The Student Room Group

Feel like I made the wrong decision... :(

So I just got a place to study biomed at one of the top ten universities, however, I have heard a lot of people bash the degree saying that there are no career prospects, low pay, hard to find a job etc

So now I’m thinking should I have gone and done optom instead?

I’m confused on what to do....
I like bio and maths btw

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_786
So I just got a place to study biomed at one of the top ten universities, however, I have heard a lot of people bash the degree saying that there are no career prospects, low pay, hard to find a job etc

I like bio and maths btw

What interests you more? People who bash the degree tend to be the ones who expect to land a job straight after with no further study or haven't worked out what they want to do.
Original post by alleycat393
What interests you more? People who bash the degree tend to be the ones who expect to land a job straight after with no further study or haven't worked out what they want to do.

Ermmmm bio interests me more but I love numbers and solving equations etc....
Yh ur probably right there, I would ideally hope to land a job as soon as I graduate, I wouldn’t mind studying a year extra whilst working either
Original post by A_786
Ermmmm bio interests me more but I love numbers and solving equations etc....
Yh ur probably right there, I would ideally hope to land a job as soon as I graduate, I wouldn’t mind studying a year extra whilst working either

If you want to stay in science you will need a masters if not a Phd which is a significant commitment. If you’re ok with branching out of the field then you’ll be fine.

You wouldn’t only be working with equations in optometry anyway. It’s patient focused.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A_786

I like bio and maths btw

This might seem a very cliche statement but I believe there is always a scope in everything.If you do what you are doing with full interest and do whatever is required to be expert in the field, no one can stop you from succeeding. If still you think you don't wanna do it then make sure to give your 100% in that field you choose, you will be successful for sure.Lets prove them!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by A_786

I like bio and maths btw

In terms of progression, it is minimal with biomed, but pay is hardly low and jobs are certainly not hard to find - the NHS are screaming for them and big pharma companies love snapping up people with biomed degrees.

It all hinges on whether or not you do a placement year as part of your degree, because then you can complete your IBMS portfolio making you fully qualified upon graduation. It’s harder to get a job as a biomed if you don’t do a placement because labs want fully qualified staff. Even though there is a shortage - ridiculous, I know.
Original post by Aqsak
This might seem a very cliche statement but I believe there is always a scope in everything.If you do what you are doing with full interest and do whatever is required to be expert in the field, no one can stop you from succeeding. If still you think you don't wanna do it then make sure to give your 100% in that field you choose, you will be successful for sure.Lets prove them!!

Yep that true... thanks for ur advice 👍👍👍
Original post by Purmerend
In terms of progression, it is minimal with biomed, but pay is hardly low and jobs are certainly not hard to find - the NHS are screaming for them and big pharma companies love snapping up people with biomed degrees.

It all hinges on whether or not you do a placement year as part of your degree, because then you can complete your IBMS portfolio making you fully qualified upon graduation. It’s harder to get a job as a biomed if you don’t do a placement because labs want fully qualified staff. Even though there is a shortage - ridiculous, I know.

Yh I think the only issue with that is that I’m studying at warwick university which I so stupidly realised after accepting the course that it is not IBMS accredited so if I wanted to qualify I would have to do top up modules.

But tbh I wouldn’t mind working at a bank in finance/accounting sector or in a lab, I’m happy to do anything :smile:
Original post by A_786
Yh I think the only issue with that is that I’m studying at warwick university which I so stupidly realised after accepting the course that it is not IBMS accredited so if I wanted to qualify I would have to do top up modules.

But tbh I wouldn’t mind working at a bank in finance/accounting sector or in a lab, I’m happy to do anything :smile:

You may already know this but FYI the accreditation is only needed if you plan to work in an NHS lab.
You may already know this but FYI the accreditation is only needed if you plan to work in an NHS lab.

Oh I thought u need it to become a qualified biomedical scientist. So does that mean I can work within other companies (other than NHS) as a biomedical scientist?
Original post by A_786
Oh I thought u need it to become a qualified biomedical scientist. So does that mean I can work within other companies (other than NHS) as a biomedical scientist?

Yup :smile:
Yup :smile:

Oh ok thanks 👍 how do u know so much about biomed if u don’t mind me asking ? Have u taken the degree???
Original post by A_786
Oh ok thanks 👍 how do u know so much about biomed if u don’t mind me asking ? Have u taken the degree???

My education profile is in my signature. I’ve worked in both academia and pharma and have taught on biomed and related degrees.
My education profile is in my signature. I’ve worked in both academia and pharma and have taught on biomed and related degrees.

Oh ok, so do u mind if I ask one more question... from all the degrees you have taught which would u say gives the best career prospect and graduate job prospect etc ?? Which would u say is the most useful degree?
Original post by A_786
Oh ok, so do u mind if I ask one more question... from all the degrees you have taught which would u say gives the best career prospect and graduate job prospect etc ?? Which would u say is the most useful degree?

They’re all similar. Go with what interests you the most. Only you make yourself employable. A degree will not magically land you a job.
Original post by Purmerend

'In terms of progression, it is minimal with biomed'. What do you mean by this? Do you mean in terms of progressing in the science field?
Original post by mansnothot
'In terms of progression, it is minimal with biomed'. What do you mean by this? Do you mean in terms of progressing in the science field?

In an NHS lab, you can only really progress professionally once, maybe twice in some trusts.

In big pharma, you’re in a similar boat. So opportunities to increase earnings are low, but again you aren’t exactly starting on a low salary anyway.

I’m not sure about working in the private sector as a biomed but I imagine it’s fairly the same.

In the science field is a broad term because biomeds tend to do very well in academia and research posts.
I meant academic degrees. Vocational ones like medicine vet med etc lead to specific careers :smile:
I was looking at biomedical scientist jobs outside the NHS and they all wanted one with IBMS and HCPC qualified biomedical scientist... so can you tell me which companies exactly do not require one because it seems they all do ?
(edited 5 years ago)

Original post by A_786
I was looking at biomedical scientist jobs outside the NHS and they all wanted one with IBMS and HCPC qualified biomedical scientist... so can you tell me which companies exactly do not require one because it seems they all do ?

And also do u know how long it would take to become ibms qualified from a non IBMS accredited degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending