The Student Room Group

Is getting a BSc degree in Chemistry worth it? what are the job chances and salary?

I like chemistry and i want to do chemistry at uni, but it is a big decision for me. i admit, one should do what he/she likes for a degree, but you can't just Not consider the career prospects they might bring. Salary and Job chances are very important to me. So i wanna know, Does having a BSc degree in chemistry allow you to have good career opportunities and salary as much as other maths/science degrees such as engineering, pharmacy, etc...
i dont want to be earing just average, i wanna be earning above average, i believe im not being greedy here, i believe i am just being goal orientated.
Reply 1
Original post by windo
I like chemistry and i want to do chemistry at uni, but it is a big decision for me. i admit, one should do what he/she likes for a degree, but you can't just Not consider the career prospects they might bring. Salary and Job chances are very important to me. So i wanna know, Does having a BSc degree in chemistry allow you to have good career opportunities and salary as much as other maths/science degrees such as engineering, pharmacy, etc...
i dont want to be earing just average, i wanna be earning above average, i believe im not being greedy here, i believe i am just being goal orientated.

Depends on many, many, many factors.
- What your grades are.
- What uni your degree is from.
- What class degree did you get.
- What are you like as a person.
- Luck of the draw.

The prospect spectrum is very wide. You can end up working as a sales assistant for 11k or as a chemical engineer for 30k. Depends on the factors above. It's also more to do with the current economical climate rather than the fact that you have a degree. It's really hard to predict.

Never the less, the average chemistry graduate salary last year was 19,948. The average salary for a chemical engineer was 29,151. Just to give you an idea. But I really wouldn't count on it.
Reply 2
If you get a good degree, and present yourself well then the job prospects are up there with pretty much anything. It's not an easy subject to do well in though, so you need to be confident you'll be able to set yourself apart from the rest of the people on the course. But if you can do well, then there's a lot of doors available!

Also it may be worth considering looking at 4 year MChem courses with placements. It's a year's paid placement with a company (I'm currently working for one of the large petrochemicals), and amazing experience to stick on your CV when you graduate. A great way to get your foot on the job ladder once you graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending