The Student Room Group

Audition Monologues for College help!

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows any 2 good contrasting monologues that I can do for my audition to get into College this year? (each monologue no longer than 1 minute).

and another thing they ask me to bring along with me is:
"A short critique of either a play or film you have recently seen or read. This should be no longer than 250 words."
^ I'm just wondering if they're asking me that I have to write a short essay about a play or a film that I have recently seen or read? If so, could someone tell me what play I should write about?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I'm not an expert on monologues, but I'd definitely go for one Shakespeare and one Post 1900.

For the 'critique' thing, I'm assuming it means a short review about something you have recently seen or a PLAY you have recently read - not a book. You have to decided what you're going to review yourself as I have no idea what you've seen recently. Go for either something you really enjoyed, or something you really disliked.
Reply 2
Original post by Caitykinss
I'm not an expert on monologues, but I'd definitely go for one Shakespeare and one Post 1900.

For the 'critique' thing, I'm assuming it means a short review about something you have recently seen or a PLAY you have recently read - not a book. You have to decided what you're going to review yourself as I have no idea what you've seen recently. Go for either something you really enjoyed, or something you really disliked.

I was planning on doing Shakespeare at first but I thought the language would be too hard for me to portray, but I might try to see how it goes thanks.
One Post 1900? Hmm...never heard of that one before. Could you possibly explain to me what it's about and its language?

Can it be about anything? I'm not sure what they're looking for to be honest. >.>

Thanks very much for replying btw. Really appreciate it (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I meant the time period 'post 1900' basically meaning a modern play! :P

I think if you want to do acting, Shakespeare is something you're going to have to learn anyway and they'll respect an interest in it. If you're worried about the language, try this website (http://nfs.sparknotes.com/) which gives you a modern version so you can understand what you're meant to be saying!

And as for your 'critique' thing, I assume it can be about any play or film you want. Choose one that you've seen recently so it's fresh in your mind and therefore easier to write about. 250 words is absolutely nothing - about 1/3 of an A4 sheet of paper.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks very much again! This really helps a whole lot and my audition is in 21st June so I have plenty of time to prepare. (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending