The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
economicsessex
paul, do u think the warwick msc is much better than essex? i have applied to warwick and im predicting good enough grades. i didnt realize they would jack up the price so much.

If you give the links to the Essex Msc I will check it out.
How much does Essex cost?
Reply 22
economicsessex

Then:
i) Essex is only £900 cheaper
ii) Warwick is a much higher rep department.
iii) Essex do a lot less options.
iv) Warwick Msc is a better base in case you want to do more study later.
v)I do PhD with a guy who did Msc at Essex and he says that the Warwick Msc is better.

So I suggest Warwick.
Reply 23
Original?
I got rejected with a high 2.1/1st, I can't see you getting in with a 2.2 I'm afraid.

But did you not have terrible micro marks?
Or am I confusing you with someone else?

kkhimji2001
I got accepted for a msc in global finance and banking at european business school, i got a 2:2 from ucl

should i still apply to warwick for msc economics , just to open up my options?

Is there a good chance I will get accepted, and if I do, is it stronger than european business school?

What were your module marks like?
and what was the overall average mark?

Also are you unsure between Economics and Finance?
What is your motivation behind a return to uni?

ElemenT'
Really??? I thought WBS was supposed to be competitive? :s

WBS and Economics are totally seperate departments:
i) WBS is Warwick Business School and they provide Finance courses.
ii) Economics Department provides Economics courses.
Paulwhy
But did you not have terrible micro marks?
Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Don't worry you're not old enough for your memory to be failing you yet!I did have one poor micro mark, yes.

I would still be shocked if you were accepted with a 2.2 this year, unless you have extenuating circumstances. From the limited feedback I received, it seems the applications are particularly strong this year due to the increased appetite for postgraduate study.
Reply 25
Paulwhy
Yes Warwick and UCL are the best of your list. (LSE would require a GRE)

What is your training like compared with what is listed in post 2 above?

I have studied all the Math/Stats requirements and my undergrad is a degree in Economics.
Maths is my strong suit, Macroec is the chink.

hey Paul, why is Warwick regarded as well as it is? And which Department is exalted for its theoretical Microec course?

Thanks!
Reply 26
shaina
I have studied all the Math/Stats requirements and my undergrad is a degree in Economics.
Maths is my strong suit, Macroec is the chink.

hey Paul, why is Warwick regarded as well as it is? And which Department is exalted for its theoretical Microec course?

Thanks!

Warwick biggest strength is theoretical Microeconomics.
e.g. Hammond, Polemarchakis
Other strengths include development and history.
Reply 27
Paul, I'm past emotional now!!! :woo:

I'm an international student (Economics Honours from University of Delhi, India) and as such, how would you fare my chances? How is my university and degree perceived in your part of the world? :smile:

However, my ultimate concern is student placement in the job market after an MSc; I am not sure if I would consider enrolling in a Phd programme just yet.

So from your experience, where did your classmates (seniors) go?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 28
shaina
Paul, I'm past emotional now!!! :woo:

I am not exactly sure what that is in reference to.

shaina
I'm an international student (Economics Honours from University of Delhi, India) and as such, how would you fare my chances? How is my university and degree perceived in your part of the world? :smile:

As long as you have the grades I would rate your chances highly.
What are your current grades by the way?

shaina
However, my ultimate concern is student placement in the job market after an MSc; I am not sure if I would consider enrolling in a Phd programme just yet.
So from your experience, where did your classmates (seniors) go?
Thanks in advance!

The people who wanted jobs got jobs.
And those who wanted PhD places have PhD places.
Hi Paul,
Could you please tell me what taught modules are the most well taught in the Economics Masters program?
What faculty members are the most well known in their fields. I don't know much about academics from the UK or about the economics departments.
Comapre to a MSc Econ degree at LSE, where does the Warwick degree stand in terms of academics, course modules and general reputation?
Lastly, (sorry for so many questions!), are there any research projects that are currently going on in the department which Masters students can assist with?

Your input can really help so thank you.
Reply 30
Paulwhy
I am not exactly sure what that is in reference to.

It translated to thank you, ignore it.

Paulwhy
As long as you have the grades I would rate your chances highly.
What are your current grades by the way?

That was why I mentioned my university and course; were there any former students from DU at Warwick?

I will apply for 2010. I am expecting a 1st division in my Economics degree and have had a 90%+ aggregate in 10th and 12th grade.

Paulwhy
The people who wanted jobs got jobs.
And those who wanted PhD places have PhD places.

Has that changed much now? With the current economic scenario?

Thank you Paul, I really appreciate this.
Reply 31
economicsessex
warwick has jacked up their price from 6850 to 8150 in a year. dont you just love unis price gouging students in a recession.

But Warwick are still the cheapest of the big 5:
I have now started a spreadsheet to store info for taught Postgrdauate courses in Economics at Uk universities:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rcf0S1p4-udUcSa6BD3cXVw&output=html

7) Oxford Mphil (2 year) Uni Fees Uni UK/EU Fees (£8,000 (1st year), £4,500 (2nd year), Uni Overseas Fees £11,750 (1st year) £11,750 (2nd year) +College Fees £1,900-2,300
10) LSE Msc (1 year) UK/EU £18048 Overseas £18048
27) Warwick Msc (1 year) UK/EU £8160 Overseas £11810
36) UCL UK/EU £9280 (08/09) Overseas £14040
51) Cambridge Mphil Uni fees (£7385 UK/EU, £13350 Overseas) AND £2175 (College)
Why the funny numbering?
The numbers reflect the Universiteis worldwide research rankings for economics:
http://ideas.repec.org/top/top.inst.all.html
Reply 32
What % of candidates have a 2.1 at Warwick? Do most have a First?
Reply 33
I am pretty sure a fair amount of 2.1s is considered for this program, although I am guessing these 2.1s are high (B+, near A-). Quant marks are also very important. I will be reading Economics from Sep 2009 and I graduated with high 2.1 (almost First, but not First :rolleyes: ).
Reply 34
ElemenT'
What % of candidates have a 2.1 at Warwick? Do most have a First?

This question was already answered in the Warwick Post:
Do I need a First?
No firsts are not requried. only about a third of msc students have firsts:
[PRE]Year #Firsts #2:1s %Firsts[/PRE]
[PRE]2007 12 21 36.36%[/PRE]
[PRE]2008 3 5 37.50%[/PRE]
Note in 2008 the degree class of many applicnats is uncrecorded (23) or Overseas (30). Hence the small absolute numbers.
source http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rsKsHSjRgqip0wpRkmWIUBQ
Warwick source http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/mip/businessinformation/academicstatistics/2008/economics.pdf

So it is about a third.

mateuszz
I am pretty sure a fair amount of 2.1s is considered for this program, although I am guessing these 2.1s are high (B+, near A-). Quant marks are also very important. I will be reading Economics from Sep 2009 and I graduated with high 2.1 (almost First, but not First :rolleyes: ).

Yes. (although B+ and A- marking is not used at Warwick).
Reply 35
Paul, why doesn't Nottinghams MSc programme or Manchesters MA programme in straight Economics feature on the list?
Reply 36
otu1987
Paul, why doesn't Nottinghams MSc programme or Manchesters MA programme in straight Economics feature on the list?

Have not had time yet to enter their details. What I have got is in the spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rcf0S1p4-udUcSa6BD3cXVw&output=html
Reply 37
otu1987

Added in Notts

[pre]_7) Oxford1234 Mphil (2 year) 1st year UK/EU £9,900/£10,300 Overseas £13,650/£14,050
1234567890123456789012345678902nd year UK/EU £6,400/£6,800 Overseas £13,650/£14,050[/pre]
[pre]10) LSE123456 Msc (1 year) UK/EU £18,048 Overseas £18,048[/pre]
[pre]27) Warwick123Msc (1 year) UK/EU12£8,160 Overseas £11,810[/pre]
[pre]36) UCL123456 Msc (1 year) UK/EU12£9,280 Overseas £14,040[/pre]
[pre]51) Cambridge Mphil (1 year) UK/EU12£9,560 Overseas £15,525 [/pre]

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=896049
Hi Paul, is it possible to do a masters in a single subject i.e Maths or Econ, after doing a undergraduate joint degree in Maths and Economics? I'm just worried that "you don't know enough" of one particular topic to do a MSc in one subject after your undergrad, thanks.
Reply 39
plopSDCSDC
Hi Paul, is it possible to do a masters in a single subject i.e Maths or Econ, after doing a undergraduate joint degree in Maths and Economics? I'm just worried that "you don't know enough" of one particular topic to do a MSc in one subject after your undergrad, thanks.

Msc Econ would be fine.
Msc Maths not fine. i.e. with M+E basically you would not being doing 3rd year undergrad Maths options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending