waiting on the London ones :smile:.

For the Oxford and UCL variations, I spoke with a final year Oxford student and had a look on the UCL website itself, and I found that basically for these two universities, for your year abroad, you have two options. You could either do the Certificat supérieur de droit français et international which is slightly less taxing and one level below the other option, which is a Licence 3. If you do the Licence 3, you would be able to apply for a French Law Masters right after, which indicates the level of qualification (I believe it's practically equivalent to a degree), and if you do the Certificat supérieur you can progress to Licence 3 if you wish. Most people, from what I've heard, do the first option because the second is apparently a lot more difficult and most people don't want to practise in France. Of course, as you indicated, this depends on your goals.

Hope that answers your question and good luck with your application!! There is still ample time to consider everything.
Reply 2
Original post by dream.law
Hey, I'm a current year 13 student and have applied to every university course variation you mentioned haha. I currently have a Law with French Law offer at Oxford, and am still waiting on the London ones :smile:.

For the Oxford and UCL variations, I spoke with a final year Oxford student and had a look on the UCL website itself, and I found that basically for these two universities, for your year abroad, you have two options. You could either do the Certificat supérieur de droit français et international which is slightly less taxing and one level below the other option, which is a Licence 3. If you do the Licence 3, you would be able to apply for a French Law Masters right after, which indicates the level of qualification (I believe it's practically equivalent to a degree), and if you do the Certificat supérieur you can progress to Licence 3 if you wish. Most people, from what I've heard, do the first option because the second is apparently a lot more difficult and most people don't want to practise in France. Of course, as you indicated, this depends on your goals.

Hope that answers your question and good luck with your application!! There is still ample time to consider everything.

thanks so much for the reply, I'd lost all hope

which will you be doing? massive congrats on your successful oxford application by the way. I'd really appreciate having your instagram or something so I maybe could ask you questions about it? feeling a bit lost haha

I really don't know whether I want to practise law in France but I'm taking A level French and would like to be fluent and just thought might as well take the opportunity to do a year abroad and potentially earn a qualification in case I ever want to go there. it's all about using the resources you have right
Reply 3
thanks so much for the reply, I'd lost all hope

which will you be doing? massive congrats on your successful oxford application by the way. I'd really appreciate having your instagram or something so I maybe could ask you questions about it? feeling a bit lost haha

I really don't know whether I want to practise law in France but I'm taking A level French and would like to be fluent and just thought might as well take the opportunity to do a year abroad and potentially earn a qualification in case I ever want to go there. it's all about using the resources you have right

I'm glad to be of any help!! I know that the Law with French Law variation often has less info online so it's more difficult to figure out this stuff.

I'm actually not too sure yet; a few years ago I would have definitely taken the 'harder' 'higher level' option, but considering that I will be doing 3 years at Oxford (fingers crossed still haha) with such intense terms, I feel like I would want a less stressed year abroad where I would be able to fully enjoy the experience. At the end of the day, I will still be learning the language and can push myself in other ways, just not with the university modules. This will probably be something to decide when I get on the course though (still time!)

Appreciate it, and I will DM you my info in a second. Please don't hesitate to throw all your questions at me, I was quite literally in your position under a year ago so I fully sympathise.

Your reasoning is quite similar to mine, except for the fact that I'm quite interested in international law and I understand that French is the second official language of international law. I think that these courses (any of them!) are perfect for really pushing your French. I can't lie, my primary reason was that I didn't want to lose the language and I always wanted to experience studying abroad.
Hi, I do law with French law at Oxford (second year) and they give you the choice between the diploma or licence (basically the 3 year French degree condensed into one year) and if you pick the licence you can go on to a masters in France 🙂 (edit - didn't realise the other commenter already mentioned that lol)
(edited 2 months ago)
I'm glad to be of any help!! I know that the Law with French Law variation often has less info online so it's more difficult to figure out this stuff.

