The Student Room Group

Gel Pen in SQA exam

I accidentally used gel pen in my exam and i didnt realise till after it😭 actually so scared bc it just said use black or blue ink and i used black ink. Other sources have said that if the ink is dark it should be fine or that if its gel they flag it and mark the physical paper but that was all for gcse and im wondering if its the same for nat5s? Will it melt when it gets scanned or is that just friction pens?
Reply 1
U should be fine, as long as its a friction pen itll probably scan properly
Reply 2
Original post by ofc.isl4
I accidentally used gel pen in my exam and i didnt realise till after it😭 actually so scared bc it just said use black or blue ink and i used black ink. Other sources have said that if the ink is dark it should be fine or that if its gel they flag it and mark the physical paper but that was all for gcse and im wondering if its the same for nat5s? Will it melt when it gets scanned or is that just friction pens?

Black gel pen inks scan perfectly well most of the time and are marked normally. Good quality gel pens that use inks that are described by the manufacturer as water proof, tamper proof and fade resistant and that are bought from a reputable supplier are likely to be problem free. If scanned answers cannot be read on-screen, attempts will be made to mark the paper copy.

The risks are some gel pen inks are not water proof or are not fade resistant so that accidental exposure to moisture/water, light or heat can cause some of the writing to be lost/unreadable and so some marks could potentially be lost. Some inks soak through the paper, obscuring answers on the other side, some don't bind well to paper and can flake off during handling or processing through scanners.

Erasable pens are a big risk. The ink can be erased for a reason - many are particularly vulnerable to heat and parts of answers could be permanently erased.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
. Hii its me! Just as an update my exam was still marked and im happy with my results!😁
That’s great congratulations. What’s ur plans now
Reply 5
Original post by ebyrne2036
That’s great congratulations. What’s ur plans now

Going to continue on with higher next year😓🙏
Going to continue on with higher next year😓🙏

Hopefully also buying a regular black ball point pen for your future exams...
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Hopefully also buying a regular black ball point pen for your future exams...

Yes haha definitely

Quick Reply

Latest