The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Alpha Industries - what comes to mind?

I really wasn't sure where to put this thread, I figured this was the most appropriate one so here it goes:

When I say Alpha Industries what comes to mind?

Now you're probably wondering "Wtf is he on about?" Basically it's a clothing brand and I like some of their stuff. However here in Spain it's often associated with skinhead/nazi culture and as such it's a bit risky to wear say an Alpha Industries jacket on the street, depending on what neighborhood you enter it could be close to a fatal mistake. That's why I'm wondering, are there any negative connotations with the Alpha Industries brand in the UK or is it only in Spain? I'm looking at one of their jackets and they've got some quality stuff but if it has the same social and cultural implications over in the UK then I think I'll pass and stick to other brands. I know it's a weird question but I'm curious as I'll be moving there in September.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Well I've never heard of it so I'd guess it's ok.
Reply 2
For some reason it makes me think of some evil corporation plotting to take over the world :o:
Reply 3
neillya1
For some reason it makes me think of some evil corporation plotting to take over the world :o:

Exactly what I thought. Sounds quite appropriate for neo-Nazis.
Reply 4
Hahah I see, thanks for the input guys. Alpha Industries is a pretty standard brand in the USA I think, it makes military wear. For example, the classic Alpha Industries jacket features an orange inside so that when a pilot is downed he or she can invert the jacket so the bright orange stands out when they search the area for rescue purposes. In reality what people here did in the 90s was turn the jacket inside out to show that they were looking for a fight for fun, which didn't help the brand's reputation. :P

Latest

Trending

Trending