The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
bazc350
Not studying econometrics this year. My situation's a bit weird- I actually started my degree in Industrial Economics (not really an economics degree) and switched into the 2nd year of economics (which is totally isolated from Industrial- as such it wasn't straightforward; admissions needed a bit of persuading!)

This meant I'd missed the first year intro econometrics stream which was needed to take econometrics in 2nd year (and of course, 2nd year econometrics needed to take 3rd year modules). I do regret not trying harder to get onto econometrics now that I'm thinking of doing a Masters... but I did do the 2 intro econometric courses (which together basically covered the whole Introductory Econometrics textbook by Dougherty) and hence covered a lot of the stuff I bolded. And yeah, I did do linear restrictions- but it was just limited to H0: Beta = 0 and H1: Beta (does not =) 0; we did do some stuff in the first year where Beta </> 0 briefly though and implications on one/two tail t-tests, but nothing more than that.

It looks like the A and B streams within the Warwick course might cater for my situation anyway? Would you agree?

You will face the situation that all Msc students who have 'only' done 1 econometrics course face. A is a bit low and B is a bit high.
B is a lot of matrices. e.g. it is formal.
So over the summer look at some more advanced econometrics books.

bazc350
I'll speak to my tutor this week regarding my application and ask his opinions on it also.!

Well you should certainly apply!
e.g. your application sounds very strong for Warwick to me.

bazc350
Thanks for the advice- it'll be highly useful in the coming weeks I'm sure!

:smile:
Reply 161
Thanks Paul. I'll definitely try and look over some econometrics books (or try and get some notes from the 2nd/3rd year econometrics courses from Nottingham) over the summer; I want to be in the position to hopefully look at a more rigorous econometrics course so will try and make up that gap in my knowledge!
Reply 162
bazc350
Thanks Paul. I'll definitely try and look over some econometrics books (or try and get some notes from the 2nd/3rd year econometrics courses from Nottingham) over the summer; I want to be in the position to hopefully look at a more rigorous econometrics course so will try and make up that gap in my knowledge!

great
hey paul, do you have any statistic about applicants/offers/enrolments for a postgraduate in exeter or bristol??
Reply 164
DerLumpy00
hey paul, do you have any statistic about applicants/offers/enrolments for a postgraduate in exeter or bristol??

No.
have u ever played football with abhinay? it was.....interesting to say the least.
Reply 166
economicsessex
have u ever played football with abhinay? it was.....interesting to say the least.

Tell me more.
So I have applied to Warwick. They have received my application material and it has been saying "Payment Received" for 10 days now. Are there any other stati before "offer" for example? Are they rolling admission?

And in case of multiple offers from various universities, is it fine to keep university x waiting a few weeks to see who else is offering you a course?

Thanks for any help. :smile:
Reply 168
Rob L
So I have applied to Warwick. They have received my application material and it has been saying "Payment Received" for 10 days now. Are there any other stati before "offer" for example?

I can't recall the various statuses. But it will normally take a few weeks.

Rob L
Are they rolling admission?

Yes

Rob L
And in case of multiple offers from various universities, is it fine to keep university x waiting a few weeks to see who else is offering you a course?

Yes.
Reply 169
Rob L
So I have applied to Warwick. They have received my application material and it has been saying "Payment Received" for 10 days now. Are there any other stati before "offer" for example? Are they rolling admission?

Without wanting to seem callous, until the day you pay your fees, you're free to withdraw. Its not that bad to do it; they build it into to their plans i.e give out more offers than there are places.
Reply 170
Just receive a Msc economics offer from Warwick conditional on sending them a paper copy of my degree certificate or transcript and another reference... I am really surprised one of my referees still has not submitted his reference and Warwick gives out offer without having two references >_<
Tarutaru
Just receive a Msc economics offer from Warwick conditional on sending them a paper copy of my degree certificate or transcript and another reference... I am really surprised one of my referees still has not submitted his reference and Warwick gives out offer without having two references >_<

Hey, first off, congrats!!!!

Secondly, when did you apply and whats your profile if i may ask??? :smile:
Reply 172
Tarutaru

If you have read the op in this thread hopefully the Warwick offer was not too much of a shock.
I know something of your background:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=20805506#post20805506
But it would be greatto know which uni you were at and what modules you studied. (I am guessing SOAS or RH). check out the Warwick Preliminary knowledge post:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10923238#post10923238

What are your objectives from doing an msc? and what are you doing at the moment?
Reply 173
congrats on the warwick offer!

ive heard a lot about lse and ucl's msc in economics, but very little about cambridge's mphil economics

is the latter less reputable? i hear that ucl and lse come higher in the research rankings, but does this really matter for a msc (which is a mainly taught course anyway...)

how do teaching standards vary between these places?
I did the Cambridge MPhil, feel free to PM me if you've any questions.
Reply 175
roxy potter
I did the Cambridge MPhil, feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

Which year?
I did Option A last year(08/09)
Reply 177
roxy potter
I did Option A last year(08/09)

Cool. I have some friends who did option A in 06/07
Warwick tells me "decision posted", but no email!!!! Does this mean I'm rejected? I thought decisions were emailed???? Oh :snow::snow::snow::snow: I'm freaking out a bit right now since Warwick is nominally the easiest department to get in to that i applied to in the UK!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown: I need some hope!!!
Reply 179
Rob L
Warwick tells me "decision posted", but no email!!!! Does this mean I'm rejected? I thought decisions were emailed???? Oh :snow::snow::snow::snow: I'm freaking out a bit right now since Warwick is nominally the easiest department to get in to that i applied to in the UK!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown: I need some hope!!!

Have you checked on line?
i.e. posted can mean posted online.

I can't recall your background but if your current degree is economics and you have good marks then you should be fine. Finally in a worse case scenario you can still apply to more unis: no limit to number of msc applications you can make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending