The Student Room Group

How does SFE DSA work?

I'm trying to apply for DSA.
I've been eligible for it since my BA, but when I was on my BA I spoke to someone at SFE and she said I would have to pay out of pocket for an assessment and I couldn't afford it at the time.
Now I'm on a PhD and I've been told that was wrong. Bit annoying but okay.
I'm trying to get it now, but I have no idea what the process is or what I'm doing. How does the DSA application work?
Reply 1
DSA for postgrad can be a little confusing - how is your PhD funded?

The government provide DSA through student finance. Unlike undergrad you can't apply online, you have to print off and send the DSA1 form (no clue why they make it so complicated like that). There's info and links to that here: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/how-to-claim
After applying and giving proof of disability you should get an assessment, and eventually the support you were assessed for, you usually get stuff bought for you/specific things reimbursed rather than them giving you money.

However, government DSA funding will not apply to all PhD students. If you are funded in certain ways - main one is Research Council funding but there are others, check Section 2 of the DSA1 form - student finance won't give you DSA as your funding body will instead. This was the case for me (ESRC funded) so I contacted my university disability advisor and she started the application process for me. It may differ by council and by the DTP etc your uni is in but contacting uni disability advisors or the admin contact for your funding pathway is probably the best bet if that's the case. For me it then progressed in the same way as government DSA - eventually had a needs assessment which I did not have to pay for myself and am now waiting to get the support confirmed. Don't know how it works for other funding bodies that can give you DSA though but I assume it would be a similar process again.
Reply 2
Original post by eeeli
DSA for postgrad can be a little confusing - how is your PhD funded?

The government provide DSA through student finance. Unlike undergrad you can't apply online, you have to print off and send the DSA1 form (no clue why they make it so complicated like that). There's info and links to that here: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/how-to-claim
After applying and giving proof of disability you should get an assessment, and eventually the support you were assessed for, you usually get stuff bought for you/specific things reimbursed rather than them giving you money.

However, government DSA funding will not apply to all PhD students. If you are funded in certain ways - main one is Research Council funding but there are others, check Section 2 of the DSA1 form - student finance won't give you DSA as your funding body will instead. This was the case for me (ESRC funded) so I contacted my university disability advisor and she started the application process for me. It may differ by council and by the DTP etc your uni is in but contacting uni disability advisors or the admin contact for your funding pathway is probably the best bet if that's the case. For me it then progressed in the same way as government DSA - eventually had a needs assessment which I did not have to pay for myself and am now waiting to get the support confirmed. Don't know how it works for other funding bodies that can give you DSA though but I assume it would be a similar process again.

Thank you!

I'm funded through SFE/loans (unfortunately) (was meant to get a waiver, long story).

Yeah, I don't get why SFE need it printed and posted for postgrad tbh but I'm willing to roll with it. I've asked my GP to do the form SFE gave me but I'm trying to speak to the disability officer at uni, because I'm told we have one, but I have no clue who they are or how to get to them.

But once I've done that, is that it? Is it just me sending the form, the evidence from GP and uni, and then waiting for an assessment?

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by PHDvsPGCE
Thank you!

I'm funded through SFE/loans (unfortunately) (was meant to get a waiver, long story).

Yeah, I don't get why SFE need it printed and posted for postgrad tbh but I'm willing to roll with it. I've asked my GP to do the form SFE gave me but I'm trying to speak to the disability officer at uni, because I'm told we have one, but I have no clue who they are or how to get to them.

But once I've done that, is that it? Is it just me sending the form, the evidence from GP and uni, and then waiting for an assessment?

Thanks again!

As far as I know yes! Potentially quite a bit of waiting but it happens eventually. With the assessment you might have to book it yourself (they will tell you when to do this and how) but you shouldn't have to pay for it. Once they assess you the assessment company sends the report to SFE and you wait to hear if it has been approved. If it has then you'd get on with arranging support/buying the stuff, obviously that process would depend on what support you got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending