The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

REMINDER: Apply for Student Finance!

Starting university can be stressful - and trust me, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not your tuition and maintenance loan from Student Finance has gone through!

You can apply by setting up a Student Finance account and completing the online application and providing some proof of identity (either a UK passport or birth/adoption certificate). If needed, remember to ask any parents or guardians for proof of household income, as lower-income households can get higher levels of funding and support in the form of grants. Remember, you should apply for Student Finance from the country where you are from or normally live - e.g. if you live in Scotland but plan to study in Wales, you should still apply through Student Finance Scotland.

Student Finance isn't just for students starting their course, however - make sure to re-apply for next year if you're continuing into second or third year.

To ensure funding goes through around the time you're starting your course, apply as soon as humanly possible - the Student Finance website suggests new students should apply by the 19th May (so today!), and continuing students by the 23rd June.

Approving a new application can take roughly 6-8 weeks, so although the wait can be stressful, don't worry if you don't hear back immediately. It should be shorter for continuing students - I heard back for my second year tuition and maintenance loan only two weeks after applying!

- Eve (Kingston Uni Rep.)
Reply 1
Hi,

I've applied for student finance but a little confused on the maintenance loan. Can I apply for the minimum amount of maintenance loan without providing household income? As I'm reading it, household income only needs to be provided if applying for higher maintenance loan, am I correct?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I've applied for student finance but a little confused on the maintenance loan. Can I apply for the minimum amount of maintenance loan without providing household income? As I'm reading it, household income only needs to be provided if applying for higher maintenance loan, am I correct?

Hi!

Yes, you will receive the minimum maintenance loan if you choose not to provide household income, because they'll presume your household income is over the threshold for the higher levels of maintenance loan. If you know your household income is over the threshold, it's better to apply for just the minimum, as it saves time and simplifies the process.

- Eve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending