The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KJ_the_crazy_chick
Heya I want to increase my upper body strength so I can do caving a lot better without losing my curves. What exercises could I do at home?

Push ups and pull ups are ideal for caving
Original post by Powerlifter
Push ups and pull ups are ideal for caving

Thank you. :smile: How many should I do a day?
Thank you. :smile: How many should I do a day?

Lots and lots, you need good endurance with your bodyweight doing that stuff.
Lots and lots, you need good endurance with your bodyweight doing that stuff.

I know! Caving is hard work. Atm I get people to lift me up or act as a boost, which is getting embarrassing. I am also trying to learn to be a flyer in cheerleading too (the girl who get thrown in the air) which also requires good upper body strength.

Can you give me a rough number of chin ups and push ups I need to do so I can get started? I got no idea how many I should do. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 564
I know! Caving is hard work. Atm I get people to lift me up or act as a boost, which is getting embarrassing. I am also trying to learn to be a flyer in cheerleading too (the girl who get thrown in the air) which also requires good upper body strength.

Can you give me a rough number of chin ups and push ups I need to do so I can get started? I got no idea how many I should do. Thank you. :smile:

He already told you - "lots and lots". If you need lifts and boosts I'm assuming you can't do that many (I can't even do 1 unassisted), so just do as many as you can! The number will increase the more you train.
Right, unless you are desperate to do it sack off the legs bums and tums thing there are far more effective ways to use your gym time.

Try this and see how you get on.

Monday HIIT session, shin splints are common with treadmill running, if you can run outdoors.

Try 30 seconds sprinting 30 seconds rest now sprinting should be a full out holy crap there is someone trying to kill me a defile my remains chasing me sprint, if you can maintain a minute its not sprinting.

Just do a max of 12-15 mins

Tuesday Freeweight Session

Squats
Bench Press
Stiff Leg deadlift
Curls

Wed Kickboxing

Thur Rest

Fri Zumba

Sat Rest

Sunday Freeweights

Front Squats
Overhead Press
Deadlifts
Close Grip Bench Press

Just to let you know this is kicking in tomorrow and going to start a blog- although i'm changing it slightly by adding a swim after my free weight sessions :smile:
Original post by Subcutaneous
Just to let you know this is kicking in tomorrow and going to start a blog- although i'm changing it slightly by adding a swim after my free weight sessions :smile:

You may find swimming a little tough after weights if you train properly. But as long as its after and not before then give it a try.
You may find swimming a little tough after weights if you train properly. But as long as its after and not before then give it a try.

I'll give it a go..if its too much i'll just stop. Slightly worried about the deadlift..:redface:
Silly, noobish question, but will doing press-ups make me flatchested/lose boob mass? I really can't afford to lose any!
Original post by NihilisticMystics
Silly, noobish question, but will doing press-ups make me flatchested/lose boob mass? I really can't afford to lose any!

You are correct, it is a silly question.

Boobs are fatty tissue, if you lose overall fat your babalons will also lose mass - hench why fat girls tend to have big mamma jammers and skinny girls tend to have acorns on an ironing board.

So in an indirect way yes due to excercise burning kcals in both execution and recovery - but not in the "OMG excercising my chest means this or that" type of way.

Most certainly, loving it!
I don't really have access to a gym atm due to money, and atm I'm doing a bare minimum of half hr cardio a day but usually more than that e.g. mon tennis for an hr and cycling for 45 minutes, tues a wierd combination of jump rope and jogging for over an hr, wed hour of cycling and 40 minute jog. What toning exercises do you reccomend? I was told press ups for arms, but I tried doing the girly ones, it was just NOT happening :/ i felt so pathetic
http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks

^^ Very interesting and worth reading for the girls who are overweight currently
Hi I'm new here I have finished my second year at uni (owing to exams still to be taken) however during the easter break I cracked a rib, this has since healed however on a recent weigh in I was told I was overweight as I am about 63kg and only about 5'2.

I dont feel healthy since my rib has healed and feel lergethic/lack of energy and I did eat rather bad foods at uni but ate healthy at home fresh fruits/plently of veg.

Exercise wise I used to go up and down stairs at uni, walk everywhere and go riding regulary. However I need to get back to been fit and tim my tum/bum/arms and generally improve myself.

I dont have access to a close gym near me and dont have the confidence either. Money is a problem no job and limited funds. Also need to be fit for when I do my work experience in cambridge for two weeks.

How can I go about this?

My current idea I have
Monday: push-ups 15 x2 sets
Tuesday: skipping an hour
Wednesday: jogging/running hald an hour
Thursday: Rest
Friday: ???
Saturday: Riding (every other week) or half an hour skipping and push ups and half hour of strecthes
Sunday: Rest

Also is it worth getting a wii fit? Asking so that both me and my mum can use it and other family members and do some other fitness areas? Asking as it will be an investment for everyone and not just myself and I can do zumba and some other dances

I have started eating healther as well
Breakfast: OJ and cereal or Boiled eggs with toast
snack: chocolate bar
Dinner: need some help in eating healthier here during the week
snack: piece of fruit
Tea: This is not set in stone as I live with my family my mum normally does something quick and simple/fast food but when I do myself tea it something pasta/chicken or sampi.
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Hi I'm new here I have finished my second year at uni (owing to exams still to be taken) however during the easter break I cracked a rib, this has since healed however on a recent weigh in I was told I was overweight as I am about 63kg and only about 5'2.

I dont feel healthy since my rib has healed and feel lergethic/lack of energy and I did eat rather bad foods at uni but ate healthy at home fresh fruits/plently of veg.

Exercise wise I used to go up and down stairs at uni, walk everywhere and go riding regulary. However I need to get back to been fit and tim my tum/bum/arms and generally improve myself.

I dont have access to a close gym near me and dont have the confidence either. Money is a problem no job and limited funds. Also need to be fit for when I do my work experience in cambridge for two weeks.

How can I go about this?

My current idea I have
Monday: push-ups 15 x2 sets
Tuesday: skipping an hour
Wednesday: jogging/running hald an hour
Thursday: Rest
Friday: ???
Saturday: Riding (every other week) or half an hour skipping and push ups and half hour of strecthes
Sunday: Rest

Also is it worth getting a wii fit? Asking so that both me and my mum can use it and other family members and do some other fitness areas? Asking as it will be an investment for everyone and not just myself and I can do zumba and some other dances

I have started eating healther as well
Breakfast: OJ and cereal or Boiled eggs with toast
snack: chocolate bar
Dinner: need some help in eating healthier here during the week
snack: piece of fruit
Tea: This is not set in stone as I live with my family my mum normally does something quick and simple/fast food but when I do myself tea it something pasta/chicken or sampi.

The workout and diet need to be addressed.

If you are serious about losing body fat you need to up the ante a fair bit.
Try something more like this for a home based workout.

Monday
Push Ups 5 sets of 15
Jump Squats 5 sets of 15
Crunches 5 sets of 15

Tuesday -
Skipping 15 mins HIIT

Wednesday-
Repeat Mondays workout substitute crunches for leg raises

Thursday
Sprints 15 mins HIIT

Friday
Repeat Mondays workout

Saturday
Riding as you say or Skipping HIIT

Sunday
Steady State running about 30-45 mins

As for the diet you need to take control.

Do NOT snack on a chocolate bar, have some fruit and nuts instead.
Lunch time keep it basic, a good protein source fish or white meat (not breaded, fried etc) with some veg or salad and a wholemeal carb/fibre source such as brown rice.

For dinner fast food is a no no, none of them are any good at all for fat loss.
This needs to mimic your lunch, portion of clean protein, vegetables and a small portion of wholegrain fibrous carbs.

Don't kid yourself with training, the plan here is hardly anything at all and if you stick to your guns this should become easypretty quickly.
Reply 576
Original post by Sir Tom Flash
Why no love for dips and chinups man?

dips and chips
Original post by hhcc
dips and chips

Thank you for such a valid contribution.

Thank you for such a valid contribution.

For the love of God, please come and address the bull**** in the weightloss thread. They need somebody to come and shout them out on their crappy advice. :sigh: And maybe mine, who knows? :erm:
Reply 579
Hi Powerlifter :-)

Over the last week or so I have started running on the treadmill and have noticed my knees have already started creeking when i walk up the stairs, I was wondering if there is any way to prevent knee damage or am I just going to have to switch to a soft surface?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest