The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Fi0na.
Wow, I couldn't have wished for a better paper! The last part of question 2 was a bit weird, but it's AQA at the end of the day. I did the water essay, simply because it's the only one I'd done previously for a mock.

What did people put for starch? I said it was a storage of glucose, but my friend put carbohydrates. Cellulose for support? Although it's in the leaf so I'm not sure..

Yeh, I put starch for storage and cellulose for support.

I'm glad you found it good :smile:
Reply 301
Kinkerz
For the reducing sugar one did anyone put that the red colour would be deeper with more concentred sugar solution, so using a colorimeter to see which let less light through would indicate which had more sugar in?

green means relatively little sugar and as it progresses from green-yellow-red it means amount of reducing sugar increases
Reply 302
moves-my-world

xi) Vasoconstriction of arterioles limiting milk[2]
less volume of water passes, less water absorbed to milk

For that one I put reduced blood-flow means less oxytocin can be transported to the cells of the mammary glands. Kind of a guess though..=/
BioSam
For that one I put reduced blood-flow means less oxytocin can be transported to the cells of the mammary glands. Kind of a guess though..=/

I put this. (Y)
Reply 304
BioSam

I said this, but put 'pituitary extract' rather than 'oxytocin'.
Reply 305
Yes, I think it is looking for reduced blood flow - well I hope anyway because I put the same as you all did :smile:
Reply 306
Noooooooooooooo I put reducing sugars go blue! lol and that the more reducing sugars there is present, the darker solution gets... think there could be one mark there ? loll
Reply 307
hassan90
Noooooooooooooo I put reducing sugars go blue! lol and that the more reducing sugars there is present, the darker solution gets... think there could be one mark there ? loll

blue.... hahahaha.. sorry man just made me laugh.... lol
Reply 308
I put ultracentrifuge and then test if the supernatant reacts with Benedicts. If it does the supernatant is REDUCING SUGAR!
Now I know this isnt what they're looking for but certainly my method would work?
Reply 309
jaison2
blue.... hahahaha.. sorry man just made me laugh.... lol

Initially it is blue. It goes from blue to red. Easy mistake to make.
Reply 310
Kinkerz
Initially it is blue. It goes from blue to red. Easy mistake to make.

i didnt put that colourometer thing.... how many marks would that be? 1?
Reply 311
jaison2
i didnt put that colourometer thing.... how many marks would that be? 1?

I don't even know if the colourimeter idea is right.
Testing the strength of the colour is correct, definately. The same question is pretty much asked in my notes.
Reply 313
I put colorimetry down as well - as a last second guess...literally. Brings back memories of a particularly boring practical where we had to analyse the colour of the juices from beetroot.
Don't even remind me of that one, "Make sure you wear goggles and gloves at all times, don't want death defying beetroot to get in your eyes"
Yer I put colorimetry down as well and compare the intesties of red produced.
Reply 315
bearrr17
green means relatively little sugar and as it progresses from green-yellow-red it means amount of reducing sugar increases

Yeah - I just mentioned that the intensity of the colour (yellow/orange/red) will increase as concentration of reducing sugar increases. If the solution remains blue, then a non-reducing sugar is present... sucrose!
Reply 316
I put "taste it, and see which is tastier"

Just kidding :lol:
Reply 317
leepee
I put "taste it, and see which is tastier"

That may just be on the mark scheme! :yep:

Was anybody worried about people leaving early during this exam? I think the first person left around an hour in?!
Reply 318
Joshilini
That may just be on the mark scheme! :yep:

Was anybody worried about people leaving early during this exam? I think the first person left around an hour in?!

No one in my exam hall is allowed to leave unless they have to use the toilet or the time is up.
Reply 319
CyberLink
No one in my exam hall is allowed to leave unless they have to use the toilet or the time is up.

Oh right. There were only about 15 people in the hall (and 2 were doing a Film Studies exam). The invigilators just said once you're done you can go (after the first hour is up).

I'm guessing the people who left early either found the exam easy, underestimated the exam questions or just got bored.

Latest

Trending

Trending