The Student Room Group

Mechanics M2 - Circular Motion

Struggling on this problem:

A particle of mass m, is attached to one end of a light, inextensible string of length l. The other end of the string is fixed at P. The particle moves in a horizontal circle of radius r at a constant speed v. (In the diagram, the particle is basically following the path of the circular base of a cone, and the point P is the tip of the cone.)

Show that the tension in the string, T, is given by T=mgll2r2 T= \dfrac{mgl}{\sqrt{l^2 - r^2}} .

What I did do was:

Let the angle between the vertical and string be a.
Equating vertical components: Tcos(a)=mg Tcos(a)=mg
Equating horizontal componets with centripetal force Tsin(a)=mv2r Tsin(a)=\dfrac{mv^2}{r}

As r=lsin(a) r=lsin(a) then Tsin(a)=mv2lsin(a) Tsin(a)=\dfrac{mv^2}{lsin(a)}

Then in order to eliminate the sine's and cosine's:

sin2(a)=mv2Tl sin^2(a)=\dfrac{mv^2}{Tl} so cos2(a)=1mv2Tl cos^2(a)=1 - \dfrac{mv^2}{Tl} from resolving vertical components cos2(a)=(mgT)2 cos^2(a)=(\dfrac{mg}{T})^2 .

Therefore (mgT)2=1mv2Tl (\dfrac{mg}{T})^2 = 1 - \dfrac{mv^2}{Tl}

But rearranging this to find T doesn't seem to work out, am I heading along the right tracks? Cheers in advance
Reply 1
Original post by marcus2001
What I did do was:

Let the angle between the vertical and string be a.
Equating vertical components: Tcos(a)=mg Tcos(a)=mg

Can't see anything wrong with your working but you have over-complicated your approach. Surprisingly, the bit of your working quoted above is pretty much all you need as you can get an expression for cos(a) with a bit of Pythagoras and trigonometry and it works out quite quickly.

You went to a lot of trouble to eliminate the angle but this was in fact something that you knew plenty about in terms of r and l.

Quick Reply

Latest