The Student Room Group

Chinese U of Hong Kong or UofToronto?

hey all.

which two do you think is better? they are both not my first choice, but i think i have quite a high possibility to go there cos they rest of my offers all have extremely tough conditions

anyway, I've got offer for Quantitative finance from CUHK, and a place in Mathematical and Physical Science in UT. I am thinking of going into the financial industry/ibanking in the future, and i understand that the uni name is quite important in that field.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CUHK definitely..... I have got couple of friends at LSE who did Econs and they transferred from CUHK (Quantitative Finance). One ended up at Bain & Co and the other one at Hang Seng Bank
Hope that helps ...
What conditional offers did you get
Are you Chinese? If so stick to CUHK.

Other than that, UofT will be head and shoulders ahead of CUHK for me.
Reply 3
maths-enthusiast
Are you Chinese? If so stick to CUHK.

Other than that, UofT will be head and shoulders ahead of CUHK for me.

yeah im chinese, but i cant really speak cantonese, cos im from singapore. and i think the environment in CU is quite cantonese, which i dont really like. But UT, at the same time, takes 4 years to obtain a Bsci and i am looking at actuarial science, which im not as interested as Quantitative finance
Chinese people still must feel akin to each other. You won't stand out nor have to shriver in spine chilling cold.
Reply 5
kenbellston
yeah im chinese, but i cant really speak cantonese, cos im from singapore. and i think the environment in CU is quite cantonese, which i dont really like. But UT, at the same time, takes 4 years to obtain a Bsci and i am looking at actuarial science, which im not as interested as Quantitative finance

Chinese U, I think partially teaches in Chinese. I visited there this summer, the atmosphere is really self-explanatory from the name.

You'll have a much better multicultural experience in University of Toronto and the classes will be pretty much mixed, since everyone from Canada is a immigrant. Think about the climate though, it is drier in Toronto than in Asia but the temperature is still regularly 40 degrees+ in summer. In winter (like the several past months), there will be a snow storm every week and the temperature can be as low as -30 degrees.

If you have any questions, I can help, since I grew up in HK and also applied to uT recently. :smile:
kenbellston
hey all.

which two do you think is better? they are both not my first choice, but i think i have quite a high possibility to go there cos they rest of my offers all have extremely tough conditions

anyway, I've got offer for Quantitative finance from CUHK, and a place in Mathematical and Physical Science in UT. I am thinking of going into the financial industry/ibanking in the future, and i understand that the uni name is quite important in that field.

Do you take GCE A-Level or IB?? or something else?
Reply 7
mustang51hk
Do you take GCE A-Level or IB?? or something else?

i take IB...

haha i saw your HKUST BBA offer, same with a lot of my friends.
kenbellston
i take IB...

haha i saw your HKUST BBA offer, same with a lot of my friends.

Wow they must be taking in a lot of IB kids then.
Reply 9
mustang51hk
Wow they must be taking in a lot of IB kids then.

yeah i think so too, probably thats what made UST the most international University in HK.

btw, have you decided yet? on where to go. im so torn amongst my offers
kenbellston
yeah i think so too, probably thats what made UST the most international University in HK.

btw, have you decided yet? on where to go. im so torn amongst my offers

sorry for the ultra late reply.

just got my HKU offer few days ago, had a good thought on choosing between CUHK and HKU.

I am gonna go for HKU haha. HKUST is still my safety though in case I screw up the real exam, which is highly unlikely but possible lol.
maths-enthusiast
Chinese people still must feel akin to each other. You won't stand out nor have to shriver in spine chilling cold.

Chinese standing out in Toronto? Obviously you've never been!
Toronto is a pretty cool place but I'd still rather be in HK. The weather is a major factor. Asia is also a much more exciting and interesting place to be than North America.
^Are the Chinese the majority population in Toronto like they are in Hong kong? Would that mean my claims make sense to you now?
Reply 13
No one stands out in Toronto. We are literally the most diverse place in the world, with the 2nd largest Chinese population in North America.

U of T is a fantastic university, and Toronto is a great city. It's not that cold, it's like the Florida of Canada! Which is not saying much, but still. There's also a lot going on, and pretty safe, compared to a lot of other cities.
Reply 14
ibcanada
It's not that cold, it's like the Florida of Canada!

You're kidding, right?
maths-enthusiast
^Are the Chinese the majority population in Toronto like they are in Hong kong? Would that mean my claims make sense to you now?

Depends on where you are in Toronto; in much of the city you're more likely to stand out being white. Like ibcanada said, no one really stands out owing to their race.

deepsix
Originally Posted by ibcanada
It's not that cold, it's like the Florida of Canada!

You're kidding, right?

Haha I do reckon ibcanada is being a bit facetious, but to those of us in Ottawa a visit to Toronto was always like a journey south to warmer climes (which is definitely a bit sad)!
kenbellston

Well...you should have applied to University of Waterloo for Actuarial Science! It's too bad that you didn't apply for it. :frown:

Nevertheless...I guess you should stick with City University of Hong Kong. Though University of Toronto may be of a higher rank in the world...I think you'll benefit more if you were to go to City University of Hong Kong.
Inter et
Depends on where you are in Toronto; in much of the city you're more likely to stand out being white. Like ibcanada said, no one really stands out owing to their race.

Can you rephrase your statement? I don't understand it.

If you are referring to a lot of snow in Toronto covering people's features, I don't see what is your point.

Or you meant to say something else maybe?
maths-enthusiast
Can you rephrase your statement? I don't understand it.

If you are referring to a lot of snow in Toronto covering people's features, I don't see what is your point.

Or you meant to say something else maybe?

No, I obviously did mean to say that 'a lot of snow in Toronto covering people's features' eliminates racial barriers. Spot on! To make a completely auxiliary point, however: 47% of Toronto's population is composed of visible minorities, and the remaining 53% includes Europeans of every stock (eg hundreds of thousands of first-gen Italian and Eastern European/Russian immigrants) plus the aboriginal population. In several districts Canadian-born residents (who themselves represent a wide spectrum of races) are in the minority. At any point you're six times more likely to hear a Chinese dialect spoken on the streets than you are French (the second official language of course).

Does that make sense to you? You must be from Toronto because you seem pretty determined to deny any views on the city that might contradict your own. Admittedly, I'm from Hong Kong and I only lived in Ottawa, but I would often stay with friends and family in Toronto for weeks at a time and like to think that I have some familiarity with the character of the place.
Actually I have never even been to Canada!

I don't know why you are troubling us with so much information on Toronto while the simple fact that 95% of Hong Kong is Chinese, and the figure is far less for Toronto is simple enough for anyone to understand.

Latest

Trending

Trending