The Student Room Group

Chem Edexcel Unit 6 practical Edexcel

Everyone who's doing the Unit 6 practical on Thursday 26th may propably has the user guide book for practical examinations of tests 3A and 6A which tells u the tests of organic stuff etc. does any 1 know any specific pages of the that we need to know which could help us for the practical on thursday. Any other information about what papers we should take in would be appreciative.

Just incase people don't know what book i'm talkin about. Here is what's written on it exactly

-----
Edexcel Advanced Subsidiary GCE in
Chemistry (8080)
Edexcel Advanced GCE in Chemistry (9080)
Practical examinations
Unit tests 3A and 6A
August 2000
-----

Thank you and good luck!
Reply 1
Yup I'm doing it.

The whole booklet will be useful but I assume a lot of the organic tests (e.g 2,4DNP, ammoniacal silver nitrate etc.) will be required plus the colours of transition metal preciptates/solutions.
Reply 2
For the edexcel practical chemistry 6A paper - Question 4 - You are required to plan a procedure "involving organic techniques"

some 1 help me out here. what do they refer to by organic techniques
Reply 3
organic technique will be something like, recrystalisation, or purification, could also be a distillation/fractional distillation,,, It will not be something like "show how to turn an alchohol into a carboxylic
Reply 4
Yep , remeber if the devising question will always have something to do with practical techniques.

If they ask you how to purify a certain compound you shouldn't write react it with x and then y.

Your answer should be based on practical techniques like filtration/distallation/ crystallisation/heating under reflux.
Reply 5
There has also been a question in the past about distinguishing between 3/4 compounds e.g. alkene, alcohol, aldehyde, ketone etc.

Latest