The Student Room Group

Computer Graphics Previous Year Question asked in UGC NET 2021

What is the transformation matrix M that transforms a square in the x-y plane defined by (1, 1) (-1, 1), (-1, -1), (1, -1) to a parallelogram whose corresponding vertices are (2, 1) (0,1) (-2, -1) and (0, -1) ? Following are options below. This is not a homework question.

A. 1 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

B. 1 0 0
1 1 0
0 0 1

C. 1 1 1
0 1 0
0 0 1

D. 1 1 0
1 1 0
0 0 1

I can easily find transformation matrix in 2X2 but how 3X3 ? I got confused between Option A and C. How third row and column is added ?
Reply 1
When dealing in just 2D your Z components are all zero and consequently you just need a matrix that keeps them to zero. Does that help?
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
When dealing in just 2D your Z components are all zero and consequently you just need a matrix that keeps them to zero. Does that help?

I did as you said in this solution but got stuck Please see this solution image shared on drive. I could not write matrices here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yk3DitpxrftGl4m2kn3y09RMGijT6Xgg/view?usp=drive_link
Reply 3
Well, this is probably not the official way of doing this but I used a bit of strategic multiplying with various components and very quickly found a=b, g=h, a=b=1, g=h=0, d=0 and e=1. I can't see why i can't be 0 or indeed anything you like side it only ever multiplies zero in the transformation.
In you answer you have done uM=v. This is wrong, you need to do Mu=v where u and v are the object and image vectors (or matrices if you do all four vectors at once).
So A will work, but the bottom RH element does not need to be one (in my opinion)
Reply 4
Original post by nerak99
Well, this is probably not the official way of doing this but I used a bit of strategic multiplying with various components and very quickly found a=b, g=h, a=b=1, g=h=0, d=0 and e=1. I can't see why i can't be 0 or indeed anything you like side it only ever multiplies zero in the transformation.
In you answer you have done uM=v. This is wrong, you need to do Mu=v where u and v are the object and image vectors (or matrices if you do all four vectors at once).
So A will work, but the bottom RH element does not need to be one (in my opinion)

I studied about Homogeneous Coordinates and then it was easy to understand and solve this. Thanks for getting involved in the discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending