The Student Room Group

Continuity- Epsilon Delta proofs

I'm not totally confident with epsilon delta proofs for continuity, I don't suppose someone could check my answer to this question to see if I'm heading in the right direction?

Show that f: (-1,1)----->R given by f(x)=2xx+2\frac{2x}{x+2} is continuous at x=0

Proof

consider |f(x)-f(0)|=|2xx+2\frac{2x}{x+2}|=2xx+2\frac{|x|}{|x+2|}<2deltax+2\frac{2delta}{|x+2|}

Consdier |x+2|<= |x|+2<δ\delta+2

Set δ\delta<1

then |x+2|<3

Hence by setting δ\delta=Min(1,3ϵ\epsilon/2)

|x|<δ\delta =====> |(f(x)-f(0)|<(2*3/2*ϵ\epsilon)/3= ϵ\epsilon
Reply 1
Seems fine to me, don't see any problem with it, though of course you could just use that quotients of continuous functions with non-zero denominator are continuous (presuming you're allowed to quote that)
Reply 2
Original post by Haddock3
Seems fine to me, don't see any problem with it, though of course you could just use that quotients of continuous functions with non-zero denominator are continuous (presuming you're allowed to quote that)

I missed out the first part of the question, which said using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity; but thanks for checking it over :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RMorley
I'm not totally confident with epsilon delta proofs for continuity, I don't suppose someone could check my answer to this question to see if I'm heading in the right direction?

Show that f: (-1,1)----->R given by f(x)=2xx+2\frac{2x}{x+2} is continuous at x=0

Proof

consider |f(x)-f(0)|=|2xx+2\frac{2x}{x+2}|=2xx+2\frac{|x|}{|x+2|}<2deltax+2\frac{2delta}{|x+2|}As written, this makes no sense. You have yet to specify what δ\delta is.

Consdier |x+2|<= |x|+2<δ\delta+2

Set δ\delta<1

then |x+2|<3

Hence by setting δ\delta=Min(1,3ϵ\epsilon/2)
Looks like you've got an inequality round the wrong way here. if |x+2| < 3, then 1x+2>1/3\frac{1}{|x+2|} > 1/3, (not < 1/3).

You would do better to observe at this point that |x+2| > 1.
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
As written, this makes no sense. You have yet to specify what δ\delta is.

Looks like you've got an inequality round the wrong way here. if |x+2| < 3, then 1x+2>1/3\frac{1}{|x+2|} > 1/3, (not < 1/3).

ah ok so as |x+2|>1 in the domain that means that 1/|x+2| <1

so|f(x)-f(0)|<2δ\delta where I'm considering delta st |x|<δ\delta where δ\delta>0

so if I set δ\delta=ϵ\epsilon/2

|x|<δ\delta =====>|f(x)-f(0)|<2ϵ\epsilon/2=ϵ\epsilon ?
Reply 5
As written, this makes no sense. You have yet to specify what δ\delta is.

Well yeah, but you take as read surely that the delta is the standard one in the epsilon delta proof, ie |x-x0|<delta. Admittedly better to say that but it doesn't ruin the gist of the proof.

Quite right, I need to pay more attention. :s-smilie: Sorry OP, listen to him, not me, I'm out of it today.
Reply 6
Original post by Haddock3
Well yeah, but you take as read surely that the delta is the standard one in the epsilon delta proof, ie |x-x0|<delta.Yeah, if I was examining, it wouldn't be hard to work out what was meant. But I shouldn't have to work that out. And sometimes people do use other letters, or swap epsilon and delta.

For a question like this, I would expect the first line of the proof to go something like:

"Take epsilon > 0. Suppose also delta > 0, and |x-x0| < delta. Then..."

Admittedly better to say that but it doesn't ruin the gist of the proof.
No, but to be honest, if I was examining I would take marks off for it.

Quick Reply

Latest