The Student Room Group

Feeling depressed about my future and clearing...

Researching about clearing but I've basically gone nowhere... every degree has grade requirements that are really high, i check the salary of graduates and it's always something like 'starts at 20k, can work up to 33k in 10 years' for degrees requiring minimum ABB?? Like you've studied hard in your A-Levels, gone to uni for 3+ years just for a salary that you can barely live off for yourself. Many degrees are super competitive to get into, super competitive to find jobs later, and you may even have to travel long distances or move away. It sounds so nightmareish... and I feel completely lost with how irrelevant my a-level choices (Bio, Maths, Chem) are to degrees that are non-medical. Would they even value my subjects that high?

Scroll to see replies

Taking Maths give you the widest choice. Things like Economics and Computer Science are open not just medical subjects. Many courses dont have specific subjects requirements such as Law. There is a whole range of options open to you. Do you research fully. Even within medical fields there are options like Pharmacy and Genetics.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Taking Maths give you the widest choice. Things like Economics and Computer Science are open not just medical subjects. Many courses dont have specific subjects requirements such as Law. There is a whole range of options open to you. Do you research fully. Even within medical fields there are options like Pharmacy and Genetics.

I'm aware that many don't state that specific subjects are required, but my careers advisor in school said that many unis for degrees outside of medical ones will be seeing my combination of subjects (and my personal statement) and will assume that I don't have much interest in their course, and will value other students for clearing over me because of it. For pharmacy, I've heard that as a job it's also extremely competitive (same with computer science) and that it is extremely tedious as a job, with many not being able to get jobs within their first year of graduating.
Original post by lunar.xe
Researching about clearing but I've basically gone nowhere... every degree has grade requirements that are really high, i check the salary of graduates and it's always something like 'starts at 20k, can work up to 33k in 10 years' for degrees requiring minimum ABB?? Like you've studied hard in your A-Levels, gone to uni for 3+ years just for a salary that you can barely live off for yourself. Many degrees are super competitive to get into, super competitive to find jobs later, and you may even have to travel long distances or move away. It sounds so nightmareish... and I feel completely lost with how irrelevant my a-level choices (Bio, Maths, Chem) are to degrees that are non-medical. Would they even value my subjects that high?

IMO those salary averages are not very useful. What actually matters is what kind of jobs you are interested in and whether you have developed the skills to pass the interviews/assessments required for these roles - and no degree programme teaches you this effectively.

E.g. if you are a chemistry student but you have an interest in software engineering as a side hobby and want to get into that as a career (plus the relevant internships), the average salary of a chemistry graduate is of little use.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
IMO those salary averages are not very useful. What actually matters is what kind of jobs you are interested in and whether you have developed the skills to pass the interviews/assessments required for these roles - and no degree programme teaches you this effectively.

E.g. if you are a chemistry student but you have an interest in software engineering as a side hobby and want to get into that as a career (plus the relevant internships), the average salary of a chemistry graduate is of little use.

I'll try researching potential careers, although my problem is I'm incredibly lost on this too. Still, at least I can start somewhere. Thank you!
I'll try researching potential careers, although my problem is I'm incredibly lost on this too. Still, at least I can start somewhere. Thank you!

Yeah, I appreciate it can be hard to dissociate a degree subject from a career/job when you've no idea what it is you want to do. Just try not to get too sucked into the whole average salary X years after graduating data, especially when the time comes and you begin to shortlist courses:smile:
I'm aware that many don't state that specific subjects are required, but my careers advisor in school said that many unis for degrees outside of medical ones will be seeing my combination of subjects (and my personal statement) and will assume that I don't have much interest in their course, and will value other students for clearing over me because of it.

Very weird advice. Which country are you in? It doesn't sound like something a teacher in the UK would say - or anyone who knows much about university applications. Which courses are you interested in for university?
I'm aware that many don't state that specific subjects are required, but my careers advisor in school said that many unis for degrees outside of medical ones will be seeing my combination of subjects (and my personal statement) and will assume that I don't have much interest in their course, and will value other students for clearing over me because of it. For pharmacy, I've heard that as a job it's also extremely competitive (same with computer science) and that it is extremely tedious as a job, with many not being able to get jobs within their first year of graduating.

Your careers adviser is not doing his job very well, Universities rarely look at personal statement in clearing and if they do you can provide a new one. Just because somebody takes your combination doesnt mean they all end up taking medicine. As people go through A levels their thoughts change You could have become more interested in a Maths type career. For a careers adviser to make such a statement is absurd.

People applying for Medicine have a 5th choice and it can be anything. Chem Eng for example. Universities are aware of that even if your incompetent adviser isnt.

There are a host of careers in the Medical field. Swansea University as an example offer Genetics, Applied Medical Sciences, Pharmacology and things like Cardiac Physiology. Bristol offer a course in cancer immunology. You need to look at what is out there besides Medicine. You have loads of options.
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Very weird advice. Which country are you in? It doesn't sound like something a teacher in the UK would say - or anyone who knows much about university applications. Which courses are you interested in for university?

I'm in England, actually my school/town is near London. A lot of teachers say she's harsh but realistic. I first talked to her about dentistry (my original career plan) she told me it was virtually impossible with my grades at the time (October year 12, grades ABC) and that I should go towards Law. Bawled my absolute eyes out afterwards, flopped my mock tests, got predicted low, decided I liked maths and art more than I like sciences, went to her again for advice about clearing, told me my option weren't the best for subjects that aren't medical, and I should choose subjects I can realistically get into in the first few calls and show I have an interest in because my best chance for clearing is as soon as grades drop.
I'm in England, actually my school/town is near London. A lot of teachers say she's harsh but realistic. I first talked to her about dentistry (my original career plan) she told me it was virtually impossible with my grades at the time (October year 12, grades ABC) and that I should go towards Law. Bawled my absolute eyes out afterwards, flopped my mock tests, got predicted low, decided I liked maths and art more than I like sciences, went to her again for advice about clearing, told me my option weren't the best for subjects that aren't medical, and I should choose subjects I can realistically get into in the first few calls and show I have an interest in because my best chance for clearing is as soon as grades drop.

Any reason not to take a year out to see what grades you get and think about what you would like to study?
Reply 10
Your careers adviser is not doing his job very well, Universities rarely look at personal statement in clearing and if they do you can provide a new one. Just because somebody takes your combination doesnt mean they all end up taking medicine. As people go through A levels their thoughts change You could have become more interested in a Maths type career. For a careers adviser to make such a statement is absurd.

People applying for Medicine have a 5th choice and it can be anything. Chem Eng for example. Universities are aware of that even if your incompetent adviser isnt.

There are a host of careers in the Medical field. Swansea University as an example offer Genetics, Applied Medical Sciences, Pharmacology and things like Cardiac Physiology. Bristol offer a course in cancer immunology. You need to look at what is out there besides Medicine. You have loads of options.

Yeah true! I didn't actually want medicine either. I was applying for dentistry and biomed initially actually! And that's what happened to me, not only do I enjoy maths, logical things and art, I'd say I'm half decent at them. Another problem I have is anything design or art related at all, all want portfolios. I only have my art GCSE portfolio... I'll try to keep an open mind though, thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
Any reason not to take a year out to see what grades you get and think about what you would like to study?

I'm really anxious about the whole student debt thing changing this year... I also can't financially support myself for a gap year, so unless I'm resitting it would be a bit of a waste if I'm not doing anything productive.
I'm really anxious about the whole student debt thing changing this year... I also can't financially support myself for a gap year, so unless I'm resitting it would be a bit of a waste if I'm not doing anything productive.

You should do something productive - work for a year. Have some fun and save some money. Taking the wrong course at the wrong university can be a horribly expensive choice.
Yeah true! I didn't actually want medicine either. I was applying for dentistry and biomed initially actually! And that's what happened to me, not only do I enjoy maths, logical things and art, I'd say I'm half decent at them. Another problem I have is anything design or art related at all, all want portfolios. I only have my art GCSE portfolio... I'll try to keep an open mind though, thank you!

You could do an art foundation course at a local further education college in a year. It would increase your UCAS points and give you time to put a portfolio together. That would open up design-related degrees for you (eg architecture, product design) to apply for 2023 entry.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14

What courses are viable to apply to with BBCs predicted grades?
Original post by Be_alone
What courses are viable to apply to with BBCs predicted grades?

Lots will. It wont be the very top universities though. What subjects have you taken.

I have just looked quickly at Aberystwyth. They want 120-96 points for Accountancy and Finance and 120-104 points for Biology. There will be many more subjects and other universities who accept that range.
(edited 9 months ago)
Aberystwyths requirement for Zoology

UCAS Tariff 120 - 104

A Levels BBB - BCC with B in Biology
Here is another cardiac physiology at Swansea. You are only 1 grade off it. Might make you an offer

Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)
BBB

to include Biology

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and an occupational health check required
Here is another cardiac physiology at Swansea. You are only 1 grade off it. Might make you an offer

Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)
BBB

to include Biology

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and an occupational health check required

Biomedical Sciences at Kent Your 1 grade off worth a try

Entry requirements
Typical A level offer
BBB
The University will consider applications from students offering a wide range of qualifications. Click below to find out more.
Hi there,

It may be worth noting that during clearing entry requirements can sometimes drop, as universities look to fill places on courses. Not all courses will be available and sometimes the requirements don't drop but its worth phoning around come results day as universities will not post any clearing entry requirement changes online.

On the careers topic, it depends very much what you make of it. It sounds like with the STEM subjects you are actually following a path that statistically leads to higher wages, but those kinds of things are very individualised so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

Hope this helps :smile:
Nathan

Liverpool Hope University Clearing Hotline: 0151 291 3636

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending