The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Vegetarians? oh and im sorry if there are any other similar threads out there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Rinsed
Well, while I don't think I ever saw that programme, I have seen others like it. Obviously they look at the very worst cases they can find, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it's normal. I don't know what the programme you watched said, but it you were to believe (as an extreme example of propaganda) PETA's films you'd think all animals suffered cruel, brutal, painful deaths at the hands of sadistic monsters.

In fact, in the vast majority of cases, this is completely untrue. Not only do we have laws ensuring that animals are killed as quickly and painlessly as possible, and inspectors policing it, but it's in the interest of the farmer/slaughterer to treat the animals well as it affects the quality of the meat.

There are always going to be abuses unfortunately, and we can only hope they are exposed and halted, as they would have been after the programme you watched. However, standards for farm animals are very good in this country, and we can be confident the vast majority of animals have quick, painless deaths. Did you ever watch 'Kill it, Cook it, Eat it'? That was a very good programme, showing how animals are killed and prepared, and is much more representative than the horror stories we see around.

I understand what you are saying, but stick by what i said, which is that I could not eat a land animal just incase it had a horrible death, as some few animals do. interesting though. x
Rinsed
Well, while I don't think I ever saw that programme, I have seen others like it. Obviously they look at the very worst cases they can find, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it's normal. I don't know what the programme you watched said, but it you were to believe (as an extreme example of propaganda) PETA's films you'd think all animals suffered cruel, brutal, painful deaths at the hands of sadistic monsters.

In fact, in the vast majority of cases, this is completely untrue. Not only do we have laws ensuring that animals are killed as quickly and painlessly as possible, and inspectors policing it, but it's in the interest of the farmer/slaughterer to treat the animals well as it affects the quality of the meat.

There are always going to be abuses unfortunately, and we can only hope they are exposed and halted, as they would have been after the programme you watched. However, standards for farm animals are very good in this country, and we can be confident the vast majority of animals have quick, painless deaths. Did you ever watch 'Kill it, Cook it, Eat it'? That was a very good programme, showing how animals are killed and prepared, and is much more representative than the horror stories we see around.

I would love to be able to agree with you, but I can't.

The standard of legislation protecting farm animals in this country is very low. We still allow the export of calves in veal crates (though admittedly the EU are to thank for that), we still allow the farming of animals in factory conditions, we still allow the routine mutilation of pigs (castration, tail docking and ear clipping remain common practice) and we still allow the keeping of farm animals in really tiny pens.
There's still a long way to go to reach something approaching what most people would consider moral standards.

In addition, enforcement is patchy: see http://www.alaw.org.uk/news/2006february28.pdf

It would be nice to believe that the animals which end up on people's plates had a decent life and a decent amount of space like in that 'Kill it, Cook it, Eat it' programme. But that simply isn't compatible with the intensive nature of farming needed to produce 50p supermarket chicken fillets.
Rinsed
While this is all true, we are certainly moving in the right direction, and we are a lot better than most countries, especially France and America.
I don't agree with factory farming methods, but when I said standards I was talking in terms of slaughtering, which are good here. The life of a factory farmed animal may be poor but at least we can be confident the end will be quick.

Also, don't forget that exporting for veal crates is because such practices are no longer allowed here. Though I'll admit it's a fairly sketchy argument to say that our standards are higher because we let the French do our dirty work.

While mutilation is a word with strong connotations, I'm not going to worry about the practices you mention. Tail-docking and ear-clipping are little more than an an annoyance for pigs, and done to prevent injury and animals chewing on each others tails when in cramped pens (again, not personally a fan, but hey). As for castration, there are good reasons for that, as there are for why almost all pet male cats and dogs are castrated.
If you want to ensure the animals have a better quality of life, I've always felt supporting free range farmers to be a better option than vegetarianism.

I agree with your comments on America, and, particularly, France. The standards of animal welfare across much of Europe are truly appalling.

I don't think your comments about pigs are quite correct - tail-docking in particular causes a great deal of stress to the animal. Saying that it is necessary because of insanely cramped conditions is a bit circular really: they shouldn't be in such cramped conditions in the first place.

As for supporting free-range farmers rather than buying factory-farmed meat, I commend you sir - though in my experience a lot of people who claim to support free-range farmers still buy 50p chicken fillets and seem to delude themselves as to where the meat comes from. There are still arguments that can be made in favour of vegetarianism, as previously ITT

Latest

Trending

Trending