I'm actually not too sure yet; a few years ago I would have definitely taken the 'harder' 'higher level' option, but considering that I will be doing 3 years at Oxford (fingers crossed still haha) with such intense terms, I feel like I would want a less stressed year abroad where I would be able to fully enjoy the experience. At the end of the day, I will still be learning the language and can push myself in other ways, just not with the university modules. This will probably be something to decide when I get on the course though (still time!)

Appreciate it, and I will DM you my info in a second. Please don't hesitate to throw all your questions at me, I was quite literally in your position under a year ago so I fully sympathise.

Your reasoning is quite similar to mine, except for the fact that I'm quite interested in international law and I understand that French is the second official language of international law. I think that these courses (any of them!) are perfect for really pushing your French. I can't lie, my primary reason was that I didn't want to lose the language and I always wanted to experience studying abroad.

The only people on my course who were advised to do the licence are native speakers. I really wouldn't pick it lol (and I haven't done), unless you're really keen on practicing in France there's really no point in it because you can still put the diploma on your CV. A few years ago I would have said I'd pick the harder one lol, before Genvieve obliterated me in the classes (guessing she interviewed you haha)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Username123ab
The only people on my course who were advised to do the licence are native speakers. I really wouldn't pick it lol (and I haven't done), unless you're really keen on practicing in France there's really no point in it because you can still put the diploma on your CV. A few years ago I would have said I'd pick the harder one lol, before Genvieve obliterated me in the classes (guessing she interviewed you haha)

oh no!! I can't wait to get humbled in the language classes haha. Also, she wasn't the one who interviewed me, I believe several people did them.

Out of curiosity, how are you finding the law w French law course? I've heard that you don't get explicit language classes, so how do you 'manage'?
oh no!! I can't wait to get humbled in the language classes haha. Also, she wasn't the one who interviewed me, I believe several people did them.

Out of curiosity, how are you finding the law w French law course? I've heard that you don't get explicit language classes, so how do you 'manage'?

Yeah we have a class once a week but it's much more focussed on learning about the French legal system than learning French as a language. They just kind of expect you to manage keeping up your French by yourself but there are separate language classes you can sign up for if you have the time. I also find duolingo really helpful (if you don't have it already, it will give you a placement quiz when you download the app so you won't have to start with beginner stuff), I also try to listen to at least 30 minutes of French a day (usually a podcast when I'm walking to and from the library) and read at least 30 minutes (even just like following French social media profiles and looking at their posts when you have a spare 5 minutes) :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah we have a class once a week but it's much more focussed on learning about the French legal system than learning French as a language. They just kind of expect you to manage keeping up your French by yourself but there are separate language classes you can sign up for if you have the time. I also find duolingo really helpful (if you don't have it already, it will give you a placement quiz when you download the app so you won't have to start with beginner stuff), I also try to listen to at least 30 minutes of French a day (usually a podcast when I'm walking to and from the library) and read at least 30 minutes (even just like following French social media profiles and looking at their posts when you have a spare 5 minutes) :smile:
Thank you for the tips, appreciate it 🙂 I've tried Duolingo multiple times in the past and I'm not the biggest fan unfortunately (though I can see how it may be helpful for general knowledge vocab). The podcast idea is great and I try to do something similar in my current day-to-day already. The accumulated benefit of that sort of passive input is something I don't think is appreciated until you've done it for a while. It also seems like none of that is all that taxing, which is relieving to hear.

Hiya im a current student doing the Kcl law with French law if you need any info on it :smile:

I'm applying for Law with French Law at Oxford this year & hoping I'll be interviewed!! Do you mind if I ask you a few questions related to the process (i.e. how the French interview was, any tips, which college you applied to...)

In general, how do you find the level of French required for the course? I'm just curious because the information on the course only states a French A Level, but I wonder if most applicants have a DELF/DALF qualification too/are native...
Original post by amaretti-macada
Hiya im a current student doing the Kcl law with French law if you need any info on it :smile:

I'd love that, thank you. could you dm me ur instagram or something?
I'd love that, thank you. could you dm me ur instagram or something?

just sent it to you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending