The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
gildartz
once you see those rejection letters, you'll know who took your place :wink:
I'm pretty interested in the universe as well, particularly the unknowns of the universe, i.e. dark energy, dark matter, the existence of a multiverse, etc. I guess it's this drive to learn more about ourselves and the world around us which is why people in medicine have an interest in other parts of science. lol, 'perv on the universe'

Exactly. It's amazing stuff and I'm not going to pretend I'm not insanely interested in it just so I can say "oh yeah, medicine medicine medicine" all the way. Medicine is extremely interesting in it's own right, but there's no way I'm saying astronomy isn't brilliant! :daydream:
And yes, I perv on the Universe every night with my 400 quid telescope. :wink:

Spoiler

spacepirate-James
Not been on for a while... and wow.

Anyway, exams are coming up, and I have no chance so I've resided to failing everything.

One question to all you medics (think of this as interview practice): Can you really not see yourself being happy (equally or more happy than doing medicine) in any other job?

I'd be ok doing another job tbh. I just wouldn't find work quite as interesting or as fufilling perhaps. Though there would be the up side of having waaay more free time if I became say an Engineer. In some ways I think it'd be easier and perhaps better to become an Engineer. I've been having doubts recently because Medicine does basically take over your life and I might regret it in the future if I had kids or something or maybe wanted to move abroad. All this would be far easier if I was an engineer or something. It's a little late for that though.
Narik
Exactly. It's amazing stuff and I'm not going to pretend I'm not insanely interested in it just so I can say "oh yeah, medicine medicine medicine" all the way. Medicine is extremely interesting in it's own right, but there's no way I'm saying astronomy isn't brilliant! :daydream:
And yes, I perv on the Universe every night with my 400 quid telescope. :wink:

Spoiler

what species are you because a human teenager would never turn down a PS3!! It's the most amazing thing since sliced bread!
Reply 1083
gildartz
what species are you because a human teenager would never turn down a PS3!! It's the most amazing thing since sliced bread!

Well I got it like 2 years ago and I still use it pretty much without fail so I think it's money well spent. :awesome:
I'm not a fan of video games. I'd much rather do sport. :yep:
Although when I got a hold of Prince of Persia...:coma:
Narik
Well I got it like 2 years ago and I still use it pretty much without fail so I think it's money well spent. :awesome:
I'm not a fan of video games. I'd much rather do sport. :yep:
Although when I got a hold of Prince of Persia...:coma:

but....you can do sport on the PS3 as well, it only does everything after all.

Scrubby
I'd be ok doing another job tbh. I just wouldn't find work quite as interesting or as fufilling perhaps. Though there would be the up side of having waaay more free time if I became say an Engineer. In some ways I think it'd be easier and perhaps better to become an Engineer. I've been having doubts recently because Medicine does basically take over your life and I might regret it in the future if I had kids or something or maybe wanted to move abroad. All this would be far easier if I was an engineer or something. It's a little late for that though.

there are plenty of areas in medicine which can give you the free time you want, don't believe the glamour on TV shows like house or scrubs, but don't believe the myth that every doctor sleeps for 4 hours from the day they qualify to the day they retire. The FY1 I was shadowing said the working hours weren't too bad since he usually came in around 10am and left by 5pm. Doctors with families isn't exactly a rare breed you know :biggrin:
gildartz

there are plenty of areas in medicine which can give you the free time you want, don't believe the glamour on TV shows like house or scrubs, but don't believe the myth that every doctor sleeps for 4 hours from the day they qualify to the day they retire. The FY1 I was shadowing said the working hours weren't too bad since he usually came in around 10am and left by 5pm. Doctors with families isn't exactly a rare breed you know :biggrin:

Oh I know. But the foundation and registrar years are pretty full on. And they last about 8+ years during what is quite an important part of my life. But yeah, I'll get over my doubts eventually, I always do. And also the areas of Medicine with free time don't attract me atm. Hospitals and wards are of greater interest atm. And as for working abroad I'm sure there are probably ways to work abroad which I will find out at some point.
On a more medical note :p: Does anyone know how much preference UCL give to candidates with a contrasting subject?
Reply 1087
Going_To_California
On a more medical note :p: Does anyone know how much preference UCL give to candidates with a contrasting subject?

Apparently they do. I say...screw 'em. :dontknow:
Narik
Apparently they do. I say...screw 'em. :dontknow:

Aha, obviously all sciences are better :cool:
I know they give some preference, but just wondering how much - is it a lot?
I hope not, I quite like the look of UCL!
Reply 1089
Going_To_California

I like Imperial better so it really doesn't bother me. It shouldn't give anyone a massive advantage - if you get a high BMAT, good interview etc., they're hardly going to pick the piano boffin over you, who had a lower BMAT and **** interview, just because he can press a few keys. :rolleyes:
Going_To_California

na, i doubt it's a lot. It' just to show that you're a more well-rounded person with interests outside of the basic sciences, but this can be shown through loads of other ways so don't worry too much about it.
Narik
I like Imperial better so it really doesn't bother me. It shouldn't give anyone a massive advantage - if you get a high BMAT, good interview etc., they're hardly going to pick the piano boffin over you, who had a lower BMAT and **** interview, just because he can press a few keys. :rolleyes:

I like Imperial too, it's just deciding which one now!
Going_To_California
I like Imperial too, it's just deciding which one now!

just be aware that if you choose imperial, you'll be competing with me and narik and we all know who is gonna get that place :p:
gildartz
na, i doubt it's a lot. It' just to show that you're a more well-rounded person with interests outside of the basic sciences, but this can be shown through loads of other ways so don't worry too much about it.

There are interests outside of science? :eek:
I hope this is true though!
Can graduates join this thread? *sneaks in*
gildartz
just be aware that if you choose imperial, you'll be competing with me and narik and we all know who is gonna get that place :p:

Don't worry though, you and Narik can get in elsewhere :p: whilst I'm at Imperial...
Reply 1096
gildartz

Don't be so pessimstic. There's still the small chance you may get a place... :console: :p:
Reply 1097
does anyone still have any doubts about choosing medicine?
short question:biggrin:
lolz, you guys either like london very much, or are a bunch of MASSIVE prestige whores :P:

I jke :sad:
clad in armour
lolz, you guys either like london very much, or are a bunch of MASSIVE prestige whores :P:

I jke :sad:

well if I don't get into a well-known uni then my parents will force me to change my surname so as to avoid bringing shame to the family, not to mention being beaten and deported out of the country on a donkey. Ah the pressures....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending