The Student Room Group
Reply 1
BearKing
Anyone remember the question from the January OCR B spec paper about iron; I had no clue, and still don't as I haven't been able to see a copy of the paper since. Does anyone know what the answer was, and what kind of thing I should be revising. Looking over the materials stuff I can't find anything on materials changing due to heat (in terms of their mass, bonding and density).
Cheers.

Sorry, I don't know what question we are talking about. What I can tell you is this: As you add heat to a substance,

1. Mass stays the same unless you have evaporation, which is highly unlikely in Iron.
2. Bonding will not change a lot. But since the molecules get more energy, they vibrate more, and bonds might get a bit longer - by far not enough to break them, but bond length may increase by a bit.
3. If the above is true, the material will expand with the heat - same mass at greater volume is lower density.

That is, if I remember correctly...
Reply 2
Hmm, it would help if I could remember the question. I think it might might have to do with the lattice arrangement, showing two different possible layouts. Hmm, can anyone recall?

Latest