The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The importance of personal appearance

This is a strange question, and I'm not sure if it's in the right place so I'm expecting it to be moved (a good intro to a new forum :p:)

Looking at the world of employment I see much mention of image being important, especially for interviews. Those who look good and dress well are assumed to be more likely to take care with their work, which I feel is rediculous. (e.g surely they are more likely to get distracted to remove a loose hair from their shirt when they should be working?) Reading around for advice on what to wear/not wear to interviews or just in general there are many mentions of "being more confident knowing you're dressed well" and the like, surely I'm not the only one who doesn't get it?

I have never seen the point of "looking good for myself", I don't feel better having spent ages matching the colour of my shirt with my shoes and styling my hair as I cannot see these things, they cannot have any effect on my confidence. The only reason I see to care about appearance is to impress others, be it a potential employer or a girl/guy you like, or because you are insecure and need people saying you look good on a daily basis. Am I completely mad just being happy being me as I fall out of the shower? Can anyone explain the benefits they feel from looking good? I'm not talking about not taking daily showers, growing an endless beard or not ironing clothes and the like - I'm not a scruffy person I just don't see the point in doing things for any reason other than physical comfort.

I look forward to an interesting discussion, I'm sure I'm missing something very important in my life :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Looking after yourself is a discipline. If you are going to a job interview they need t know that you are able to look professional. If you want to impress a lady its nice to feel confident in yourself. Personally if im not going out il look a total mess but i do try and look nice when i am out as it makes me feel confident and attractive.
Reply 2
I've found that, if you are well-presented, you make a better first impression. Whilst it may not be a pleasant thought, appearances are important as they're the first thing a person will notice. I think it's only natural therefore to want to look your best, especially in important situations. Dressing well and being tidy at work shows employers that you take your job seriously.
Reply 3
Confused_Jim

I have never seen the point of "looking good for myself", I don't feel better having spent ages matching the colour of my shirt with my shoes and styling my hair as I cannot see these things, they cannot have any effect on my confidence. The only reason I see to care about appearance is to impress others, be it a potential employer or a girl/guy you like, or because you are insecure and need people saying you look good on a daily basis. Am I completely mad just being happy being me as I fall out of the shower? Can anyone explain the benefits they feel from looking good? I'm not talking about not taking daily showers, growing an endless beard or not ironing clothes and the like - I'm not a scruffy person I just don't see the point in doing things for any reason other than physical comfort.

I too once think like this. Well i think if you did dress well and as an example as you said, dressed with matching everything, it actually shows your effort and you are not just some dull future employee that they are going to take. Also, it will give them a good impression that you are willing to put a good image for the company. Moreover, it shows that you are a neat person and can put a good example to other employees which can be beneficial to the company thus increasing your chances of them hiring you.

hope it helps :smile:
Reply 4
So is that three admissions that the only reason to "dress up" is to impress others? Where does the idea that you feel better/more confident come from... It's really not "natural therefore to want to look your best" - I'd rather look natural, as in as I am.

I'm not doubting that to get a job I'll have to look good, I just don't like it. I'm a computer person so will work behind the scenes without meeting clients so company image isn't going to be a factor at all once employed. At the end of the day aren't dull employees are less likely to move on leaving a hole in the department? (maybe that's going a bit too far, but seems no less provable than someone with a matching tie being a better worker!)
I think it's supposed to show that you're taking the interview seriously, especially in cases like you Confused_Jim where you won't actually be meeting clients. It's showing that you really want the job and you've made an effort, rather than just bowled in off the street lol.

But I do agree with you, I mean fair enough if you're expected to be well turned out every day, but to sit in the back office it does seem a bit silly lol.
Reply 6
Because not looking like ive been dragged through a hedge backwards makes me feel like im displaying my best assets!
Going out looking good regardless of the occasion builds personal confidence and self esteem.
Reply 8
There is a big difference between "dragged through a hedge backwards" and not dressing up that seems to be getting lost somewhere between me and my keyboard...

My point is that I don't need to try to look good to have confidence and self esteem. I'm great and I know it! (as is everyone, I'm not being big headed). I'm trying to understand how people can really think of themselves in respect of their appearance. Imagine you have a fire in your house while you're in the shower and you loose all your clothes etc - tomorrow you will feel less confident in yourself, just because your hair isn't perfect and you're in borrowed clothes?

I'll be honest and say that anyone who regularly over-dresses becomes less attractive to me in a relationship sense, because I see it as a sign of insecurity and dullness that the person has nothing better to do than plan what to wear. Am I really alone thinking this way?
I'm pretty sure the idea is to simply have good personal hygiene, dress appropriately in clean, not too extravagant clothes, have an appropriate haircut and shave (where appropriate).

I don't think you're supposed to go to great length to dazzle employer's with your physical appearance or dress sense...

Confused_Jim
...taking daily showers, growing an endless beard or not ironing clothes and the like...

Just take care of the basics, other than that, substance is more important.
Reply 10
Confused_Jim
This is a strange question, and I'm not sure if it's in the right place so I'm expecting it to be moved (a good intro to a new forum )

Looking at the world of employment I see much mention of image being important, especially for interviews. Those who look good and dress well are assumed to be more likely to take care with their work, which I feel is rediculous. (e.g surely they are more likely to get distracted to remove a loose hair from their shirt when they should be working?) Reading around for advice on what to wear/not wear to interviews or just in general there are many mentions of "being more confident knowing you're dressed well" and the like, surely I'm not the only one who doesn't get it?

I look forward to an interesting discussion, I'm sure I'm missing something very important in my life

I find I'm the opposite in some ways. I have days where I absolutely do not care what I wear, but I most often try to wear something that flatters me.

But if I don't go out of the house having washed, cleaned and looked in the mirror to sort out my hair, then I will sooner or later walk past a reflective object, think to myself how awful I look and then have poor confidence for the rest of the day because I'm thinking that everyone else is not thinking that I look presentable.
Reply 11
I think it just happens that I'm in a circle of friends and acquaintances that takes particular care when it comes to appearance. Hair grooming is absolutely vital and I'd never leave my house without having my hair curled, styled and pinned. Perfection is essential for me, and people often comment upon my hair-do as I treat it as a work of art. You see, most people are not bothered to curl their hair every day. I suppose that I enjoy being instantly recognisable. I'm not hurting anyone by being like that. And when it comes to clothes; I prefer having shirts, waistcoats and trousers ironed as I've been raised this way. Same goes for polishing my shoes before leaving the house.
I've had a representative job at a company and was expected to look my best when meeting them 'important' people. I'm telling you; appearance matters a lot but you have to have an equal aura of warmth surrounding you. You're not a walking mannequin from a fashion catalogue. The truth is that you're taken a lot more seriously when you come across as refined and this is particularly true when it comes to sorting out documents/bank/insurance/interviews etc. And I enjoy it too so it's a win-win situation for me.
Reply 12
When you're meeting people you need to impress it's very important. Most people judge initially on appearance.
Reply 13
What I'm still getting from everyone is that no-one dresses up for themself it's all to impress or be taken more seriously. Considering banks etc now have to listen to what the computer tells them rather than actually having a choice "dressing up" is pointless for all but special occaisions. I really shouldn't have mentioned interviews in my first post as this has skewed the path of discussion - interviews you need to dress up, no question, but generally I still don't see the attraction.

SixthFormer08 is the only one who seems to agree with me - could you try and explain your thinking to all these insecure people? Clean and tidy + personality should be enough for day to day life...
Reply 14
i know what you mean, i telf the same when i moved to uk. everyone looked so good, well- dresssed . like everyday is their last day, and by looking at some girls i was thinking.. god haven't they got anything more interesting to do then planning what to wear tomorrow? it's good to feel comfortable with yourself, but no to become oversensitive what you wear. , even when you have a bad day and you wear just a hoody.

Latest

Trending

Trending