The Student Room Group

Private candidate A-level help

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I was planning on doing a biology A-level as a private candidate, but seeing as I live in the Netherlands I was wanting to know if I would have to study the international version or the standard UK version, as I've heard they have changed alot.
Also would I have to do the practicals still ? I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xoia
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I was planning on doing a biology A-level as a private candidate, but seeing as I live in the Netherlands I was wanting to know if I would have the study the international version or the standard UK version, as I've heard they have changed alot.
Would I also have to do practicals still ? I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere.
Also I would like to know, if possible, if anyone knows where I can get books and past papers from please.

As you live and presumably plan to do the exams in NL you should do the international A level. Your main choices are Edexcel/Pearson or Cambridge International. OXFORD AQA have begun to offer IAL but only recently and I understand they are not yet widely available.
Assuming you have found an exam centre to take the exams find out which they can offer. If you can do EDEXCEL IAL, knowledge of practical issues is tested in two written exams (unit 3 and 6) and while it’s tough to prepare for these if you don’t have lab facilities you at least don’t have to do a hands on exam. Edexcel are updating IAL biology, whether you take the new (2018) or old version depends on when you plan to take exams.
For Cambridge international you have to take hands-on specific timetabled practical exams. These can be difficult to do, hard to find a centre and expensive. I recommend doing local research.

The examiners provide detailed specifications for IAL on their web sites along with past papers and text book recommendations. Google Edexcel biology IAL and Cambridge biology IAL and you should find them.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
As you live and presumably plan to do the exams in NL you should do the international A level. Your main choices are Edexcel/Pearson or Cambridge International. OXFORD AQA have begun to offer IAL but only recently and I understand they are not yet widely available.
Assuming you have found an exam centre to take the exams find out which they can offer. If you can do EDEXCEL IAL, knowledge of practical issues is tested in two written exams (unit 3 and 6) and while it’s tough to prepare for these if you don’t have lab facilities you at least don’t have to do a hands on exam. Edexcel are updating IAL biology, whether you take the new (2018) or old version depends on when you plan to take exams.
For Cambridge international you have to take hands-on specific timetabled practical exams. These can be difficult to do, hard to find a centre and expensive. I recommend doing local research.

The examiners provide detailed specifications for IAL on their web sites along with past papers and text book recommendations. Google Edexcel biology IAL and Cambridge biology IAL and you should find them.

Thank's for answering everything I needed to know, appreciate the help.
Hey, I took all of my A Levels as a private candidate and the first thing you should do is find a centre that accepts private candidates. I did mine with CIE because that was the only exam board available where I live and you can find a list of all the centres in your country that offers CIE based exams here:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/find-a-cambridge-school/
Most countries have a British Council that accepts private candidates for both Edexcel and CIE so if you can find one then they're probably the best place to take your exams. Biology was actually one of the subjects I planned on taking but CIE has a practical component and the British Council in my country offered only written-based exams so you should email or phone the centre first to check its availability.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by flyingboatmen
Hey, I took all of my A Levels as a private candidate and the first thing you should do is find a centre that accepts private candidates. I did mine with CIE because that was the only exam board available where I live and you can find a list of all the centres in your country that offers CIE based exams here:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/find-a-cambridge-school/
Most countries have a British Council that accepts private candidates for both Edexcel and CIE so if you can find one then they're probably the best place to take your exams. Biology was actually one of the subjects I planned on taking but CIE has a practical component and the British Council in my country offered only written-based exams so you should email or phone the centre first to check its availability.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for you help, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
Hi , can you please tell me i dropped SULFURIC ACID ON MY BARCODE ?

what do i do ?
Hi, I was also planning to take A-level exa,ms in Netherlands, but cant find any center that accept me as a private candidate. Did you find any center?

Quick Reply

Latest