The Student Room Group

My DSA application

I'm trying to work my way through the form so that I can print it off and send it off to the nice DSA people.

I will know doubt have a few questions so thought i'd through them into 1 thread rather than cluttering up the board. I'm a second year mathematician with Irlen's Syndrome and mild dyslexia.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to put here - There's a nice big box for me to write in.

a Please give full details and provide evidence of your disability, mental
health condition or specific learning difficulty.

I'm not sure what I should write and not sure what I should send off. I have a report from the psychologist who diagnosed me with dyslexia and also have my dyslexia screening report which diagnoses Irlen's Syndrome. Should I send both of these off? I'm worried about sending the originals - will they send these back to me?

Many thanks in advance :yep:
Reply 1
I think the screening report will do. You don't need to send the original, a photocopy will do (if it's small enough to be photocopied). Otherwise there's recorder delivery or you could get in touch with your GP. He or she may be able to provide a summary letter and this will do. You can produce the more detailed report at your Needs Assesment or when at uni.
Reply 2
River85
I think the screening report will do. You don't need to send the original, a photocopy will do (if it's small enough to be photocopied). Otherwise there's recorder delivery or you could get in touch with your GP. He or she may be able to provide a summary letter and this will do. You can produce the more detailed report at your Needs Assesment or when at uni.

Okay that's good, I'll be able to sort that out.

What do I have to write where it wants me to describe my difficulties? Ironically enough filling out forms and expressing my thoughts in words are very high up on the list of my difficulties...
Reply 3
kexy
Okay that's good, I'll be able to sort that out.

What do I have to write where it wants me to describe my difficulties? Ironically enough filling out forms and expressing my thoughts in words are very high up on the list of my difficulties...

You don't need to be very detailed in that section; the evidence you provide (usually a psychologists or doctors (or other qualified professionals) report will detail much of that for you). Your actual needs assessment is done separately, so I don't see any reason why you would have to be overly-detailed in that section.
Reply 4
River85

I think you're wrong regarding a GPs letter. I was explicitly told by the Disability Officer at the University I plan to go to that a GP letter is not sufficient - a copy of a report by a qualified professional is required with the DSA application (after all, the needs assessment is just to assess NEEDS, not whether you actually have the condition and require the funding -- therefore your LEA need the full report to be able to determine this).

This may be wrong, just what I've been told.
Reply 5
kexy

Yeah, that's a problem many people applying have, especially those with dyslexia or related difficulties. There are guidance notes that accompany the form, have you seen them? Unfortunately these aren't particularly detailed or helpful in my opinion.

Don't worry about it, just provide a basic overview of your condition. What it is that you have and a couple of sentences explaining how it affects you. It doesn't need to be detailed.

When it comes to your needs assessment, it's then that you'll be able to go into detail (and in person with someone who is hopefully relatively informed).

TempusV
I think you're wrong regarding a GPs letter. I was explicitly told by the Disability Officer at the University I plan to go to that a GP letter is not sufficient - a copy of a report by a qualified professional is required with the DSA application (after all, the needs assessment is just to assess NEEDS, not whether you actually have the condition and require the funding -- therefore your LEA need the full report to be able to determine this).

Sorry, my reply was probably too general. I wasn't really on top form then and I missed something out anyway.

Right, if you have a general medical condition (eg. mental health condition, epilepsy, diabetes) then a GP's letter is usually sufficient. For a specific learning disablity then a psychologist's report is usually required. You do not need to provide a report if your local authority have already been provided by one. However, you still need to tell them about any changes in your circumstances. Sorry for the confusion.

So send the report, try and photocopy it if you can. If you're at all concerned or not sure then contact your Local Education Authority. They'll be able to tell you exactly what's needed and how you can send it.

Even if you were able to go down the GP letter's route, they often charge for letters. They are certainly entitled to anyway, so you may get stung there. If you are getting a letter from your GP at any time, whether now or during your time at university, always try and ask if there will be a charge.
Reply 6
make sure you send photocopies op. if your lea is anything like mine, sending the originals would not be a wise thing to do. send copies of whatever/anything you have. if its not what they want they will ignore it, and just use what they do want. if they want anything else they will write to you.

in that box you can literally just put dyslexia and irlen syndrome. (i literally just wrote the word "dyspraxia" - which has since had other things such as irlen syndrome added onto my diagnosis. and it all went through fine)

incidentally i also am a mathematician - well, ex-mathematican. (i finished the degree)
Reply 7
TempusV

yeah your right. best send a copy of the full report op. i couldnt get dsa through my degree because i hadnt got a full assessment from the ed psych. even though it was on my gp records, and i had a letter from the o.t it wasnt enough. took me till i finished uni to get the proper assessment done by uni too. for whatever the cost of photocopying the report and postage is, its worth it to not hold stuff up by them writing back to you saying they do want more evidence after all
You only need to write 'Dyslexia and Irlens Syndrome, see attached reports' in the box.

The nature of Ed Psych reports handily means they explain the details for you.

If there's a separate bit for how it affects you, put 'makes reading, writing and filling in forms difficult'.

It's worth remembering the forms are generic to cover all disabilities and some people have problems that don't come with nice neat titles.

DEFINITELY send a COPY of the dyslexia screening report AND the Ed Pysch Report, DON'T send the orginals.

Latest