The Student Room Group

Official Linguistics applicants thread 2024

Hello all, I’m Emmanuella from London! I am thinking of studying Linguistics at university for 2024 entry it would be nice to start a discussion (i know @maishhh has started one which has been very insightful so you can check that out - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376996!) but anyway yeah, it would be nice to chat to some prospective Linguistics students who i may meet in the future!! :smile:

- it would be very helpful if an undergrad student studying Linguistics or a similar subject could provide advice and their favourite part of the course.

- finally, if any unis reply to this discussion with their own advice, i will also be very grateful!

Thanks,
Emmanuella <3
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello all, I’m Emmanuella from London! I am thinking of studying Linguistics at university for 2024 entry, and these are the universities that currently interest me.

1) @University of York
2) @University of Leeds
3) @Newcastle University
4) @Lancaster University
5) @University of Brighton Enquiries (Uni of Brighton)

i just wanted to know whether anyone else was thinking of applying to these universities for Linguistics, or is interested in studying Linguistics even if these unis aren’t listed! it would be nice to start a discussion (i know @maishhh has started one which has been very insightful so you can check that out - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376996!) but anyway yeah, it would be nice to chat to some prospective Linguistics students who i may meet in the future!! :smile:

- it would be very helpful if an undergrad student studying Linguistics or a similar subject could provide advice and their favourite part of the course.

- finally, if any unis reply to this discussion with their own advice, i will also be very grateful!

Thanks,
Emmanuella <3

Hi!

We have a few blogs written by our Linguistics students which might be helpful:

- Is a linguistics placement for you?
- How to lang and ling for a week
- Things to look forward to about Linguistics at York

I didn't study Linguistics but if you have any questions about student life at York, accommodation etc I'm happy to help!
Original post by University of York
Hi!

We have a few blogs written by our Linguistics students which might be helpful:

- Is a linguistics placement for you?
- How to lang and ling for a week
- Things to look forward to about Linguistics at York

I didn't study Linguistics but if you have any questions about student life at York, accommodation etc I'm happy to help!

thank you very much!!
Hi Emmanuella! I’m in Y13 now, looking to apply for 2024 entry at: Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, Queen Mary’s
It’s always nice to see another fellow Linguistics applicant! What area of Lings are you interested in?
Original post by pineapple1865
Hi Emmanuella! I’m in Y13 now, looking to apply for 2024 entry at: Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, Queen Mary’s
It’s always nice to see another fellow Linguistics applicant! What area of Lings are you interested in?

yay york!! oo look at you early applicant! i really love the morphology aspect of linguistics - it really interests me :biggrin:
how are we all doing? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hii :smile:

I'm in Y13 and looking to apply for 2024 in linguistics. Just sent my UCAS in and my choices are: Edinburgh x2, UCL x2, Lancaster.

But I'm also looking abroad for Chinese U Hong Kong, and Hong Kong U.
(edited 6 months ago)
hello all have you guys heard of the linguistics olympiad? you can check out the website here if you might want to take part: UKLO for schools: Surprise your students with language puzzles - UKLO :biggrin:!
Reply 8
hello all have you guys heard of the linguistics olympiad? you can check out the website here if you might want to take part: UKLO for schools: Surprise your students with language puzzles - UKLO :biggrin:!

I've participated since y9 and have competed in the advanced level last year! definitely recommend it as it's very fun indeed
Original post by kijeta
I've participated since y9 and have competed in the advanced level last year! definitely recommend it as it's very fun indeed

great thank you :smile:! im obvs thinking of applying for linguistics at uni > that's why im thinking to possibly participate
Hello all, I’m Emmanuella from London! I am thinking of studying Linguistics at university for 2024 entry it would be nice to start a discussion (i know @maishhh has started one which has been very insightful so you can check that out - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376996!) but anyway yeah, it would be nice to chat to some prospective Linguistics students who i may meet in the future!! :smile:

Thanks,
Emmanuella <3

Hi Emmanuella!

My name is Ellie and I am a 3rd year English Language and Linguistics student at the University of Sheffield. I have many favourite parts of the course, but if I had to narrow it down to just one it would definitely have to be Language and Cognition! It covers some underpinning theories, concepts and principles surrounding the field of cognitive linguistics. This area explores the relationship between language and the human mind, which I find particularly interesting. I find myself thinking about certain areas of language and cognition in general day-to-day conversations; you'd be surprised how many linguistic theories and concepts you begin to notice and apply to your everyday life once you begin to delve into the complexities of language - its brilliant! As cognitive linguistics is a relatively new area of research, there is also plenty of scope for new studies in certain areas, which results in very interesting seminar discussions as this module gives students the necessary information to begin to undertake their own investigations into the world of language and cognition

One piece of advice I would give to a prospective linguistics student is to make the most of the support on offer. You will be taught by professionals in the field, who are passionate and knowledgable about the area; I have had many thought provoking and intriguing conversations with my lecturers, professors and tutors that have really helped me to develop compelling arguments and discussions during my degree work and research. Also, don't forget why you wanted to choose linguistics. By keeping the passion going and reminding yourself why you chose to delve into the world of linguistics, you will be able to overcome any potential difficulties on the course.

I hope this was helpful! Feel free to ask me anything about the course! :smile:

-Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student)
Reply 11

I was 1 (ONE) mark off a gold in advanced 2024 !!!
Original post by kijeta
I was 1 (ONE) mark off a gold in advanced 2024 !!!

omg no wayyyyyy :biggrin:
Reply 13
omg no wayyyyyy :biggrin:

on the bright side it means i can try advanced again in uni. it would have been satisfying to fully speedrun all four tiers in secondary school but i guess continuing it on next year is fun.

to everyone else who has tried advanced this year, could anyone manage the georgian numbers one? for one of the questions in that section, i was debating between two answers. maybe, just maybe, if i had picked the other one, i would have 1 mark extra and be just ABOVE the boundary for gold... but alas, made the wrong decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending