The Student Room Group

Will the calories effect my growth

Hi, I am 14 years old and currently 82.6kgs(very overweight). I seriously need to make a change. If I eat 1500 calories everyday will my growth be stunted as I want maximise my height growth and not stunt in. Also do you have any tips on losing weight. Right now I am just eating around 1800kcal and doing 30 minute HIIT workouts like 4 times a week.(Please do not say I shouldn't be worrying about my weight because honestly I should and I want a change)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
you wouldn't stop growing unless your caloric intake became too low for your body to keep up, however 1500 calories a day would be fine! depending on your height (you can google this for more precise numbers) as long as you're in a healthy deficit you'll lose weight and keep growing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by delsiya
you wouldn't stop growing unless your caloric intake became too low for your body to keep up, however 1500 calories a day would be fine! depending on your height (you can google this for more precise numbers) as long as you're in a healthy deficit you'll lose weight and keep growing :smile:

I am around 5 feet 7 and a half so around 171 cm
Original post by js234
I am around 5 feet 7 and a half so around 171 cm

Calorie deficit would be the best way to go about in my opinion. This is possibly the best non-invasive treatment for weight loss, though it does require good commitment. Avoid saturated and trans fat food, as well as oily food. Ensure, with your calorie deficit, you are having your essential vitamins and minerals, proteins, carbs and the healthy fats (basically a balanced diet)

Nutrition definitely plays a part to your height, however, there’s a hormone called Growth Hormone that depends on your height, as well as other hormones such as oestrogen. I believe you might have already gotten your growth spurt by 14 or midway into it, but free fatty acids and high glucose levels can actually impact your growth hormone levels and decrease the secretion of the hormone. So this is why it’s important that your diet avoids high glucose and high fats as this can reduce the amount of growth hormone.

As long as you are having a balanced diet and you don’t severely starve yourself (1500 calories should be okay).

Now with your HIIT, I suggest maybe trying to do intermittent fasting, but do double check if you are okay doing this. Essentially, when the body is in the state of fasting, they typically will tend to use up more fat than carbohydrates. As you train your cardio, your body learns to use your fats first before your glucose, so I suggest taking a look into that.

Hope this helps! Always consult with your GP about any questions to do with your health.
How tall are you?
Reply 5
Original post by UrFellowMedic
Calorie deficit would be the best way to go about in my opinion. This is possibly the best non-invasive treatment for weight loss, though it does require good commitment. Avoid saturated and trans fat food, as well as oily food. Ensure, with your calorie deficit, you are having your essential vitamins and minerals, proteins, carbs and the healthy fats (basically a balanced diet)

Nutrition definitely plays a part to your height, however, there’s a hormone called Growth Hormone that depends on your height, as well as other hormones such as oestrogen. I believe you might have already gotten your growth spurt by 14 or midway into it, but free fatty acids and high glucose levels can actually impact your growth hormone levels and decrease the secretion of the hormone. So this is why it’s important that your diet avoids high glucose and high fats as this can reduce the amount of growth hormone.

As long as you are having a balanced diet and you don’t severely starve yourself (1500 calories should be okay).

Now with your HIIT, I suggest maybe trying to do intermittent fasting, but do double check if you are okay doing this. Essentially, when the body is in the state of fasting, they typically will tend to use up more fat than carbohydrates. As you train your cardio, your body learns to use your fats first before your glucose, so I suggest taking a look into that.

Hope this helps! Always consult with your GP about any questions to do with your health.

Wait does that mean that possibly I won’t grow anymore😭. I need a growth spurt😂
Reply 6
Original post by js234

Usually you stop growing height wise at like 16 but your muscles keep developing!!
Original post by js234

You’ll still grow, growth spurt is just the period of rapid growth that occurs due to the growth plate in the bones fusing at both ends. Growth hormone, as well as other factors, play a role into ensuring growth plate grows before the fusion. Typically girls have their growth spurt much earlier than boys due to difference in oestrogen levels as well as hitting puberty earlier (explains why girls are typically taller than guys in primary school and in very early secondary school).

Growth post growth spurt is generally a much much slower rate. But like the other poster said, your muscles will still develop!
Reply 8
People are talking about a calorie deficit, but you are in one if you reduce your intake and/or burn them off during exercise. You even burn calories when you are sitting around, so don't pick a random figure of 1500 out of the air without doing some research.

You also need to make sure you are eating (mostly) healthy balanced meals and not missing out on important nutrition at your age whilst you are still developing.

Best thing is to see your GP.

Quick Reply

Latest