The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Vegetarians? oh and im sorry if there are any other similar threads out there

I just dont understand the concept of being a vegetarian! To me, eating meat is natural (no disrespect to vegetarians - plz dont be offended) but if other animals in the wild can kill animals and eat them, why cant we? i mean, humans eat both plants and animals (hence to the term omnivore!) thats how we are created. I am fully against animal testing, but eating other animals? not so much....and that reminds me...why is eating fish considered ok amongst some vegetarians?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lets get one thing straight here, people cannot call themselves a vegetarian if they eat fish! they might as well go and eat a pork sandwich with extra crackling!

btw im vegetarian and have been for a few years. It just down to personal choice and what people want to eat and dont want to eat. I chose not to eat meat because i dont really like it, the texture and taste is awful, and besides, i dont agree with the way in which animals are killed for their meat.

I can see why you may not understand as to why we dont want to eat meat but its just another item of food, nothing special about it. if i dont want to eat meat, i wont eat it. Simple :smile:

hth
I agree with thw above about the fish thing and the personal choice thing and ive been veggie for about 2 years now, basically because i dont like meat and it's alot better for your digestive system.
Some people dont like veg so it's kinda like that if you think about it.

Plus some vegetarians think it is unatural to eat meat, because unlike other animals we dont have a thirst for blood and we digest other foods better, but im not too sure about that one. Theres alot on this on the internet.
Reply 3
FairyNuff
lets get one thing straight here, people cannot call themselves a vegetarian if they eat fish! they might as well go and eat a pork sandwich with extra crackling!

Yes! They are not vegetarians, they are pescatarians!

Anyway back to the OP: I don't understand why it bothers you if someone is a vegetarian??
Reply 4
Yes, there are hundreds of other threads like this. What's so difficult to understand? Humans can cope perfectly without consuming meat, surely what is more difficult to understand is how people can feel so sure that we need meat to survive. It's complete and utter crap, we don't. I'm pescetarian; I don't eat meat because I don't like it. I eat fish because I do like it. I couldn't really care less about animal rights.
Reply 5
aye they are pescatarians (sp?) if they eat fish but not meat.
im not vegetarian but i can understand not eating meat on the basis of disliking taste and texture and also the way in which an animal is raised and killed.
Reply 6
Scout1234
Yes! They are not vegetarians, they are pescatarians!

Anyway back to the OP: I don't understand why it bothers you if someone is a vegetarian??

oh no it doesnt bother me at all, you've misuderstood me perhaps...i'm just curious thats all
Reply 7
Personal choice?

Why do you wear the clothes you wear, like the music you like, eat the food you eat?
I think there is a tendancy amongst people to expect vegetarians to preach to/judge people based on their eating habits, for ethical reasons.
I'm a vegeterian and in my experience, most other vegetarians I've met don't feel the need to push their views on people. In fact, many of them seem to just eat that way out of personal preference- perhaps with some loose ethical reasons as well. (personally, animal-cruelty based and environmental)

Meat-eaters om the other hand...
I couldn't count the number of times I've been preached to about the benefits of eating meat/stupidity of vegeterianism.
I'm sure I'd get attacked if it was ever the other way around though, heh
Apparently, there is another name for 'vegetarians' who eat fish.

Fox
Reply 10
Eating meat is natural to you and the thought of it disgusts me. We aren't doing any harm by not eating meat, if anything, you're doing more harm. Leave us be! =]
Reply 11
Suri
oh no it doesnt bother me at all, you've misuderstood me perhaps...i'm just curious thats all

Yeah sorry for jumping the gun, but it must bother you somewhat to start a post on it? :p:

I've been a vegetarian for nearly eight years and it's basically because I can't stand the thought of eating meat - the blood, veins, fat, skin... bleurgh! I do also think it's ridiculously cruel...

BUT I'm not one of these people who lecture others on the benefits of vegetarianism, nor do I mind if people eat meat in front of me. People have different views and opinions on things, and I just let people get on with it.
Reply 12
Vegetarianism allows for a more efficient transfer of biomass, helping to ease the current worldwide food shortage. Regardless of animal rights ethics, it's a good idea.
Reply 13
Scout1234
Yeah sorry for jumping the gun, but it must bother you somewhat to start a post on it? :p:

I've been a vegetarian for nearly eight years and it's basically because I can't stand the thought of eating meat - the blood, veins, fat, skin... bleurgh! I do also think it's ridiculously cruel...

BUT I'm not one of these people who lecture others on the benefits of vegetarianism, nor do I mind if people eat meat in front of me. People have different views and opinions on things, and I just let people get on with it.

oh thats ok, i think i didnt make myself clear, im not aware of any members in my family who are vegetarians, so i dont know, i guess i just wanted people's opinions on this? but the fact that you dont like the texture an stuff is completely understandable :biggrin:
Reply 14
Scout1234

:biggrin:itto: . Ive been vegetarian my entire life, I totally agree with what you say about people eating meat infront of me, I get on with not eating meat without lecturing so they do the same. :smile:
I don't take my personal morals from what I see in the natural world. Morally does not have much to do with what is 'natural'. If you want to do what's natural, then go and hunt your animals from the wild. Don't eat breeds of domesticated farm animals created by humans by artificial selection.

I can't justify eating animals to myself because farming and eating animals causes suffering to the animal. If I can eat a perfectly good diet without including meat, then I should.
Humans may eat meat as a matter of culture, but we're fully equipped to subsist perfectly healthily on completely vegetarian diets (whereas a purely carnivorous diet would be very unhealthy), so vegetarianism is no less natural than non-vegetarianism.

As far as why I am a vegetarian when the rest of the natural world has no qualms about killing to eat, well, it is my view that non-human animals are for the most part amoral beings, and thus aren't capable of recognising that causing suffering is wrong. Humans, on the other hand, are, and are also capable of recognising that killing to eat causes suffering, so we have an obligation not to do so. Considering that we can survive perfectly healthily without meat consumption, eating meat is a luxury, not a necessity, and I don't think it's right to hurt things for pleasure.

Also, the natural world is a terrible moral guidebook. "Naturalness" would mean social darwinism, abolition of medicine, and luddism, among other fun things. Certainly not the world I want to live in.
Reply 17
(P1) The moral action is the one that best satisfies the weighted preferences of all those affected.

(P2) Most animals that we eat for meat can experience suffering and pain.

(P3) Animals have a strong preference to not suffer.

(P4) Humans have a weak preference to eat meat.

(C1) We should not eat meat if animals suffer during its production.
I dont understand the concept of eating meat.. or eggs (its a chickens period! eeww) or milk (no other animal drinks the milk of another species..)..
Reply 19
I'm vegetarian, and I'm pretty sick of people asking me this question all the time. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual, I personally don't ask people who eat meat why they do, so why ask me to justify it?

I don't see there is a reason to eat meat. We don't NEED to eat meat to survive, so why kill innocent animals.

Latest

Trending

Trending