The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
sahsum
you could include the trophic levels in functioning as well as the nutrient cycle, so at a long push even predator-prey, perhaps abit extreme.
my examiners guide tells me you'd have to describe and explain for biomes, i dnt think they would set an essay about factors affecting.
but even so "they key factors influencing biomes are climate, soil, relief and human activity"
so as long as you include those!
also, from looking at past papers, you also get two of either structure, distribution, functioning in these questions:
e.g. "Describe and explain the distribution and functioning of one grassland biome"
or "Describe and explain the distribution and functioning of one forest biome"
or "Describe and explain the strucure and functioning of one major biome"

ALWAYS include a diagram on the nutrient cycle for functioning.
make sure you know enough about the biomes soil as part of structure.

Thanks! =)
I love ecosystems! I know my biomes inside out now!
How much areyou learning about soil processes? =)
Reply 121
I know enough about factors affecting soil in general, and factors affecting a podsol, but have little for intrazonal, anyone fancy posting there notes??
Im guna have a read through leaching, ferrallitisation etc tomoz
Reply 122
How would you go about answering the question: " Assess the influence of terrestrial, atmospheric and human factors on the distribution, structure and functioning of a forest biome" (tropical). I want that question to come up!!!
Reply 123
i don't think you'd get a question with that much detail, more likely to be something like "describe and explain the distribution anf functioning of a tropical biome" abit easier i think!
Reply 124
arrgh need help after going throught the ecosystems syllabus, i have nothing on the section about people and the future of ecosystem management! can any one help me please?
humans .... haha.

termites, snakes,tigers, earthworms
Reply 126
clarey
arrgh need help after going throught the ecosystems syllabus, i have nothing on the section about people and the future of ecosystem management! can any one help me please?

are you on edexcel A
A classic for this is management of the rainforest, deforestation etc
Reply 127
Can someone PLEASE post their notes/case-study on plagio-climax? I don't have anything!
~Sam~
Can someone PLEASE post their notes/case-study on plagio-climax? I don't have anything!

not really much info but I know that the Prairies in USA is thought to be a plagio-climax because it was burnt by humans centuries ago.
Plagio-climax does mean human-induced yeh? :redface:
~Sam~

[FONT=Verdana]im new 2 this site, but again the plagioclimax thing, im havin trouble finding a decent enough case study on it.
i studied sand dunes in aberffraw and i know that the climatic climax couldnt be reached due to mans interference in the form of tourism, people trampling the dunes restricted vegetation to grow, rabbits also dug burrows which eventually form large blowouts, the wind takes advantage of the already eroded pathways and further erodes, plants die due to loss of habitat, insects, birds and animals also are affected, theres also a road build behind the dunes stopping them from progressing any further? erm, yeh thats about it. if anyone can give me any more case studies about plagioclimaxes it would be greatly appreciated!!
oh yeh! prairies!
savana grasslands are thought to be man induced!
It is suggested that African savana grasslands are not climatic climax communities, but are mainly the result of fire either deliberatley by farmers in the area or by lightening from the summer electric storms. Then you can talk about how all the vegetation here is pyrophytic (fire resistant), the roots are extensive so the plants can regrow after a fire, a lot of trees in the area have thick fire proof bark etc etc, is anyone reading this?
Reply 131
_butterfly_
oh yeh! prairies!
savana grasslands are thought to be man induced!
It is suggested that African savana grasslands are not climatic climax communities, but are mainly the result of fire either deliberatley by farmers in the area or by lightening from the summer electric storms. Then you can talk about how all the vegetation here is pyrophytic (fire resistant), the roots are extensive so the plants can regrow after a fire, a lot of trees in the area have thick fire proof bark etc etc, is anyone reading this?

I am :smile:. I think I'm just gonna try and do the other question if that one comes up!

Woo I think I FINALLY understand podsols. Kind of. :biggrin:
~Sam~
I am :smile:. I think I'm just gonna try and do the other question if that one comes up!

Woo I think I FINALLY understand podsols. Kind of. :biggrin:

our teacher didnt cover soils, she kinda ran out of time, so i have no idea what so ever, im just hoping theres one nice question on ecosystems
so what are the main things we need to know for ecosystems (excluding all the soil stuff!)
biomes, distribution of biomes, all that food web+chains stuff, mans interference and creation of plagioclimaxes, succession in lithosere+hyrdosere, anything else?
Reply 134
thats it i think
inm dreading this exam 2mro! aaah!
anyway gud luck to everyone!
im sure we'll all get A's!!

Latest

Trending

Trending