The Student Room Group

Question on Groups concerning matrices...

Let M denote the set of real 2x2 matrices of the form (xyyx)\begin{pmatrix} x & y \\ -y & x \end{pmatrix} where x and y are not both zero,

M= {(xyyx):x2+y20}.\{\begin{pmatrix} x & y \\ -y & x \end{pmatrix}: x^2 + y^2 \not= 0\}.
Show that M is a group under matrix multiplication. (you may assume that matrix multiplication is associative)

I am just confused about something, I am trying to figure if for example this is multiplication of the form:

(abba)(cddc)\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ -b & a \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} c & d \\ -d & c \end{pmatrix}

or if the operation has to be of the form

(abba)(abba)\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ -b & a \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ -b & a \end{pmatrix},

---------------------------

nevermind, i messed up on something really simple... :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It's safe to assume that GG is a group since the question asks you to show that it is, it doesn't ask whether or not it is.

If your example of (2112)(3223)\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 3 & 2 \\ -2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} didn't work then you must have multiplied your matrices wrong.

The closure property is this: if A,BGA, B \in G then ABGAB \in G.

So suppose A=(xyyx)A = \begin{pmatrix} x & y \\ -y & x \end{pmatrix} and B=(stts)B = \begin{pmatrix} s & t \\ -t & s \end{pmatrix}, with x2+y20x^2+y^2 \ne 0 and s2+t20s^2+t^2 \ne 0. Show that ABAB can be written in the form (pqqp)\begin{pmatrix} p & q \\ -q & p \end{pmatrix} and that p2+q20p^2+q^2 \ne 0 (where p,qp,q are in terms of x,y,s,tx,y,s,t).

P.S.: To fix your LaTeX code, take the { symbols off the start of each of the lines.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
It's safe to assume that GG is a group since the question asks you to show that it is, it doesn't ask whether or not it is.

If your example of (2112)(3223)\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 3 & 2 \\ -2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} didn't work then you must have multiplied your matrices wrong.

The closure property is this: if A,BGA, B \in G then ABGAB \in G.

So suppose A=(xyyx)A = \begin{pmatrix} x & y \\ -y & x \end{pmatrix} and B=(stts)B = \begin{pmatrix} s & t \\ -t & s \end{pmatrix}, with x2+y20x^2+y^2 \ne 0 and s2+t20s^2+t^2 \ne 0. Show that ABAB can be written in the form (pqqp)\begin{pmatrix} p & q \\ -q & p \end{pmatrix} and that p2+q20p^2+q^2 \ne 0 (where p,qp,q are in terms of x,y,s,tx,y,s,t).

P.S.: To fix your LaTeX code, take the { symbols off the start of each of the lines.

Ah thanks, coding fixed now :smile:
I actually worked out 2x3 + (1x-2) as being 9 for some reason in my counterexample which is why it confused me :s but my counterexample actually does conform to the group rules :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest