The Student Room Group

National Youth Theatre Casting Audition

Hello 🙂 I completed the Epic Stages programme in the summer and absolutely loved it, but I'm a bit nervous for my upcoming casting audition. Would anyone who's done one before have any advice for the day following your past experiences? I was particularly wondering if choosing a classical monologue is a good idea? I did one for my intake audition as I heard classical pieces were often received well by the panelists, but I'm not so sure about the casting auditions.
Hey, not sure if you’ve already done the audition yet but I’ve literally just done mine. Honestly don’t be nervous and don’t overthink it. You’ve already gotten into nyt, this audition isn’t about being judged on whether or not you’re good or not, they already know you are and that’s why they accepted you. As for monologues, it honestly doesn’t matter, as long as you choose one that you feel best represents you as an actor and is one that you enjoy. If that happens to be a classical then do that, but if it doesn’t then that’s fine too. Try not to choose one that you think would “look good” and choose the one that you love doing.
Again though, I know it’s easier said then done but try not to overthink these particular auditions, they’re literally just about seeing what kind of actor you are in order for them to know what kind of projects you’d be best suited for.
Original post by Sailormoomin
Hey, not sure if you’ve already done the audition yet but I’ve literally just done mine. Honestly don’t be nervous and don’t overthink it. You’ve already gotten into nyt, this audition isn’t about being judged on whether or not you’re good or not, they already know you are and that’s why they accepted you. As for monologues, it honestly doesn’t matter, as long as you choose one that you feel best represents you as an actor and is one that you enjoy. If that happens to be a classical then do that, but if it doesn’t then that’s fine too. Try not to choose one that you think would “look good” and choose the one that you love doing.
Again though, I know it’s easier said then done but try not to overthink these particular auditions, they’re literally just about seeing what kind of actor you are in order for them to know what kind of projects you’d be best suited for.

Thank you so much for your advice 🙂 I really appreciate it.
Original post by StudyingActing
Hello 🙂 I completed the Epic Stages programme in the summer and absolutely loved it, but I'm a bit nervous for my upcoming casting audition. Would anyone who's done one before have any advice for the day following your past experiences? I was particularly wondering if choosing a classical monologue is a good idea? I did one for my intake audition as I heard classical pieces were often received well by the panelists, but I'm not so sure about the casting auditions.

Heyy don't know if you've already done the audtion and if so sorry this is late and I hope it went well! I auditioned and got in last year, tbh my first monologue I loved and my recall audition was a modern one from their book. In my audition they worked with me to see the different ways I could change and adapt the piece I'd performed and how quickly I could respond to a different way of practice and performance. They want u to do something that u are confident to change and adapt and that u understand so if that works with a classical monologue then go for it! Main thing is not to overthink of it (tbh I learnt my recall monologue 2 days before the 2nd audition cause I was so adamant I hadn't got in and then couldn't decide what to learn and I DONT recommend doing that but other than that you'll be great 😂) you've got this!!
Original post by Charlottek05
Heyy don't know if you've already done the audtion and if so sorry this is late and I hope it went well! I auditioned and got in last year, tbh my first monologue I loved and my recall audition was a modern one from their book. In my audition they worked with me to see the different ways I could change and adapt the piece I'd performed and how quickly I could respond to a different way of practice and performance. They want u to do something that u are confident to change and adapt and that u understand so if that works with a classical monologue then go for it! Main thing is not to overthink of it (tbh I learnt my recall monologue 2 days before the 2nd audition cause I was so adamant I hadn't got in and then couldn't decide what to learn and I DONT recommend doing that but other than that you'll be great 😂) you've got this!!

Thank you so much! 🙂
Hi! I hope your audition went well. I’m just wondering as I’m doing NYT this summer (got in last year but had to defer) what is a casting audition? Is it to sign with an agent or to be in national theatre shows?
Original post by anongirl00
Hi! I hope your audition went well. I’m just wondering as I’m doing NYT this summer (got in last year but had to defer) what is a casting audition? Is it to sign with an agent or to be in national theatre shows?

NYT shows. Though not many people get cast in them. They have 1000s of members and only a few opportunies in conparison. It tends to be the same few people that they recast and work with over and over.

Sorry I missed this message! Congratulations on getting in 🙂 I had a fantastic experience last summer and so I'm sure you will have so much fun this year! The casting auditions happen each year over a selection of dates and it's just a chance for NYT members to attend a movement/voice/skills workshop and private audition with a panel (of one panelist) to showcase their acting ability/other skills you may have to be cast in NYT opportunities. There are various opportunities they may need people for, so it may not necessarily be a play for example.

The audition consists of a group workshop playing movement and voice games, and then you have a 'skill-share' session, where all members show a skill that they may have. It can be absolutely anything, from singing or rapping to dance or spoken word! I was really nervous for this, but I would honestly say it was so fun in the audition. Everyone was so supportive and there were such a range of devised pieces you couldn't compare one. Just have fun with it and best of luck 🙂
Original post by blackcatmeow
NYT shows. Though not many people get cast in them. They have 1000s of members and only a few opportunies in conparison. It tends to be the same few people that they recast and work with over and over.

Ah I see. Seems quite unfair that they recast the same people repeatedly though 😕 I hope the rep company is more diverse in their choice
Original post by StudyingActing
Sorry I missed this message! Congratulations on getting in 🙂 I had a fantastic experience last summer and so I'm sure you will have so much fun this year! The casting auditions happen each year over a selection of dates and it's just a chance for NYT members to attend a movement/voice/skills workshop and private audition with a panel (of one panelist) to showcase their acting ability/other skills you may have to be cast in NYT opportunities. There are various opportunities they may need people for, so it may not necessarily be a play for example.
The audition consists of a group workshop playing movement and voice games, and then you have a 'skill-share' session, where all members show a skill that they may have. It can be absolutely anything, from singing or rapping to dance or spoken word! I was really nervous for this, but I would honestly say it was so fun in the audition. Everyone was so supportive and there were such a range of devised pieces you couldn't compare one. Just have fun with it and best of luck 🙂

Thank you so much for your reply and detailed response. It seems like the same set up as in person auditions! Sounds fun 🙂 best of luck in your acting journey
Thank you so much for your reply and detailed response. It seems like the same set up as in person auditions! Sounds fun 🙂 best of luck in your acting journey

No problem! Thanks so much 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending