The Student Room Group

Capacitor question?

Hi can anyone please help me with this question i have

suppose a capacior is chaged to 20micro coloumbs and you measure the charge across it using a coloumbmeter, what would the coloumbmeter say???
Becuse as you kno the capacitor is made from 2 plates ( as shown in link ) and will have a charge of +20mC on one and -20mC on the other........so will the coulombmeter tell u diff between the charged plates (ie 40mC) or 20mC or 0 C since overal charge of a capacitor is always 0 C ?

Thanks

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/imgele/cape.gif
Reply 1
sumitk87
Hi can anyone please help me with this question i have

suppose a capacior is chaged to 20micro coloumbs and you measure the charge across it using a coloumbmeter, what would the coloumbmeter say???
Becuse as you kno the capacitor is made from 2 plates ( as shown in link ) and will have a charge of +20mC on one and -20mC on the other........so will the coulombmeter tell u diff between the charged plates (ie 40mC) or 20mC or 0 C since overal charge of a capacitor is always 0 C ?

Thanks

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/imgele/cape.gif

No,No it will say 20uC the total charge on a capacitor is always zero,as you see it's -20uC on a plate and +20uC on the other,so it's like the displaced charges are 20uC ,the colcoumb meter doesn't measure the total charge if that was the case then it will always indicate zero but it measures the displaced charges..the put +20uC and -20uC just to show that the total charge on a capacitor is zero
Reply 2
habosh
No,No it will say 20uC the total charge on a capacitor is always zero,as you see it's -20uC on a plate and +20uC on the other,so it's like the displaced charges are 20uC ,the colcoumb meter doesn't measure the total charge if that was the case then it will always indicate zero but it measures the displaced charges..the put +20uC and -20uC just to show that the total charge on a capacitor is zero

ok, thanks

Latest