The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Lou Reed
Ok, and i was just giving my views on reincarnation in general...

Interesting about the buddhists though, do they not believe in a god at all? How do they believe that people are reincarted (i.e. by what means?) just curious.

But also...i don't see why you're so adamant that karma and reincarnation must go hard in hand, they can yes, and it would solve the "rapist who won the lottery" debate from above, but they don't have to.

Reincarnation's something you believe in. Karma is something else you believe in.

Buddhists believe its a natural force/law that occurs, nothing to do with supernatural entity.
Karma and reincarnation can go seperatley, but in the traditional, theological sense they are interlinked like heaven and hell.
cpj1987
I don't believe in karma as some mystical force, but do believe that people make their own lives and create their own 'karma'.
I completely agree with you here.
yeah i like the idea of it :smile:
I don't believe in karma i think people use it as an excuse when something bad happens to something. For example if you do something bad to someone then a few years later something bad happens to you that isn't directly related is it karma? No because since it isn't related it would probably happen anyway, however if it is related it isn't karma its the other pissed off person who is following the human instinct of revenge.
Reply 45
nolongerhearthemusic
But how? Surely it depends on an afterlife?

I think that Karma repays you in this life not in the next ... Kinda like in my name is earl ... :biggrin:

If you go good things good things will happen to you. You've just got to wait and believe.
Greghouse
I think that Karma repays you in this life not in the next ... Kinda like in my name is earl ... :biggrin:

If you go good things good things will happen to you. You've just got to wait and believe.

Depends what religious thought of school you believe, if any, but almost all say karma effects are witnessed over a period of lifetimes.
Greghouse

Oh right, I've never heard of Karma like that before.
Not at all.
Reply 49
Charzhino
Depends what religious thought of school you believe, if any, but almost all say karma effects are witnessed over a period of lifetimes.

nolongerhearthemusic
Oh right, I've never heard of Karma like that before.

Ya, it's a more of a weastern way of looking at it but I honestly can't belive that a God of anysort would continually make someone suffer for something they did in another life (sins of the father etc).

I think it's more direct, but not neccesarily obviously so ...
Reply 50
Yes.
It's happened loads of times thankfully :h:
Greghouse
Ya, it's a more of a weastern way of looking at it but I honestly can't belive that a God of anysort would continually make someone suffer for something they did in another life (sins of the father etc).

I think it's more direct, but not neccesarily obviously so ...

It wouldn't be God's fault there suffering, it would be only down to the persons own bad deeds that have resulted in the punishment. When talking about another 'life' it's essentially the same person as it's the same soul that has transmigrated and not a different person.
Reply 52
Charzhino
It wouldn't be God's fault there suffering, it would be only down to the persons own bad deeds that have resulted in the punishment. When talking about another 'life' it's essentially the same person as it's the same soul that has transmigrated and not a different person.

Yeah, I see what you're saying but I just always assume it's God who sets the gules for the game.

Also, unless you remember who you were or what you did in your last life, it may as well be considered another life ... Right?
Greghouse
Yeah, I see what you're saying but I just always assume it's God who sets the gules for the game.

Also, unless you remember who you were or what you did in your last life, it may as well be considered another life ... Right?

Yes God would set the rules of the game but he would not cause unwanted suffering, unlike in Christianity and Islam where there is seemingly no genuine explanation of why people are born into suffering other than, God knows best.

I don't think according to the doctrine of reincarnation you will know who you where in the past life, but there have been studies on people who claim to recall past lives with accuracy, which can be found on wikipedia, but I don't really believe that.
As for a different life, not really because the soul is the same. The body is just a vehicle for the soul. Think of it like a car and a driver, where the driver is the soul. The driver can drive many cars but he will always remain the constant.
Reply 54
Yeah, Stalin murdered over 20 million people and lived his life in complete luxury and he was (and often still is) seen as a national hero. Karma? Lol wat
Reply 55
I used to, but I'm beginning to lose faith in it.
Reply 56
Charzhino
Yes God would set the rules of the game but he would not cause unwanted suffering, unlike in Christianity and Islam where there is seemingly no genuine explanation of why people are born into suffering other than, God knows best.

I don't think according to the doctrine of reincarnation you will know who you where in the past life, but there have been studies on people who claim to recall past lives with accuracy, which can be found on wikipedia, but I don't really believe that.
As for a different life, not really because the soul is the same. The body is just a vehicle for the soul. Think of it like a car and a driver, where the driver is the soul. The driver can drive many cars but he will always remain the constant.

err ... You've lost me ... :confused:

What point were we trying to get to?
No.
people wanting revenge should do something about it themselves and not leave it to 'fate'
if something bad happen to you, surely you did something to deserve it if that's the case? and then it's just an on going cycle
people who have been through bad experiences and up-bringing can be led into doing more wrong, so there's a reason for what bad they do and not just because of 'fate'

edit: and when something bad happens to you that isn't related to the wrong you've done before, then it's not karma as there's no link
Greghouse
err ... You've lost me ... :confused:

What point were we trying to get to?

Lol when discussing karma/reincarnation there is always confusion.
Basically you said if you cannot remember your previous life, then you would be wrongly being suffered for past sins in your new body.
I said, because the soul is the same, and the body is just a ''vehicle'' carrying the soul, the essence of the person is still the same from teh previous life. If you still don't understand it, it's fine since things involving this topic can get pretty deep and complex.
Reply 59
No.

Latest

Trending

Trending