The Student Room Group

Low university attendance

Hi,
Due to illness I have missed the first 6 weeks of my first year at university and with being bedridden its been near impossible to do the work from home so I'm very far behind. I have been in touch with my tutors but they haven't offered much support. Does anyone have any advice on catching up, getting support or if things. Can still go well? I'm worried I won't meet the pass mark and I'm still struggling to attend as I'm still unwell.

Scroll to see replies

To be frank I'm surprised that your tutors haven't recommended that you suspend your studies.

Are you now fully recovered?
Reply 2
Yeah, I'd have recommended a suspension by now.
Original post by PQ
To be frank I'm surprised that your tutors haven't recommended that you suspend your studies.

Are you now fully recovered?

Not completely. I'm managing to attend more but it takes its toll. I haven't had anything from the uni asking about why my attendance is so low
Reply 4
Original post by Lx_chxrlx_2004
Not completely. I'm managing to attend more but it takes its toll. I haven't had anything from the uni asking about why my attendance is so low

Really, you need to be in touch with them about this. Lots of institutions unfortunately pay only the slightest attention to home student absences until they get poor assessment results and they start making connections.

Do you have mitigation in place, are you registered with their disability and support services etc? Those are priorities for support being given.
Original post by gjd800
Really, you need to be in touch with them about this. Lots of institutions unfortunately pay only the slightest attention to home student absences until they get poor assessment results and they start making connections.

Do you have mitigation in place, are you registered with their disability and support services etc? Those are priorities for support being given.

Nothing is in place. I'm not registered with disability and support because it's not due to an existing illness, I still don't know what is wrong with me. It was assumed to just be flu but its lasted so long so I don't think there is anything available to me. I've contacted student support services but they haven't gotten back to me
Reply 6
Nothing is in place. I'm not registered with disability and support because it's not due to an existing illness, I still don't know what is wrong with me. It was assumed to just be flu but its lasted so long so I don't think there is anything available to me. I've contacted student support services but they haven't gotten back to me

Honestly I'd chase them about this. You should be able to get some support whilst diagnosis is pending. Are you seeing a doctor about it? Long-term flu symptoms could be something like long covid.
Original post by gjd800
Honestly I'd chase them about this. You should be able to get some support whilst diagnosis is pending. Are you seeing a doctor about it? Long-term flu symptoms could be something like long covid.

I currently have no proof of address to be able to see a gp here so I'm not seeing anyone about it. Went to a walk in centre but they just said bed rest because it was closing 😭
Reply 8
I currently have no proof of address to be able to see a gp here so I'm not seeing anyone about it. Went to a walk in centre but they just said bed rest because it was closing 😭

OK these are issue that you need to be addressing NOW, and I know it's not ideal because you're not well, but you need to register, even if with the University GP. You are going to find it very hard to get any support if you don't address these fundamental problems.

And, perhaps more pressingly, if and when the university realise, you're not going to be able to defend your case and your circumstances because everything they will ask for you, you won't have done.
Original post by gjd800
OK these are issue that you need to be addressing NOW, and I know it's not ideal because you're not well, but you need to register, even if with the University GP. You are going to find it very hard to get any support if you don't address these fundamental problems.

And, perhaps more pressingly, if and when the university realise, you're not going to be able to defend your case and your circumstances because everything they will ask for you, you won't have done.

I have registered to the local one, but like I say I have no proof of residence at the accommodation. I'm not sure if I need this for the university gp or not though
Hi @Lx_chxrlx_2004,

I'm so sorry that you feel unwell, it sounds like this certainly hasn't helped your studies!

I would definitely contact student services again to try and see what support they offer you in terms of your workload/catching up on lectures. Signing up with your uni GP is also a great idea, you should be able to do this without proof of address.

I hope things improve for you!
Mara (UoG Rep)
Original post by UoG Official Rep
Hi @Lx_chxrlx_2004,

I'm so sorry that you feel unwell, it sounds like this certainly hasn't helped your studies!

I would definitely contact student services again to try and see what support they offer you in terms of your workload/catching up on lectures. Signing up with your uni GP is also a great idea, you should be able to do this without proof of address.

I hope things improve for you!
Mara (UoG Rep)

Thank you so much!
Reply 12
I have registered to the local one, but like I say I have no proof of residence at the accommodation. I'm not sure if I need this for the university gp or not though

You don't need proof of address to register with a GP: see https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/gps/how-to-register-with-a-gp-surgery/
Original post by martin7
You don't need proof of address to register with a GP: see https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/gps/how-to-register-with-a-gp-surgery/

Oh, when I registered they said I need to bring an ID and proof of address when I make my first appointment
Reply 14
Some practices do ask for it. Mine does, too.
Reply 15
Oh, when I registered they said I need to bring an ID and proof of address when I make my first appointment

You made reference earlier to your accommodation. Do you have a tenancy agreement? If you're in university accommodation, can you get a letter from the university confirming your address?
Original post by martin7
You made reference earlier to your accommodation. Do you have a tenancy agreement? If you're in university accommodation, can you get a letter from the university confirming your address?

I can try to get one if they'll accept it
Hi,
Due to illness I have missed the first 6 weeks of my first year at university and with being bedridden its been near impossible to do the work from home so I'm very far behind. I have been in touch with my tutors but they haven't offered much support. Does anyone have any advice on catching up, getting support or if things. Can still go well? I'm worried I won't meet the pass mark and I'm still struggling to attend as I'm still unwell.

Hi,

Have you considered deferring for a year until you are feeling better? I know that may not be the solution you want but I know how stressful university courses can be and sometimes you need to put your health first.

I know people who have deferred for a year due to health and they said it was the best decision they ever made as it allowed them to put their full focus into their health and then in time their course and studies once they were fully able for the course.

If you would like to continue your studies this year, I would recommend you ask for a meeting (in person or on video call) with your course lead to ask for their opinion and see if there are any supports available to help you continue with your studies this year. They may be able to provide more support or share some presentations if you are unable to attend physically due to illness. I would also advise that you contact your university disability service and see if they can provide some additional support whilst you are ill.

I hope you feel better soon and that you can continue your course when is best for you,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

Have you considered deferring for a year until you are feeling better? I know that may not be the solution you want but I know how stressful university courses can be and sometimes you need to put your health first.

I know people who have deferred for a year due to health and they said it was the best decision they ever made as it allowed them to put their full focus into their health and then in time their course and studies once they were fully able for the course.

If you would like to continue your studies this year, I would recommend you ask for a meeting (in person or on video call) with your course lead to ask for their opinion and see if there are any supports available to help you continue with your studies this year. They may be able to provide more support or share some presentations if you are unable to attend physically due to illness. I would also advise that you contact your university disability service and see if they can provide some additional support whilst you are ill.

I hope you feel better soon and that you can continue your course when is best for you,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Thank you for your response!
I've requested a meeting with my course lead to hopefully discuss it further. As for deferring for a year, it is an idea I have considered.

With deferring, or ending my studies and trying again next academic year, my concern is my funding and how it may be affected.

But I've also just heard that January exams may not contribute to my grade at the end of the year which, if this is the case, has made me more optimistic about being able to catch up on work and prioritise parts of my studying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending